Question on shipping lanes between Southwold/Lowestoft and Ijmuiden

aidancoughlan

Visit site
There's not many shipping lanes where we come from, and we are planning on a trip from Southwold/Lowestoft to Ijmuiden in the near future. I've been looking at charts online, and am obviously aware of the shipping lanes. The route seems fairly straightforward, but still .. there's lot's of purple lines, and I want to be sure we understand it right!.

The first "Y" shaped lane(s) ... need to cross at rightangles obviously (position (1)+(2) on the chartlet attached).

At point (3) on the chartlet, there is a defined lane north of the direct track. I've not done any tidal planning yet, but if our track takes us south of this lane - into the area circled with a Question mark... are we "officially" not in the shipping lane ? There is a large arrow going south in that circle - that's presumably indicating southbound traffic - is the size of the arrow significant (it's bigger than the two small ones coming out of the "defined" lane north of it?

Assuming we survive past those lanes, the most likely approach seems to be south of the east-west shipping lane at point (4) approaching Ijmuiden ?
There is a "defined" North-South shipping lane just south of that , at point (4A) on the chartlet (TSS Maas North I think it;s called) - we will probably pass to the north of the defined are, are we "officially" in the shipping lane at that point ?

I'm aware of the windfarm south of that lane at point (5), our plan is to head north of that, while keeping south of the big-ship channel approach Ijmuiden.

Does this all make sense, or am I missing something ? Anything else to watch out in terms of shipping traffic for that I haven't spotted ?

regards & thanks,
Aidan.

BTW, many thanks to those who chipped in on my previous thread on which Marina here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...Schichpol-airport&highlight=schipol+amsterdam. We haven't committed to a berth, but will update when we do and relate our experiences.

shipping lanes.jpg

Attachments

• shipping lanes.jpg
    shipping lanes.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 4

Plum

Visit site
There's not many shipping lanes where we come from, and we are planning on a trip from Southwold/Lowestoft to Ijmuiden in the near future. I've been looking at charts online, and am obviously aware of the shipping lanes. The route seems fairly straightforward, but still .. there's lot's of purple lines, and I want to be sure we understand it right!.

The first "Y" shaped lane(s) ... need to cross at rightangles obviously (position (1)+(2) on the chartlet attached).

At point (3) on the chartlet, there is a defined lane north of the direct track. I've not done any tidal planning yet, but if our track takes us south of this lane - into the area circled with a Question mark... are we "officially" not in the shipping lane ? There is a large arrow going south in that circle - that's presumably indicating southbound traffic - is the size of the arrow significant (it's bigger than the two small ones coming out of the "defined" lane north of it?

Assuming we survive past those lanes, the most likely approach seems to be south of the east-west shipping lane at point (4) approaching Ijmuiden ?
There is a "defined" North-South shipping lane just south of that , at point (4A) on the chartlet (TSS Maas North I think it;s called) - we will probably pass to the north of the defined are, are we "officially" in the shipping lane at that point ?

I'm aware of the windfarm south of that lane at point (5), our plan is to head north of that, while keeping south of the big-ship channel approach Ijmuiden.

Does this all make sense, or am I missing something ? Anything else to watch out in terms of shipping traffic for that I haven't spotted ?

regards & thanks,
Aidan.

BTW, many thanks to those who chipped in on my previous thread on which Marina here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...Schichpol-airport&highlight=schipol+amsterdam. We haven't committed to a berth, but will update when we do and relate our experiences.

View attachment 64870

Do ensure your charts are post June 1st 2017 as there were some significant changes to the shipping lanes on the other side of the North Sea that came into effect on that date although i can't tell from your chart if they will affect you or not.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site

Sheff

Visit site
Hi Aidancoughlan,

Don't have all the books and charts to hand but, from what I can make out on your attached chart, points 1 & 2 are on "deep water routeing" for ships and are not part of a TSS therefore rule 10 does not apply. It may be advisory to cross at right angles to make best progress across if ships are in the vicinity but you are not required to do so.

The TSS's are where there are shaded areas on the chart - not every outlined lane.

In the vicinity of TSS's there are often "precautionary areas" - again, rule 10 doesn't apply because they are not part of the TSS but extreme caution is advised when in those areas.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

tillergirl

Visit site
I covered the TSS changes 20 weeks ago in the weekly NtM. The OP's intended route is miles away as only the West and North Hinders and the Maas West approaches are relevant to the changes.

