post-cancer boat buying crisis

L_555

Visit site
Hello all- like many, I have been a lurker here for several months now. Last year I had a breast cancer diagnosis and 2 months ago finished the whole surgery/chemo/radiotherapy.
I think it is fair to say that rather than a mid-life (okay, that too!) crisis, I am having a post-cancer one. That is involving wanting to buy a sailing boat this year, learning to sail it, and equip it over the next twelve to eighteen months with the intention of then taking a year off with my then 8/9 year old son and dog to explore the seas of Europe.
I live in France and have seen some centurion 32's for around the 7-8k mark, but, as and when lockdown finishes, I am also more than happy to travel back to the UK or even Ireland to buy a boat...and learn to sail it.
I know it sounds ridiculous. Good friends of mine who are ex pro sailors are telling me to go for it, everyone else thinks I am bonkers. It really arises from a need to do something now- previously I have campervanned all over Europe with my son, wild camping on the beaches of France and the Italian lakes. Unfortunately, my son doesn't remember much of it and my concern is that if cancer was to come and try to take me on again in 2/3 years time, his over-riding memories of his childhood will have been 'sick-mother'. No doubt many of you think I am bonkers too, but for those that don't, any advice or indeed links to boats you think might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, you are a brave lady and definitely you are not bonkers. Go for it, people regret for not doing things rather than for the things they have done, so yes, go for it. There are many ways to learn to sail, I suggest that you join/visit your local sailing club, there will be plenty of people willing to teach you the basics and also attend a sailing course to learn basic navigation. Don't rush to buy a yacht, look around. This Forum is excellent for advice, so keep posting here, you will have a lot of replies, advice and opinions. Go sailing and stay safe.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I don't think you're bonkers and your story certainly resonates with me.

However . . . you really need to prioritise what are the most important steps in making your dream a reality. Leaving on a big trip in 12 - 18 months time is an incredibly tight schedule if you are starting from ground zero in terms of experience and knowledge. The alarm bell for me is thinking a bout an old boat in the 7-8k bracket. Those sorts of boats are only useful to people who want to spend the next 3-4 years working with their kid in a boatyard going nowhere.

I think you need to think of a 'plan' that will give you and your son the experience you want, but by thinking about options in the broadest way possible. For a start, a 12 month cruise is difficult to achieve in Europe as 'winter' gets in the way. Just off the top of my head - I would think about a trailer sailer (Dehler 25) and tow it to Greece and sail for 8 months from island to island.

The campervan parallel is that for your budget you will be better off in a small, newer, simple van conversion instead of spending the same money on a 50 year old large coach built motorhome with terminal rot and completely knackered systems.

bedouin

Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Don't let anyone say you are bonkers - it sounds like a great idea and perfectly doable.

The Centurion is a great boat - a number of posters on this forum (myself included) sail them and you will find a few threads where they are discussed. It would be a very good choice for what you want - good sea boats and easy to single hand - but there are a lot of other good boats out there too. Westerly Centaur springs to mind and many others.

If you want to stick to your timetable then you will need to make sure the boat you buy is pretty much ready to go and doesn't need a lot of work doing to it otherwise you are likely to see 12-18 months slipping to 3-4 years unless you have the money to pay someone to do it for you in which case you might as well have spent in on a better boat in the first place.

Stemar

Visit site
I beg to differ. Of course you're bonkers, but that doesn't matter. In the words of the advertising slogan, just do it!

However, a yacht is a different beast from a campervan. I'd think some training before even looking at boats. If I were starting from scratch, I'd do a dinghy course - your son might enjoy that, as well, which would get you out on the water, learning sail handling, then Day Skipper or the French equivalent. With that under your belt, you have a rough idea how to get going. You'll also know if you're fit enough. Cancer and its treatment can be pretty debilitating.

If, and God forbid, you find you aren't, an alternative would be to do a motorboat course and explore the European canals.

[165264]

Visit site
I knew of someone else who did it, albeit with a partner. Good for you. Do lots of courses/trips in the coming weeks. I think I am suffering from a Post-Covid crisis, so quite similar really!

laika

Visit site
I think it is fair to say that rather than a mid-life (okay, that too!) crisis, I am having a post-cancer one. That is involving wanting to buy a sailing boat this year, learning to sail it, and equip it over the next twelve to eighteen months with the intention of then taking a year off with my then 8/9 year old son and dog to explore the seas of Europe.

With the exception of the child and dog...this sounds curiously familiar...

