Priddy's Hard or Hardway Mooring - any views?

DennisF

Visit site
hi all,

I have been looking to relocate my boat to the South coast for a while, and have been offered a swinging mooring in either Hardway or Priddy's Hard in Gosport. I'm going to have a look on Friday, but does anyone have any experience of these areas?

In particular, how long to reach the Solent, what is access like, is there any weekend parking around the area and any problems with crime?

dk

Visit site
Good moorings. Fairly close to the open sea (well Solent anyway). Rubbish road down from motorway and very little parking.

DennisF

Visit site
Ah, lack of parking could well be the deal breaker. I could park at Fort Blockhouse but would then be restricted to the water taxi to get access to the mooring. Not ideal.......

southseaian

Visit site
I had a swinging mooring down from Hardway belonging to Gosport Boat Yard who ran a 364 days a year ferry service from Sultan Jetty (at Hardway). Access to the Solent is good. Access by road is a bit slow. Took me up an hour to reach jetty from home in Southsea, Portsmouth. Never had any problem parking.
If you intend to come down and sleep on your boat be prepared for a fair amount of movement due to passing ferry and boats. Also if windy from certain directions.
Did not bother me as we never slept on the boat. However say the boat was lying to the tide broadside to wash you could fall over if caught unawares. Was a small boat, Contessa 26.
Fairly cheap and very boaty feel to adventures afloat but inconvenient. Ferry man bad humoured much of time, slow too as he tended to wait for a full load so we ended up calling a maybe six boats before ours.

Visit site
I had a swinging mooring down from Hardway belonging to Gosport Boat Yard who ran a 364 days a year ferry service from Sultan Jetty (at Hardway). Access to the Solent is good. Access by road is a bit slow. Took me up an hour to reach jetty from home in Southsea, Portsmouth. Never had any problem parking.
If you intend to come down and sleep on your boat be prepared for a fair amount of movement due to passing ferry and boats. Also if windy from certain directions.
Did not bother me as we never slept on the boat. However say the boat was lying to the tide broadside to wash you could fall over if caught unawares. Was a small boat, Contessa 26.
Fairly cheap and very boaty feel to adventures afloat but inconvenient. Ferry man bad humoured much of time, slow too as he tended to wait for a full load so we ended up calling a maybe six boats before ours.

Wow, things have certainly changed since then! Great ferry service with cheery ferry people who don't wait for a full load. 100% recommend Gosport Boatyard from a current patron.

rwoofer

Visit site
big secure car park 200 yards from Hardway pontoon...........

As a Hardway member I would love to know where that is! I only know of the very public long term car park, that I would not describe as secure by virtue of having no security.

Having said that I've never had a problem there either.

Visit site
big secure car park 200 yards from Hardway pontoon...........

Cheap short stay council car park adjacent to Sultan's Jetty, and a free 7 day car park 5 minutes walk away. I've been moored off Hardway on Gosport Boatyard moorings for 5 years and can't recommend them highly enough. The ferrymen are unflinchingly cheerful and helpful above and beyond the call of duty.

DennisF

Visit site
Cheap short stay council car park adjacent to Sultan's Jetty, and a free 7 day car park 5 minutes walk away. I've been moored off Hardway on Gosport Boatyard moorings for 5 years and can't recommend them highly enough. The ferrymen are unflinchingly cheerful and helpful above and beyond the call of duty.

That sounds good. Do you have road names for them? I plan to have a look at them on Friday.

niccapotamus

Visit site
You could also consider joining Fareham SC or Portchester SC. Both are v friendly and have moorings available. We are new members of Portchester and they are a fantastic bunch. A bit further up the harbour but if you are looking for a club to join then these guys are well worth a look. Portchester SC are v active at recruiting and have a series of new members evenings.

Hardway SC also have a great rep but I'm not sure if they have much space for new members?

rwoofer

Visit site
Hardway has a fixed limit on the total number of members and relies on members leaving in order for new ones to join. I applied just before one intake, didn't get in, but did the following year.

Habebty

Visit site
Here is "a nice view " of the Hardway moorings :)
Or more particularly the house I grew up in. Then of course it was next to the main gate of Priddys Hard Armenent Depot (1964-1976)
I lived in the middle of the three cottages, which were called Shell Pier Cottages when I visited a couple of years ago on my boat.
View attachment 52240