Priddy's Hard or Hardway Mooring - any views?

DennisF

Visit site
You could also consider joining Fareham SC or Portchester SC. Both are v friendly and have moorings available. We are new members of Portchester and they are a fantastic bunch. A bit further up the harbour but if you are looking for a club to join then these guys are well worth a look. Portchester SC are v active at recruiting and have a series of new members evenings.

Hardway SC also have a great rep but I'm not sure if they have much space for new members?

Thanks for that. Hardway SC were indeed full when I went to visit. I can get a mooring there through RNSA, but without a club it would be difficult without facilities. How long does it take to get from the Portchester moorings to the Solent, and what is access to the moorings like?

ripvan1

Visit site
Hardway very welcoming to guests. We spent this weekend on their pontoon for a small fee and had full use of facilities and enjoyed 2 lovely homecooked meals. It is also possible to hire their concrete pads and pressure washer or even remove your mast. Top marks to HSC.

oakleyb

Visit site
Our boat is on a swinging RNSA mooring a small dinghy ride from Hardway. Decided to join Hardway a couple of years ago and the combination is perfect.

DennisF

Visit site
Our boat is on a swinging RNSA mooring a small dinghy ride from Hardway. Decided to join Hardway a couple of years ago and the combination is perfect.

Yes, that is what I am considering. Apparently a 2 year wait to join the club on average, so I will probably stick my name down. The other possibility is staying where I am in Milford Haven, but a 4 hour trip each way is rather tedious, although the sailing is great ��

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Wicor Marine would be easier to get to be road and more sheltered. Further to the harbour entrance though.

I've been based at Wicormarine for 15 years now. No problems with dinghy or car parking (and only 10 minutes from home for me). Quiet spot to spend a night on the mooring too. It takes us about 40 minutes to or from the harbour entrance - we use the time to get the boat ready or to pack things away. Sometimes it can be a very pleasant sail up or down the harbour. It certainly beats queuing in the car on the Gosport Road.

DennisF

Visit site
Try looking at the Wicor Marine website and location. They have both swinging and pontoon moorings available now.

£1814 - £2268 for a swinging mooring? I'm not surprised they have moorings available! Unless their website is broken and giving false figures :)

James_Calvert

Visit site
That does seem to be the commercial rate. Club moorings, which don't have to provide much of a return above the costs of provision are around the £1000 mark.

Likewise for public authority moorings.

Cost of capitalism?

rwoofer

Visit site
When I looked into it I also thought Wicor Marine moorings were very expensive. I pay £380 for a commercial mooring very close to Hardway, drying mooring though. Can't see why all tide mooring should be any more expensive.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
When I looked into it I also thought Wicor Marine moorings were very expensive. I pay £380 for a commercial mooring very close to Hardway, drying mooring though. Can't see why all tide mooring should be any more expensive.

Well I suppose by definition I must be happy with Wicor. I see it as a lot more convenient than the Gosport Boatyard moorings as the boat is a short dinghy trip from the jetty and car and dinghy parking is included. Relatively sheltered moorings, no need for a ferry - or even and outboard. And less than half the price of a marina.

DennisF

Visit site
Well I suppose by definition I must be happy with Wicor. I see it as a lot more convenient than the Gosport Boatyard moorings as the boat is a short dinghy trip from the jetty and car and dinghy parking is included. Relatively sheltered moorings, no need for a ferry - or even and outboard. And less than half the price of a marina.

Depends on location of course. Where I am currently based at Milford Haven I have a marina berth with 10 weeks of shore storage included for £2115 a year. If I do move to Portsmouth I can get a RNSA mooring around Hardway for about £900 a year, with a shore package around £650 per year including the lifts and public storage of dinghys at Hardway. With free public car park a couple of hundred metres away. That is why Wicor looks expensive to me, although I do appreciate the Solent is always going to be more expensive than West Wales. I guess the obvious question is why you decided Wicor is worth the extra cash?