Princess 32 - Failed Survey

iwalm1979

Visit site
Whether boats are carrying a premium in the current market or not I don't know - We've been to a few marinas and looked at quite a few boats but boats are a very different beast to say a car. If a car is worth 10k then you see prices ranging from maybe 8k to 12k, but usually all there or thereabouts. With boats, you can see +/- 100% difference on something which on the face of things looks the same - Although having looked at photos online and then visited various places, a bit like buying a house - There is a certain amount of artistic license [amazing what a good angle on a bright day can do!]. We've certainly seen a few where its been very hard to see where the money is, despite over enthusiastic brokers!

I've tried to read between the lines a bit i.e. new BSS, recent servicing, new tanks and those sort of bits [where value can add up if you don't need to do it 'tomorrow'] but it certainly isn't easy. Link below shows the sort of spread there is on this specific model.

Princess 32 boats for sale UK, used Princess boats, new Princess boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

Momac

Visit site
For the first year at least in the Lincoln to Nottingham sort of territory - Probably looking at keeping the boat in Newark, with a view to going up/down the Trent both ways.
I just noticed this
Is the P32 in question for sale at a marina not far from Newark and does it have petrol engines?

Momac

Visit site
The subject boat, if it is the one I think it is , looks well presented in the photographs. I have no personal knowledge of it.

Diagnosis of soggy transom makes this not an isolated recent case at this location so that leads me to think either a disease is spreading among boats or diagnosis of soggy transoms is far too common to be believable. Sounds like it was a false diagnosis in this case.

Petrol is sold at the subject marina but be aware marina petrol is priced a good bit more than a supermarket petrol station. Also petrol tends to be consumed at a greater rate than the equivalent diesel engine.
There are very few other opportunities to refuel at the waterside with petrol. Not so much of an issue at river speeds . But on a more extended journey the last thing I would want to be doing is lugging petrol in jerry cans .
The absence of petrol availability at the waterside make a salty water trip somewhat challenging and potentially not viable.

iwalm1979

Visit site
At least initially we are only looking to get into boating, long weekends (3 days or so) and maybe the odd longer break, but its more about finding something we can do as a family - Don't think Petrol is going to be too limiting [at least in the beginning]. If we head down the Fossdyke I believe we can get Petrol at Burton Waters right?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
At least initially we are only looking to get into boating, long weekends (3 days or so) and maybe the odd longer break, but its more about finding something we can do as a family - Don't think Petrol is going to be too limiting [at least in the beginning]. If we head down the Fossdyke I believe we can get Petrol at Burton Waters right?
Petrol is limiting and will make the boat harder to sell. The one you are looking at should be much cheaper than it's diesel counterparts. Plenty of diesel boats around.

A Princess 32 is fine for chugging up and down the river, not a very good boat at sea, especially if the weather catches you out. It will roll like a log in a beam sea. My first boat was a P32.

Momac

Visit site
Petrol does seem popular and not such a big deal in terms of cost for river use and with no ambition to travel far.
But I did exclude petrol as a fuel due to lack of availability before buying my first boat back in 2008.
We becane friends with folks who had a petrol boat and the quest for fuel was a big part of any holiday shared with them. They did eventually change to a diesel engined boat.

iwalm1979

Visit site
Just to say thanks to everyone for your help and advice - All much appreciated. River trial tomorrow and then we are all done (he says!)

iwalm1979

Visit site
We'll be based out of Farndon for the next year at least - We are taking on the existing mooring, so if anyone is on that marina we'll maybe see you

Seastoke

Visit site
Every time you go always take petrol with you ,even if you go knowhere.

Alicatt

Visit site
Every time you go always take petrol with you ,even if you go knowhere.
Normally I had 4 20litre jerry cans and the 25litre petrol tank for my 75hp outboard, when off on a trip that gave me about 3 hours of motoring depending on how the boat was loaded up with divers
Compare that with the current boat the 120litre tank gives over 100hours of put-putting at about 7km/h and still with a reserve, something that seldom happened with the dory and 75hp 2-stroke outboard ;)

Corona Mia

Visit site
Hi Guys.
The OP (a new members of this Forum) came on to ask for your valued opinions on a potentially ‘soggy transom’.
And subsequently the consequences of buying a petrol engined boat.
It seems like the ‘transom’ issue may not be so serious.
He explained what his cruising plans were, which didn’t include any major long distance passages.
We all know, that petrol consumption at river/canal speeds is nothing to worry about.
So why are you being so mean?

Momac

Visit site
Hopefully better weather tomorrow for the trial. You should allowed (unofficially) to test the boat at faster than the speed restriction of 6mph upstream and 8mph downstream on the stretch near the power station. There will be no anglers to upset as its the closed season.

Greg2

Visit site
Hi Guys.
The OP (a new members of this Forum) came on to ask for your valued opinions on a potentially ‘soggy transom’.
And subsequently the consequences of buying a petrol engined boat.
It seems like the ‘transom’ issue may not be so serious.
He explained what his cruising plans were, which didn’t include any major long distance passages.
We all know, that petrol consumption at river/canal speeds is nothing to worry about.

Not sure I can see any mean comments but perhaps that is just my perception.

There are downsides to petrol boats, re-sale and fuel availability being foremost (even on inland waters). There is then the issue of inboard tanks, which the P32 will have, and associated safety concerns and of course the price being asked, which some think is a little high. If I were the OP I would want to know theses things so at the very least it is eyes wide open if he chooses to proceed.

Bouba

Visit site
Just out of curiosity...has any money changed hands (like a deposit) ?.....or did the owner pay for the coring out of his own pocket ?

oldgit

Visit site
Multiply many long years of boating x the numbers of posters trying to prevent somebody else making exactly the same mistakes = this thread
Not being mean with posters to warn of the bear traps lying in wait for the unwary.
Some of us are still bare scars from previous boats. :)

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Multiply many long years of boating x the numbers of posters trying to prevent somebody else making exactly the same mistakes = this thread
Not being mean with posters to warn of the bear traps lying in wait for the unwary.
Some of us are still bare scars from previous boats. :)
Agreed but we also don’t want to fall into the bear trap of becoming .......