Queen's funeral, should the Southampton Boat Show close in respect.

Should the Southampton Boat Show close as a mark of respect for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth?

• Yes, the show should close.

Votes: 39 20.1%
  • No, observe a period of silence at midday.

Votes: 101 52.1%
  • No, the show should open as normal.

Votes: 39 20.1%
  • I do not care.

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

capnsensible

Visit site
Having been to many, many trade shows I'd be surprised if many exhibitors cover their costs. The foot fall is miniscule. I can get lots of 'SBS deals' online. As for people 'buying' boats at the show, all that would have been agreed well beforehand and only PR.
I've been a boat show exhibitor a number of times. I'm aware of the costs......

dunedin

Visit site
Having been to many, many trade shows I'd be surprised if many exhibitors cover their costs. The foot fall is miniscule. I can get lots of 'SBS deals' online. As for people 'buying' boats at the show, all that would have been agreed well beforehand and only PR.
Yes, and many / most of the exhibitors who are not English South coast based will be paying substantial costs to stay in local hotels. All the costs are fixed, insufficient time to go home - yet unable to do anything useful with the time.
Our economy has been hit hard by Brexit, Covid, Ukraine war etc, many businesses are already struggling and extra closures just push more businesses closer to bankruptcy. (Clearly not an issue for civil servants, including forces ones, but scary reality for the rest of the working population.)

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I think a much better decision would have been the minutes silence, OK it’s a Bank Holiday, but only for some, many services will still be operating, and shops/hospitality etc. will also be working particularly in tourist areas.
A bank holiday opening may well have ensured an even higher footfall at the show than usual.

steveeasy

Visit site
I suspect they thought it was just the right thing to do. From outside the cube of yachting with strong links to the Monarchy. Could business really carry on as normal. I suspect some did not want too.

Steveeasy

skua164

Visit site
For those that think the attendance at Southampton would have been higher than normal, do you really think so ?

I'm biased as I support the decision to close on Monday see Post # 8 but I consider it's the right thing to do.

I believe that the People travelling to London in person ( good luck to them) and the Television Audience worldwide and who will see some or part of the Funeral will set record numbers. It's a moment in History,

Concerto

Visit site
As I asked the question, my thoughts have changed over the past fews days. People with yachts are percieived in the media was wealthy and privileged. Imagine the coverage if the show had been open during the funeral. It would suggest people with boats are arrogant and disrespectful. On reflection I feel the organisers have made the right decision.

I feel sorry for the few who have booked to travel long distances and possibly with accomodation as well. I hope the businesses involved will treat their customers in a fair manner.

ICTM

Visit site
If they had read this thread they would have seen that only a tiny minority thought the show should close, but instead should do something during the show to express condolences

Even Screwfix are doing the decent thing…………..they have taken the right decision and will close. It is called respect. Respect for a Monarch who did immense good for this nation. Allow others the opportunity to show their respect as they see fit rather than standing around to allow a few to wander around a boat show. It will still be there the following day, the opportunity to show our respects on the day of the funeral will not.

Attachments

• A2AF7898-7701-4FB1-A03E-491299D81A9C.jpeg
    A2AF7898-7701-4FB1-A03E-491299D81A9C.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 5