Propspeed yes or no ???

Bouba

Visit site
This is something I normally wouldn’t bother with...but last night someone on tv was putting it on a superyacht.....I know that that is no comparison to my humble boat....and I might as well worry about what they use on an aircraft carrier...but it got me to thinking....and today the prop is all prepped.
So yes or no....or another brand ?.....and fellas, fingers out...I need an answer by tomorrow morning
Just some background....large single slow moving five bladed....some sort of bronze alloy....usually I go everywhere at six knots...but certainly will try to take her to 20 on the first day just to see how much top end I’ve lost over time.
Thanks guys

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Apparently it can only be applied by a professional in Europe. My guess is that it is all down to preparation and application and from the little I know and observed about it it works and is well thought of.

Bouba

Visit site
Apparently it can only be applied by a professional in Europe. My guess is that it is all down to preparation and application and from the little I know and observed about it it works and is well thought of.
So not available off the shelf ?

Bouba

Visit site
Excellent stuff but expensive and needs to be applied correctly. If not, it'll literally last no time.

We used to use it on a variety of boats and it does work well.
Is there any problem removing the old Propspeef before you reapply a new coat ?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Is there any problem removing the old Propspeef before you reapply a new coat ?
From the Propped web site:

If your underwater metals are already coated with Propspeed, or if you have other coatings applied, you will need to remove all other coatings before starting the new application. The easiest, fastest and recommended way to do this is with Stripspeed, a solvent-based paint stripper that has been specifically developed to remove foul-release coatings in less than 30 minutes. The thick consistency hangs on vertical and overhead surfaces and is easy to use. Just crack the bottle open to let some air in, shake well for 90 seconds until the consistency is thick and start using. Read the detailed application instructions on how to use Stripspeed here.

Bouba

Visit site
Having used most products over the years, I have just a few days ago had Propspeed applied, not expecting it to last, we shall see!

We get heavy fouling in Sant Carles, 6m since last lift and pressure wash! before and after:

View attachment 177266View attachment 177267
I’m more worried that my before and after will look more like your after and before 😱

Parabordi

Visit site
This is something I normally wouldn’t bother with...but last night someone on tv was putting it on a superyacht.....I know that that is no comparison to my humble boat....and I might as well worry about what they use on an aircraft carrier...but it got me to thinking....and today the prop is all prepped.
So yes or no....or another brand ?.....and fellas, fingers out...I need an answer by tomorrow morning
Just some background....large single slow moving five bladed....some sort of bronze alloy....usually I go everywhere at six knots...but certainly will try to take her to 20 on the first day just to see how much top end I’ve lost over time.
Thanks guys
After 3 years still working well for me.

Parabordi

Visit site
I have used it for years with very good results and plan to continue. I just had it put on my new boat. When people say it doesn't last, that's usually because it wasn't applied properly - it is sensitive and needs to be applied correctly.
Precisely.

jmnapier

Visit site
Good stuff. Had it on 2 years now and I probably need to re-do now as my props turn at 1885rpm max. If you have a low speed prop it will last longer. Follow the instructions to the letter. Watch the videos on YouTube several times so you know the method exactly. You have no time to learn as you go along.

Greg2

Visit site
I looked into it this year and found that reports pretty much aligned with what is being said here. Apply it absolutely correctly and it can do a good job - don’t do it correctly and it is not very good. What swung me was that there were reports of meticulous application according to the instructions and it still failed. Obviously no idea if it was actually applied properly but as I would be DIY I thought the risk of not getting it quite meant it was better to take another route.

Interestingly the consensus on the hull version was that it is good and worth doing.

Bouba

Visit site
I looked into it this year and found that reports pretty much aligned with what is being said here. Apply it absolutely correctly and it can do a good job - don’t do it correctly and it is not very good. What swung me was that there were reports of meticulous application according to the instructions and it still failed. Obviously no idea if it was actually applied properly but as I would be DIY I thought the risk of not getting it quite meant it was better to take another route.

Interestingly the consensus on the hull version was that it is good and worth doing.
I have to see what the cost to buy is....and if the application isn’t too onerous for me....it’s not a job I feel like trusting to others