I bought my first (and only) boat post-cancer with the idea of prepping it for a circumnavigation. I did already have a fair few sea miles under my belt from sailing on other people's boats and crewing on deliveries and had few commitments (no house, car or children). The plan was to live life to the full as the probability was that the cancer would return. But each year was a delay, I had trouble talking my partner round to the idea, then I ran out of savings and had to get a job. Long story short, I beat the odds and the cancer has stayed away but I never left.

My top tip: Do it. Really do it. Stamp your foot and say "I'm doing it". But *Make sure* that you do it. Have a schedule which already has slippage time built in and if it looks like overrunning, throw money at the problem to get it back on track. Yes you really wanted to try doing that bit of fibreglassing yourself but if you don't have time, pay someone. Yes it's really prudent to know how all the systems work but if you don't have time to learn, learn when it breaks. If you're like I was, right now it's amazing to be alive and have the ability to do the extraordinary but you have two time based enemies: The possibility of cancer returning and the unavoidability that the longer it doesn't, the more you'll slip back into everyday concerns (career, money, getting older etc.) and the less likely you'll be to do it.

I have a close friend with a centurion 32. It's a fabulous boat, fast upwind, points incredibly well and he regularly single-hands it. The offset prop might make med mooring "interesting" and there might be more comfortable/suitable boats out there for a new sailor+son but having a boat and just doing it is what counts. Don't read a bunch of reviews, decide what kind of boat you want and then hunt for it. Go wander round some yards. Talk to some brokers. Take your son. Take a sailor friend. See what's there, what's a bargain that's ready to go but the owner needs to sell quickly. The brokers I've met aren't like dodgy used car salespeople: they've been honest and helpful.

As bedouin said, *don't* fall into the trap of buying something in need of renovation with the rationale that you'll learn as you work. Buy something that's ready to go. There'll be *something* wrong with it, and you can learn to fix things as they break.

If your friends are pro sailors hopefully they can teach you, allowing you to save money and train on your own boat with your son included. Do start learning the theory asap (books/classroom/online course as budget and convenience dictates).

Good luck: "JFDI". Don't lose momentum.

jamie N

Visit site
Bonkers of course, but that's hardly going to make you stand out here! I'm of the belief that 'now', with the virus doing what it's doing, and with the world being static, that it's probably the very best time to buy a boat, as the prices are in the order of "I'll make you an offer, take it or leave it?".
There appear to be SO many boats up for grabs that these came up on Apollo Duck, which might be suitable for you. A boat's only worth what someone will pay.
Given what you've survived, sailing will be a joy that makes you scared, cold & wet as well as the best of the best feeling.
Do it, and do it well; I'd reckon that any son would thank you for it; the dog might reserve an opinion though...

dunedin

Visit site
Not sure where you are in France, but there are some great sailing schools - including the famous Glenans, based on an island in South Brittany which might appeal to your adventuresome spirit. They do yachts and dinghies, and your son might love the dinghy course.
If living in France and planning to sail across Europe, possibly worth buying a boat locally rather than coming back to the U.K. for one. UK’s Brexit mess could complicate the boat VAT stratus and is best avoided, plus there are plenty of boats in France well known to the local boating industry.
Enjoy your adventure

awol

Visit site
Not bonkers but are you sure your son and dog are as keen? Not all dogs take to boats well, some can't even walk on pontoons and a pooch cowering below is no fun. Sailing for children can be isolating, boring misery though others love it to a huge degree. Dinghy sailing isn't the same but may be a worthwhile course of action but beware of becoming an Oppy-parent - you will never have time to go sailing yourself if you do.

doug748

Visit site
Hello all- like many, I have been a lurker here for several months now. Last year I had a breast cancer diagnosis and 2 months ago finished the whole surgery/chemo/radiotherapy.
I live in France and have seen some centurion 32's for around the 7-8k mark, but, as and when lockdown finishes, I am also more than happy to travel back to the UK or even Ireland to buy a boat...and learn to sail it.
I know it sounds ridiculous. Good friends of mine who are ex pro sailors are telling me to go for it, everyone else thinks I am bonkers. It really arises from a need to do something now- previously I have campervanned all over Europe with my son, wild camping on the beaches of France and the Italian lakes. Unfortunately, my son doesn't remember much of it and my concern is that if cancer was to come and try to take me on again in 2/3 years time, his over-riding memories of his childhood will have been 'sick-mother'. No doubt many of you think I am bonkers too, but for those that don't, any advice or indeed links to boats you think might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds a grand plan.