Re 1 and 2 - You are required to head at rightangles to the TSS not 'cross at rightangles'. Obviously the tide will take you northward or southwards depending on the time. Worth planning to time to take the advantage of the tide as best you can.

No 3 - note sure I can see clearly enough but I don't see a TSS there. Looks just like 'other' chart marks

At your question mark, I don't think there is a TSS; the TSS has stopped short further north as best I see - but shipping will be generally heading south from that TSS further north as it will be wanting to join the North Hinder TSS (which is well south of your intended route.

No 4 and 5 - looks sense to me. My chart hasn't got the right scale but I would have thought you could skirt south of the edge of the TSS as you head for Ijmuiden - and north of the windfarm - not the largest windfarm at the moment - 43 turbines only.

Can't see any problems to me.

westhinder

Visit site
I agree with Tillergirl: the changes to the TSS are on the Dutch/Belgian border, so not relevant to your proposed trip.
The route you have planned looks right to me. Aim to go between the IJmuiden approach channel and the windfarm to the south of it. You will see shipping during most of your crossing, but it mainly follows clearly defined routes and thus is straightforward to deal with.
I would not stray too far to the south of your track, as shipping will only be denser the closer you go to Maasmond, the entrance to Rotterdam harbour

tillergirl

Visit site
The TSS's are where there are shaded areas on the chart - not every outlined lane.

In the vicinity of TSS's there are often "precautionary areas" - again, rule 10 doesn't apply because they are not part of the TSS but extreme caution is advised when in those areas.

Regret I don't agree. TSS are shown either by separation zones (the shaded parts) or lines or both. Dotted direction arrows are not part of a TSS but are "Recommended directions of traffic flows". 1 and 2 crosses TSSs, 3 and ? do not.

tillergirl

Visit site
As Little Grebe says.

On my web site I have provided a Supplement (Free! and you don't even have to have the book) for using the tidal advantage across the Dover Straits TSS. There are several free miles to Boulogne or Calais by chosing the best time to start the 'crossing' of the TSS.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Re 1 and 2 - You are required to head at rightangles to the TSS not 'cross at rightangles'.

OK, here's where i'm confused.

a) I don't think the points marked 1 and 2 are part of the TSS, that starts further North. On my vector charts those parts of the channel are marked DW and have double headed arrows in them, The double headed arrows are not on the VMF raster charts though.

b) "You are required to head at rightangles to the TSS" I'm not aware of any requirement to head to a TSS in any particular fashion.

c) "not 'cross at rightangles'. " Rule 10 states otherwise. Ones heading should be at right angles to the direction of traffic flow.

I'm well aware that you know what the Colregs state, which is why your comment is confusing.

Boz

Visit site
Just to stick in my two pennoth.....

The 'Y' feature charted (1 & 2) is a deep water route, not a TSS. TSS Rules do not apply, there is no separation, but in my experience ships generally stick to 'Red to Red'.

My Departure is usually further South (R. Orwell) but I head for North ShipWash and then set course for the RACON and then De Ruyters Gas Platform (Beware the exclusion Zone). I am a bloke who likes physical Waypoints rather than virtual :) Through the Gap, and then North of the Wind Farm. Usually several large ships parked here waiting,I presume, to enter the North Sea Canal. We found it on at least one occasion pretty uncomfortable and Rolly on the approach to Ijmuiden, a bit disconcerting after a 20 hour flog.

From Southwold or Lowestoft Due East should be good until you pick up De Ruyters.

The most useful tool apart from the MkI Eyeball, was the iPad/ iPhone app that Calculates and shows CPA and TPA for AIS contacts as there is a lot of North/ South traffic.

If you stop at Ijmuiden Marina, follow the long pontoon around as there are loads of Berths (Green Tags) nearer to the Gate than the immediately stop on the left just inside the entrance. Unless the Amsterdam Boat Show is on, when Ijmuiden becomes a bit more crowded with Boats turfed out of Amsterdam Marina..... :)

Have a great trip, the Dutch are super people....

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
OK, here's where i'm confused.

b) "You are required to head at rightangles to the TSS" I'm not aware of any requirement to head to a TSS in any particular fashion.

c) "not 'cross at rightangles'. " Rule 10 states otherwise. Ones heading should be at right angles to the direction of traffic flow.

I'm well aware that you know what the Colregs state, which is why your comment is confusing.

I'm confused about why you're confused!?!? :)

You're both saying the same thing!

