question for mechanics

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Ohhh yes they would, even the top builders dont really give a monkeys what and where they fit control systems, wiring, plumbing and main service items, I see this every day.

Im going to compile a list of items that really annoy me about boats and how they are built, I will also add how I think it should have been done, I wont apply this to any particular make or model, just what comes along at no particular given time.

So dont think you are a victim, or that you have bought a bad boat, there all the same.

oGaryo

Visit site
in my short experience, my Bayliner was an absolute pain with access, or lack of, making a simple job a pain in the Ar$e, RInker isn't much better for the low lying parts of the engine but the Fletcher was a dream in comparison.. could even get in the engine bay to look under the engine and it was only a 19ft cuddy

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Exactly the same in sailing boats - modern boats are often built with all the interior and systems fitted & installed before the deck is fitted. Dreadful if you are trying to repair/update anything.

aquapower

Visit site
I think some engines could be designed better to make servicing easier ie Yanmar impellers on 6LP, then you get Cummins qsb a dream to work on, the blame not allways on the boat builder.

Latestarter1

Visit site
I think some engines could be designed better to make servicing easier ie Yanmar impellers on 6LP, then you get Cummins qsb a dream to work on, the blame not allways on the boat builder.

I am not wild about many boat builders efforts, however can agree totally with you on this one. Try servicing the raw water pump on a IVECO NEF engine without removing the charge air cooler, I will eat my car if you can do it!

DAKA

Visit site
have you ever had a boat where you cannot get to service and engine ??

I wanted a Princess 360, I looked on one with Volvo Penta 63 L/P being the most popular choice, I took one look in the engine bay and walked away due to the lack of access to the service items.

It is common to have to remove the raw water pump in order to service the impellers, sort of acceptable as it doesnt take too long but I wouldn't want that task at sea.

I had a Bayliner that needed a new fuel tank and I had to take the floor of the rear cabin out with a circular saw.

The problem is with most new owners, very few are diligent like jfm/gludy and care about the design.
Most couldnt give a monkeys if the mechanic cant service the engines.
Its not until the 3rd or 4th owner that servicing becomes an issue.

Large marine companies will charge for a service which includes an impeller change but the mechanic will frequently decide it will last another year to avoid the pain in the Rs removal of the Raw water pump.

Ive just bought an impeller for my boat off ebay, should be £68, brand new one for £24 !

I couldnt understand how it could be so cheap but I am thinking perhaps someone else has already paid for it to be fitted to their boat as part of a service but the mechanic decided it was too difficult and it will wait till next year, all well and good as long as the next mechanic doesnt decide the same next year.

Its best to try to use the smaller one man bands who's own reputation is on the line and they will give you option of servicing or leaving to next year but at least you know what the score is.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I have to take my heat exchangers off (and drain the system) to get at the engine water pumps. To get at a stern gland I have to remove an intercooler, which is not bolted to the engine anyway!

Boats (and more so ships) are said to be built by the Olympic method. When the whistle blows all the fiiters leg it to the slip wiht their compnents. A man with a 25mm bit of electrical conduit runs a lot faster than a man carrying 150mm exhaust hose, who in turn runs faster than a man lugging 500kg of diesel engine:)

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I wanted a Princess 360, I looked on one with Volvo Penta 63 L/P being the most popular choice, I took one look in the engine bay and walked away due to the lack of access to the service items.

It is common to have to remove the raw water pump in order to service the impellers, sort of acceptable as it doesnt take too long but I wouldn't want that task at sea.

I had a Bayliner that needed a new fuel tank and I had to take the floor of the rear cabin out with a circular saw.

The problem is with most new owners, very few are diligent like jfm/gludy and care about the design.
Most couldnt give a monkeys if the mechanic cant service the engines.
Its not until the 3rd or 4th owner that servicing becomes an issue.

Large marine companies will charge for a service which includes an impeller change but the mechanic will frequently decide it will last another year to avoid the pain in the Rs removal of the Raw water pump.

Ive just bought an impeller for my boat off ebay, should be £68, brand new one for £24 !

I couldnt understand how it could be so cheap but I am thinking perhaps someone else has already paid for it to be fitted to their boat as part of a service but the mechanic decided it was too difficult and it will wait till next year, all well and good as long as the next mechanic doesnt decide the same next year.

Its best to try to use the smaller one man bands who's own reputation is on the line and they will give you option of servicing or leaving to next year but at least you know what the score is.

Im still compiling my list, but the Princess 360 with the 63 series engines in are really easy to change the impeller on a service, the settee comes out, then the whole floor lifts out in 3 sections, when you have removed both the oil filters its really easy, likewise on the phantom 40,though a pain when its just an impeller only failure.

Im a great believer in taking a boat to pieces in order to get it right with no leaks.

I have come across volvo engines years old with the original green painted filters on, mainly on installations in Targa type engine rooms, and flybridges with furniture over the engines.

Most sterndrive boats are quite easy to service, but major repairs are another story, usually engine out for simple things like trim hoses on DPH drives.

Early Fairline Sedans and some Broom boats are also a nightmare with certain makes of engine in.

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
Hi Paul

have you ever worked on a pearl 43....??
think i'm going to take a saw down the boat next weekend, cant bare the thought of things that might go wrong and not being able to get to them.
the hot water tank is in that area and its 11 years old so could go anytime now and need an element.
guess it normal to destruct a boat to make access.