Princess 32 - Failed Survey

iwalm1979

Visit site
Hi all,

We are new to boating, complete novices, and after looking at several boats we found a very tidy Princess 32 which seemed ideal for what we had in mind. The survey has come back with generally positive comments across the board about the condition, however, it has been given a 'serious' point of action on a suspected wet transom. This is being cored by the marina tomorrow I believe to see whether it is genuinely wet or not. Survey shows stringers and other structural elements in good condition.

The advice I'm looking for here is how would people proceed? If the boat is generally sound and this is the sole problem would people advise negotiating with the vendor to have this repaired or is it a walk-away job?

Does anyone have any experience of how significant a job this would be (it's on twin engines) and rough ideas of what a marina (UK, North England) would charge to strip out the old transom, replace and make good? We are not able to do the work ourselves but we've seen the videos on youtube, and it looks to more of a time/labour job rather than being expensive in terms of parts etc.

Thanks in advance!

Greg2

Visit site
Our first boat was a Princess 32 but I can’t recall whether the transom had a core or whether is was solid GRP. If it has a core and it is wet then I would think that it is fairly major structural work that needs to be done properly.

The way forward would be to get a quote from a good boatyard and then use this to negotiate a commensurate reduction in price but only if you really like and want the boat. I say this because even at a reduced price you take on the responsibility and potential grief and there will be other options out there but ultimately that will be your call.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Hi all,

We are new to boating, complete novices, and after looking at several boats we found a very tidy Princess 32 which seemed ideal for what we had in mind. The survey has come back with generally positive comments across the board about the condition, however, it has been given a 'serious' point of action on a suspected wet transom. This is being cored by the marina tomorrow I believe to see whether it is genuinely wet or not. Survey shows stringers and other structural elements in good condition.

The advice I'm looking for here is how would people proceed? If the boat is generally sound and this is the sole problem would people advise negotiating with the vendor to have this repaired or is it a walk-away job?

Does anyone have any experience of how significant a job this would be (it's on twin engines) and rough ideas of what a marina (UK, North England) would charge to strip out the old transom, replace and make good?

This seems to be a fashionable fault locally to me.
I suggest getting a second opinion.

Tranona

Visit site
Be guided by your surveyor when he gets the results of further investigation. It is normal to negotiate on the price or repairs with the vendor if significant repairs are required. Difficult to even guess what it might cost without knowing exactly what is required, but would imagine a complete rebuild of the transom would not be cheap given the need to remove the drives first.

harvey38

Visit site
Unless you really really really want the boat, I'd walk away.

Assuming the worst and the transom does need serious work, it's trying to find a fabricator and an engineer to do the job in an acceptable time frame. Take the hit on the surveyors fee and find another one.

I know Paul at Coastal Rides has one for sale, probably needs work but it would be a sensible price.

Elessar

Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of how significant a job this would be (it's on twin engines) and rough ideas of what a marina (UK, North England) would charge to strip out the old transom, replace and make good? We are not able to do the work ourselves but we've seen the videos on youtube, and it looks to more of a time/labour job rather than being expensive in terms of parts etc.

Thanks in advance!
I had to replace the transom on my first boat. It was sopping wet and spongy.

I did it DIY but it’s not a beginners job.
Get a quote for it. Ultimately GRP is infinitely repairable.

(Engines out, out drives off, cut inner skin of transom out, cut out all wood, epoxy marine ply into place, re laminate the inside, re install out drives and engines)

As you don’t touch the outer skin of the GRP you can’t see it’s been done.

And while the engines are out you can paint them, clean and detail the engine room and upgrade the sound proofing. Which feels like an upgrade.

So it’s all about the price.

vas

Visit site
echo what others above state.
imho, it's NOT the way you want to get into boating, v.likely you'll be out, dented, poorer having not enjoyed a thing!

btw, easy to have a soggy transom if an aftermarket custom bathing platform has been added to the boat. Friend with an 80s larger Princess found out, as crossmembers supporting the platform below waterline, leaked into the core and made a mess. Seasoned boater, boat spent 2m on the hard, job done, but he knew the right ppl to tackle various bits and he did some himself.