The regulations require a crossing vessel to head at or as near as possible to 90 degrees to the flow of traffic in a TSS lane

It's the heading that matters, not the course over the ground

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I'm confused about why you're confused!?!? :)

You're both saying the same thing!

The regulations require a crossing vessel to head at or as near as possible to 90 degrees to the flow of traffic in a TSS lane

You're right, we are saying the same thing, i'd misread what TG wrote.

However, rule 10 won't apply to 1 and 2, as they are South of the TSS.

tillergirl

Visit site
I accept the point on the TSS. If there is a solid outline of the arrow tis a TSS, if the arrow has a dotted outline of the arrow it is just recommended directions of traffic flow. if there is no arrow, I assume it is only an IMO recommended route rather than a mandatory one.

As to track or heading, Rule 10 was probably worst drafted text ever. The 1987 amendment however made it clearer: A vessel shall, so far as practicable, avoid crossing traffic lanes but if obliged to do so shall cross on a heading as nearly as practicable at right angles to the general direction of traffic flow.

Plum

Visit site
Oops, made a post last night recapping on all above, but deleted it this morning while trying to edit on phone :-(
Anyone know how to undelete!?
Many thanks 4 all info.
Deleted text as follows...... it was still on the screen of another device....

Thanks folks, some good info... might have more specific Q's tomorrow on the actual real-life practice/strategies of avoiding ships later, but very late now, just read these... for now... here's what I gather from so far... many thanks.

*2017 lane changes at westerschelde...*

---Quote---
Do ensure your charts are post June 1st 2017 as there were some significant changes to the shipping lanes on the other side of the North Sea
---End Quote---

---Quote---
Westhinder posted some info here that relates more to the Shelde area http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...t=#post6084749
---End Quote---

---Quote---
The OP's intended route is miles away as only the West and North Hinders and the Maas West approaches are relevant to the changes.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
I agree with Tillergirl: the changes to the TSS are on the Dutch/Belgian border, so not relevant to your proposed trip.
---End Quote---
Thanks 4 reminder ... was aware of this & previous thread here OK, but will be well north of it. In any case, have a 2017 2120 north sea atlas chart on the way, which I believe will have the 2017 lane updates in it - will be handy if plans change.

*Points 1 & 1 on chart*

---Quote---
from what I can make out on your attached chart, points 1 & 2 are on "deep water routeing" for ships and are not part of a TSS therefore rule 10 does not apply. It may be advisory to cross at right angles to make best progress across if ships are in the vicinity but you are not required to do so.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
I don't think the points marked 1 and 2 are part of the TSS, that starts further North. On my vector charts those parts of the channel are marked DW and have double headed arrows in them, The double headed arrows are not on the VMF raster charts though.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
The 'Y' feature charted (1 & 2) is a deep water route, not a TSS. TSS Rules do not apply, there is no separation, but in my experience ships generally stick to 'Red to Red'.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
However, rule 10 won't apply to 1 and 2, as they are South of the TSS.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
I accept the point on the TSS. If there is a solid outline of the arrow tis a TSS, if the arrow has a dotted outline of the arrow it is just recommended directions of traffic flow. if there is no arrow, I assume it is only an IMO recommended route rather than a mandatory one.
---End Quote---
Sounds like this is not really a "lane" from the Rule 10 perspective ... will read a bit further , but will probably treat it like one to be safe !.
Found some promising reading material here, havent gone through it yet http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/APN/Chapt-27.pdf

Attachment 64893 (http://www.ybw.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64893)

*Point 3 on chart*

---Quote---
No 3 - note sure I can see clearly enough but I don't see a TSS there. Looks just like 'other' chart marks
---End Quote---

---Quote---
At your question mark, I don't think there is a TSS; the TSS has stopped short further north as best I see - but shipping will be generally heading south from that TSS further north as it will be wanting to join the North Hinder TSS (which is well south of your intended route.
---End Quote---
That's what I suspected the "TSS" has stopped north of where I wrote (3)/drew the circle... good to get another view/confirmation though. I guess the (dashed) downward arrow shown on the right hand edge of the read circle I drew just highlights that there will be lots of ships exiting here. I think I would prefer to cross a lane - I suspect this area immediately south of the land termination might be less predictable than the lane itself if ships exiting are going different places, but it's a very large scale chart, I guess they will be well dispersed by the time they cross our track.