The Centurian is a good boat but 7 -8k sounds a bit too cheap to get a well maintained one. Take care you don't buy a lemon, which could be expensive and take the shine off the whole venture.
Whatever make or style of boat you choose don't underestimate the commitment it takes to run one.

Here's an example of a boat (a notch up in price alas) type you might consider. Modest draught for cheaper mooring and the canals, compact LOA and good amount of internal space:

Sadler 29 Used Boat for Sale 1982 | TheYachtMarket

Good luck with it.

stranded

Visit site
Just thinking out loud, given that in this strange new world everyone seems to expect travel to be well down over the next few years I wonder if there is any possibility that the big (or small for that matter) charter fleets would consider renting out a boat for a season for a price that might not compare unfavourably to the sort of budget the op would be looking at to buy and improve a cheap boat or splash out on a ready to sail one. Might even be some pr in it for them if you have any vlogging skills.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Not sure where you are in France, but there are some great sailing schools - including the famous Glenans, based on an island in South Brittany which might appeal to your adventuresome spirit. They do yachts and dinghies, and your son might love the dinghy course.
If living in France and planning to sail across Europe, possibly worth buying a boat locally rather than coming back to the U.K. for one. UK’s Brexit mess could complicate the boat VAT stratus and is best avoided, plus there are plenty of boats in France well known to the local boating industry.
Enjoy your adventure

Good advice, everything published so far says any UK boat not in EU waters when we exit will lose its VAT status there. Ignore the worriers and get on with your plans, hopefully you will be one of the many thousands of long term survivors - we know quite a few :)

dunedin

Visit site
Just thinking out loud, given that in this strange new world everyone seems to expect travel to be well down over the next few years I wonder if there is any possibility that the big (or small for that matter) charter fleets would consider renting out a boat for a season for a price that might not compare unfavourably to the sort of budget the op would be looking at to buy and improve a cheap boat or splash out on a ready to sail one. Might even be some pr in it for them if you have any vlogging skills.
I suspect that, even if they were to be available, all the charter boats would be far too big to be ideally manageable by one adult, one boy (and a dog). Keep smallish (under 30 feet?) and keep simple might be better, particularly for somebody used to staying in a campervan

[165264]

Visit site
With the exception of the child and dog...this sounds curiously familiar...

I bought my first (and only) boat post-cancer with the idea of prepping it for a circumnavigation. I did already have a fair few sea miles under my belt from sailing on other people's boats and crewing on deliveries and had few commitments (no house, car or children). The plan was to live life to the full as the probability was that the cancer would return. But each year was a delay, I had trouble talking my partner round to the idea, then I ran out of savings and had to get a job. Long story short, I beat the odds and the cancer has stayed away but I never left.

My top tip: Do it. Really do it. Stamp your foot and say "I'm doing it". But *Make sure* that you do it. Have a schedule which already has slippage time built in and if it looks like overrunning, throw money at the problem to get it back on track. Yes you really wanted to try doing that bit of fibreglassing yourself but if you don't have time, pay someone. Yes it's really prudent to know how all the systems work but if you don't have time to learn, learn when it breaks. If you're like I was, right now it's amazing to be alive and have the ability to do the extraordinary but you have two time based enemies: The possibility of cancer returning and the unavoidability that the longer it doesn't, the more you'll slip back into everyday concerns (career, money, getting older etc.) and the less likely you'll be to do it.

I have a close friend with a centurion 32. It's a fabulous boat, fast upwind, points incredibly well and he regularly single-hands it. The offset prop might make med mooring "interesting" and there might be more comfortable/suitable boats out there for a new sailor+son but having a boat and just doing it is what counts. Don't read a bunch of reviews, decide what kind of boat you want and then hunt for it. Go wander round some yards. Talk to some brokers. Take your son. Take a sailor friend. See what's there, what's a bargain that's ready to go but the owner needs to sell quickly. The brokers I've met aren't like dodgy used car salespeople: they've been honest and helpful.

As bedouin said, *don't* fall into the trap of buying something in need of renovation with the rationale that you'll learn as you work. Buy something that's ready to go. There'll be *something* wrong with it, and you can learn to fix things as they break.

If your friends are pro sailors hopefully they can teach you, allowing you to save money and train on your own boat with your son included. Do start learning the theory asap (books/classroom/online course as budget and convenience dictates).

Good luck: "JFDI". Don't lose momentum.
Ah! Fareham. "Gateway to Gosport".