Profurl- bottom bearing has come apart

Kelpie

Visit site
During a recent weekend away on the boat I spotted that the lower bearing on the profurl appears to have failed. When the foresail halyard is tensioned, a gap of over an inch opens up as the entire foil/sail/bearing lifts out of the drum. When the halyard is released, everything slides back into the normal place.
I think this has been caused by the furling line jumping off the drum and winding itself around underneath, forcing the bearing to burst open due to the axial load.
Obviously in future I will pay closer attention to sudden increases in load on the furling line, but for now, what should I do about fixing the problem?
I am fortunate to have a removable inner forestay and in fact on this recent trip sailed mostly using the staysail, so the furling sail remained stowed. I think I can drop the main forestay if necessary, using the inner forestay and perhaps a halyard to hold up the rig while I fix the problem.

rogertwinn

Visit site
Just had the same problem - whole thing came apart, bearings dropping out everywhere! Only had to remove lower Allen-keyed bolts/screws on Profurl unit in order to be able to slide the complete swivel unit off the forestay. For the second time in its life, I took it to a local engineering company (Ivan at Lake Engineering in Poole Dorset 01202 621631 ) who have managed to obtain suitable bearings, oil seal, circlips, etc in order to re-assemble it - total cost £133. Last repair was done in 2008, so I guess it has done quite well, in view of its hard work on a large Westerly Discus genoa.