R. Orwell marinas

spottydog

www.Eastern-Telephones.co.uk
Looking at options for a marina berth this year, as my wife will be onboard more frequently now I would like to have a reasonable standard of bar/restaurant close by.
Has Shotley got an on-site bar and restaurant these days and is it an improvement from a few years ago.
SYH catering facilities seems to me to have maintained a good standard over the years unlike Woolverstone.
I have been based at Woolverstone on and off for 15+ years and have been pretty unhappy with their bar and restaurant for the last 5 or so. New people to run the place come and go regularly but it always appears to be run for a clientele that is happy with fast food and a Chef and Brewer type offering these days.

Jokani

Visit site
Other than Ipswich itself, I am not sure you will find a marina on the Orwell with a good bar/restaurant. Shotley is great for access to the sea, services and friendly staff. A few options for eating within 10 mins driving distance including the Butt & Oyster

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Looking at options for a marina berth this year, as my wife will be onboard more frequently now I would like to have a reasonable standard of bar/restaurant close by.
Has Shotley got an on-site bar and restaurant these days and is it an improvement from a few years ago.
SYH catering facilities seems to me to have maintained a good standard over the years unlike Woolverstone.
I have been based at Woolverstone on and off for 15+ years and have been pretty unhappy with their bar and restaurant for the last 5 or so. New people to run the place come and go regularly but it always appears to be run for a clientele that is happy with fast food and a Chef and Brewer type offering these days.

The Shipwreck at Shotley seems to be closed more than it's open.

I'd echo your thought about SYH and Wolverstone.

We moved from Shotley to Ipswich just over a year ago and are spoiled for choice for pubs/bars/restaurants and takeaways.

Leighb

Visit site
The restaurant at Woolverstone is no more, there was a fire last autumn and we understand that MDL do not plan to re-open it. Allegedly the fire was set deliberately by the then manager who had heard that his contract would not be renewed!

johnalison

Visit site
I think we have to accept that post-covid the position regarding staffing and maintaining a small catering business is going to be difficult in many places and that many of these marinas or nearby outlets will come and go. I’m sure the situation will settle down eventually but I don’t think anyone can look more than a year or two ahead.

Plum

Visit site
Suffolk Yacht Harbor has a nice coffee shop next to the road entrance barrier.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

ex-Gladys

Visit site
The restaurant at Woolverstone is no more, there was a fire last autumn and we understand that MDL do not plan to re-open it. Allegedly the fire was set deliberately by the then manager who had heard that his contract would not be renewed!
The Loch & Quay was THE WORST... it's loss is a benefit to mankind...

Leighb

Visit site
The Loch & Quay was THE WORST... it's loss is a benefit to mankind...
We only ate there a couple of times because for some reason the YC was shut and I won't disagree. It does means MDL berthholders have no bar/restaurant. They can of course join RHYC.:)

Slowboat35

Visit site
It looks as if the Haven Ports Yacht Club at Levington (the lightship) has no catering contract at present, the previous one didn't seem to last long. It is also £170 to join which just for the privilege of eating here seems to me rather hefty - plus all that silly malarkey about proposers and seconders who now you well. Gotta keep the riff-raf out! You'd think that a marina berth would qualify but apparently not.
The harbourside cafe is very nice but only open to mid afternoon and the Ship pub in the village is usually heavily booked in summer so options are limited.
The ideal solution would be to keep a fast RIB there and zip off to the Alma in Harwich when you need a feed.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It looks as if the Haven Ports Yacht Club at Levington (the lightship) has no catering contract at present, the previous one didn't seem to last long. It is also £170 to join which just for the privilege of eating here seems to me rather hefty - plus all that silly malarkey about proposers and seconders who now you well. Gotta keep the riff-raf out! You'd think that a marina berth would qualify but apparently not.
The harbourside cafe is very nice but only open to mid afternoon and the Ship pub in the village is usually heavily booked in summer so options are limited.
The ideal solution would be to keep a fast RIB there and zip off to the Alma in Harwich when you need a feed.
I've never had a problem eating there as a guest, but my last experience is pre-covid.