*Angle for crossing TSS*

---Quote---
Re 1 and 2 - You are required to head at rightangles to the TSS not 'cross at rightangles'. Obviously the tide will take you northward or southwards depending on the time. Worth planning to time to take the advantage of the tide as best you can.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
i.e. your heading should be a right angles to the TSS, not your course over ground (unless for some reason there was no tide)
---End Quote---

---Quote---
"not 'cross at rightangles'. " Rule 10 states otherwise. Ones heading should be at right angles to the direction of traffic flow.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
---End Quote---

---Quote---
As to track or heading, Rule 10 was probably worst drafted text ever. The 1987 amendment however made it clearer: A vessel shall, so far as practicable, avoid crossing traffic lanes but if obliged to do so shall cross on a heading as nearly as practicable at right angles to the general direction of traffic flow.
---End Quote---
Whatever the wording, I'm clear on this one OK ... picture worth a thousand words....
Attachment 64892 (http://www.ybw.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64892)

*What exactly is the "TSS"?*

---Quote---
---End Quote---

---Quote---
Regret I don't agree. TSS are shown either by separation zones (the shaded parts) or lines or both. Dotted direction arrows are not part of a TSS but are "Recommended directions of traffic flows".
---End Quote---

---Quote---
---End Quote---
A bit of further googling suggests both ... can (optionally) include shaded areas in between, or not as the case may be.

*Point 4/4A/5 on chart*

---Quote---
No 4 and 5 - looks sense to me. My chart hasn't got the right scale but I would have thought you could skirt south of the edge of the TSS as you head for Ijmuiden - and north of the windfarm - not the largest windfarm at the moment - 43 turbines only.
---End Quote---

---Quote---
The route you have planned looks right to me. Aim to go between the IJmuiden approach channel and the windfarm to the south of it. You will see shipping during most of your crossing, but it mainly follows clearly defined routes and thus is straightforward to deal with.
---End Quote---
Sounds Good... we are generally on the right track so.

*Precautionary areas*

---Quote---
---End Quote---
Yes, will be looking closer at different scale charts to double check, will avoid roundabouts etc.

*Suggested route*

---Quote---
My Departure is usually further South (R. Orwell) but I head for North ShipWash and then set course for the RACON and then De Ruyters Gas Platform (Beware the exclusion Zone). I am a bloke who likes physical Waypoints rather than virtual Through the Gap, and then North of the Wind Farm.........From Southwold or Lowestoft Due East should be good until you pick up De Ruyters..
---End Quote---

---Quote---
If you stop at Ijmuiden Marina, follow the long pontoon around as there are loads of Berths (Green Tags) nearer to the Gate than the immediately stop on the left just inside the entrance.
---End Quote---
Thanks for this, good to get first hand experience of Ijmuiden where we plan to arrive.

*AIS*

---Quote---
The most useful tool apart from the MkI Eyeball, was the iPad/ iPhone app that Calculates and shows CPA and TPA for AIS contacts as there is a lot of North/ South traffic
---End Quote---
Shiny new WIFI AIS & ipad apps just installed ! :)

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

TLouth7

Visit site
I have done this from the Orwell to Ijmuiden, which sent us right through the junction South of (1), (2). As stated by others this is not technically a TSS, and is not particularly busy. We had the interesting experience of a ship passing astern of us Northbound, then doing a U-turn and passing in front of us Southbound.

We found the shipping entering/exiting the TSS immediately West of (4a) to be more confusing, as it was dark and they were not all moving in logical directions.

Timing the crossing to do quieter bits in the dark is perhaps more important than tidal considerations, unless you plan to travel along the coast at either end, personally I would not choose to close the coast at Ijmuiden in the dark (not that there is much of it at this time of year). Passing the gas platform in the dark is pretty spectacular though...

Do you actually have to avoid the windfarm, or is it acceptable to sail through it? We were turned away by a guard vessel a couple of years ago but that was while it was still being constructed.

Last edited:

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
The aim is to cross at right angles as its the shortest distance and therefore should take the shortest time and that should be the intention, however it's often the case that either the wind is on the nose or a series of ships require a turn to stb of 12 to 15 degrees or so for safe passage.
With ais transponder the ship will see your course, speed and intent and will often call you up direct and either ask you to hold course and speed or occasionally will request you slow or alter course.
We had both this year on our way to Oostende but had no traffic on the way back.

The only ships that give me concern crossing the lanes are the big trawlers that run up and down between the lanes, you're never quite sure whether they will continue or turn and at night it can be a bit worrying.