Power washers

Visit site
Our electric power washer is coming to the end of its useful life. What spec should I get to replace it given that it will be used to clean the boat as well as the car. Are there any advantages other than mobility in a petrol driven washer - Aldi appear to have a decent one at a reasonable price at the moment but it looks a bit big and heavy.

Thanks for any advice

jakeroyd

Visit site
Just as a guide , where my bpat spends the winter has no power but does have water.
I drive my power washer with a 1kva generator (a cheapie)
I use a Karcher K2 with a high pressure lance.

It is only just powerful enough to clean the hull after 6 months in the water and the jet has to be held close to the surface , so the band width you clean with each pass is not very wide.

sarabande

Visit site
I make a point of never buying a new one, as the depreciation is so rapid.

Head towards your nearest big pressure washer supplier, and see if he has any secondhand ones in stock. You will be able to afford a bigger and more powerful one than buying new, and if he is an honest dealer he will want to look after a discerning customer.

If poss choose one with a Honda engine, for independence of mains power, and get the dealer to sort out a decent big filter to enable you to put the pickup hose into a handy burn. Once the washer is on a set of wheels in a cradle it becomes as easy to use as a wheelbarrow.

My present washer has now over 10 years old, and has had one set of output side seals: from South West Pressure Washers, Devon, so not much use to you :)

Visit site
I was really asking what strength is desirable in terms of PSI. I am aware that the pressure hose which they used at Port Bannatyne on a friends boat had him worrying about the hull it was so strong (according to him).

richardbrennan

Visit site
I also have a K2, and while I would not try and use it to clean fouling off the hull, it is ideal for cleaning the decks and the small area covered by the spray width, compared to bigger more powerful models. You can easily manoeuvre around teak toe rails etc, you can do real damage with the larger machines, I think the smallest you need for the intended job is the way to go.

ip485

Visit site
I know you are worrying about the pressure but I would chip in with a heart felt plea not to buy a Karcher (or another Karcher). I have gone through a few, but they have never lasted long. The days have long gone of a metal pump housing, and I was told, that they are lifed for 50 hours or less (I reckon less!). They may well be ok at the price but I finally purchased a Kranzle. It is a totally different beast and I suspect will last for ever, as well as having a lance on even the basic model that significantly out performs a much high powered Karcher. I comment purely as a very happy customer and if you can well worth the extra cost for something that will last forever.

Scomber

Visit site
I make a point of never buying a new one, as the depreciation is so rapid.

Head towards your nearest big pressure washer supplier, and see if he has any secondhand ones in stock. You will be able to afford a bigger and more powerful one than buying new, and if he is an honest dealer he will want to look after a discerning customer.

If poss choose one with a Honda engine, for independence of mains power, and get the dealer to sort out a decent big filter to enable you to put the pickup hose into a handy burn. Once the washer is on a set of wheels in a cradle it becomes as easy to use as a wheelbarrow.

My present washer has now over 10 years old, and has had one set of output side seals: from South West Pressure Washers, Devon, so not much use to you :)

Now that's all good advice- go for a reputable make / dealer advice
I've used steam cleaners etc but have had a smaller more portable stihl power washer and does most jobs fairly well but won't clean the car as well as an industrial steam cleaner used to do-

afterpegassus

Visit site
I was really asking what strength is desirable in terms of PSI. I am aware that the pressure hose which they used at Port Bannatyne on a friends boat had him worrying about the hull it was so strong (according to him).

It's lt/min rather than psi you should consider because volume will shift more than pressure (in general terms). Psi decreases rapidly as soon as the tip moves from the surface. Get a self priming one because you have more independence.
I have a petrol Sealey giving 12.5 lt/min and gives me all I need for the boat and house.

Thallac

Visit site
Hi I have a K4 as it can suck water in from the Thames, as where I am moored I have no access to running water. I have a Machine Mart generator which powers it okay

lw395

Visit site
I hate them all!!
I think they are noisy and vastly over-rated.
Never seen the need to use one on a car.
They seem to be a good way of getting a rubbish texture on soft antifoul.
I'm not sure they are always any quicker than a brush/scraper/wet'n'dry approach.

They are good for some patio stone, particularly if you don't want to use chemicals.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm not sure they are always any quicker than a brush/scraper/wet'n'dry approach.

A pressure washer is fantastic for cleaning out moulded-in basket weave nonslip. On flat surfaces I agree - a sponge is generally faster and works better.

The infamous Port Bannatyne diesel pressure washer, mentioned up thread, does a sterling job of removing the remains of my antifouling and a layer or so of previous accrual each year.

ashtead

Visit site
I would look at weight but it all depends on usage . Have a light Karcher which is good if a rotating head brush is used for white plastic decks. I haven't tried on artificial teak decks though and clearly for real teak I stick to chemicals but these sometimes adversely impact the filler on Bavaria cockpits so be warned if using the teak cleaners that it does lead to sticky sikoflex in the joins and removing the sticky mess is not simple unless you have plenty of units of time to fill

MikeH79

Visit site
I have hydraulic on-board washer. I got it installed on hydraulics and it is really small, like a shoe box. The maximum water pressure was something like 200 bars, but I'm not using it on full power. They said it would consume 30 litres/minute, but I think in my use it is something like 20 litres/minute. It is a Dynaset pump, I don't remember the model exactly but it is their smallest pump.