Bouba

Visit site
Different people want different things, me, I want a turnkey boat where I can spend my introduction to boating learning how to go places....other people enjoy a project. This boat is a project, either to do yourself or project manage others.

stelican

Visit site
like all my posts it starts "Along time ago"
2008 We had similar work carried out on a 6 yr old boat by a reputable company on South Coast.
as the boat was not very old the engines/drives etc came out without breakages or problems.
whole process took 8 weeks as 2 companies involved ( engineers and boatbuilders)
cost then £7,000 that was 15yrs ago.

billskip

Visit site
..other people enjoy a project. This boat is a project,
No, it's a Princess 32..the project 31 was the same hull different top.

However as said above all good advice, it's a risk and its likely the seller will sell at a lower price, but it will still cost above market value including repair costs. There will be other boats about that will wish you had considered. Take your time.

PCUK

Visit site
No, it's a Princess 32..the project 31 was the same hull different top.

However as said above all good advice, it's a risk and its likely the seller will sell at a lower price, but it will still cost above market value including repair costs. There will be other boats about that will wish you had considered. Take your time.
I believe Bouba meant it's a project, Not a Project 31. I'm a great believer in projects, all my boats have been projects. But I could do all the work myself and save money along the way. If you can't do it yourself as the OP admits then it will be a money pit.

Sianna

Visit site
Boating is a fabulous experience albeit expensive, for a first boat I'd get one you can enjoy for a year or two without the unexpected bills (don't worry they will come along soon enough) and just get used to boating.

Firstly make sure the issue is actually there, that may be getting second opinions, but starting with big expense and problems isn't the novice experience that I would recomend. What you really want is to have fun on the water, thats what it's all about.

Once you love it, and future problems, inevitably, come along, they don't seen such an issue 😂 . I'd buy a boat you can use this season not one thats going to need major surgery.(y)

Freebee

Visit site
Not perhaps what you want to hear but the work will probably far exceed the number that a boatyard gives you .....because there are soo many unknowns, when the yard starts to remove things on a boat of this age they will almost certainly find other things that need doing , its not only a transom, if it has outdrives they will need servicing new rubbers etc. and all those nice to do jobs whilst engines are out. the costs will be far higher than you thought and that's also your boat season half over.........not worth it walk away!!

oldgit

Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Keeping looking..

If you like this style and type of boat there must be other examples out there for sale.
The boat could be up to 50 years old along with everything on it .
Replacing that transom is serious and big job...Thousands .....if you can find somebody to do it, must be approaching the total value of the boat.
If the stern has rotted out bet they will find other problems...its a boat.
You could spend a fortune and then committed to throwing money to repair 50 year old everything else .
You will never get your money back.
Can only imagine somebody attempting to remove those 50 year old bolts to release that 50 year old transom assembly from the stern without a grinder.
The condition of the exhaust horns would interesting as well.
Can you get spares for the diesel engines ?

Sorry but being honest its sounds like that boat has come to end of its useful life.
Do not buy somebody elses money pit.
Had this problem years ago on an awful 23 ft Regal Sports boat, with twin petrol outdrives, whatever the original material between the inner and outer glassfibre at the stern it had turned to mush.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
The other thing to remember is that we are approaching the boating season, for boat professionals this is their busiest time...you might not be able to even start the work for a few months
Anyhow....you said tomorrow that the boat yard is going to take a biopsy of the transom.....but remember even a clean bill of health isn’t a guarantee on a boat this old. Good luck👍👍👍

Momac

Visit site
Can you get spares for the diesel engines
Possibly petrol engines. But a good point about spares.
I would suggest further investigation is required when the boat is out and possibly other opinions. Sounds like investigation is proposed.

It does seem likely that cost to rebuild the transom would exceed the value of the boat.

iwalm1979

Visit site
Hi all - Thanks for the replies and I get there are two sides to this. We liked the boat and it is in very very good cosmetic condition [both in and out] and the survey really only highlights this transom problem as a potential issue. That said, ballpark estimates for repair in the boatyard are 6k [if we assume the worst, don't have the core results yet] and with a boat value of around 15k that's a high proportion of cost. If the vendor is prepared to move to cover it then on one hand it might end up making a very nice boat, but its clearly a big chunk of money and time wise I'm guessing it could take 3 months to get done.

If we had to rethink has anyone got any pointers of where to start? We saw a couple of Princess 33's and 32's and really liked this one, but if it ends up 'not to be' then we are looking for something in that 15 to 20k range that will suit a family of four (2 adults and a couple of young boys).

Appreciate all the help so far!

Greg2

Visit site
Given what you have looked at previously perhaps something like this

Worth being aware that old a outdrives may well be a lot of grief in terms of maintenance. Shafts would be preferable but you may not be able to find the right boat with them.