Portugal on the Red list

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
So we have a working engine in the boat and empty bank accounts.

But currently nowhere to sail to, and now nowhere to fly back to even if we could find a flight, as three grand for being banged up in an airport travelodge really isn't an option.

We were looking forward to flying home and seeing friends and family when the UK lockdown eases, but it seems there is very little chance of that happening now.

Catherine has wondered about crewing on a yacht delivery, but if this is still going on by May we might have to look at sailing back, or just forget about ever going home.

Seems ironic that Portugal is on the Red list because of fears of the Brazilian variant when it is the UK variant that is running amok here.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Cunning plan no. 2

We can sail to the Canaries and fly home from there.

Sigh of relief.

We also have cunning plan 3, go to stay with friends in mainland Spain for ten days once the border is open.

I will NEVER pay Travelodge for the privilege.

- W

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Plenty of flights back from Lisbon to Heathrow via Schiphol, Madrid, Paris and elsewhere if you want to get back before hotel quarantine. Only prob is the £600 or thereabouts cost when pre-flight virus tests added and you're still having to pay for boat in marina for unknown time scale.

Sailfree

Visit site
So we have a working engine in the boat and empty bank accounts.

But currently nowhere to sail to, and now nowhere to fly back to even if we could find a flight, as three grand for being banged up in an airport travelodge really isn't an option.

We were looking forward to flying home and seeing friends and family when the UK lockdown eases, but it seems there is very little chance of that happening now.

Catherine has wondered about crewing on a yacht delivery, but if this is still going on by May we might have to look at sailing back, or just forget about ever going home.

Seems ironic that Portugal is on the Red list because of fears of the Brazilian variant when it is the UK variant that is running amok here.

- W

Glad your engine now better! Just got to cure Covid.

Covid is causing financial problems for many and causing a lot of mental illness with stress.

I think you just have to deal with the isolation as best as possible until Covid infection rate falls.

Its a sad situation for many. Its effectively 18months out of our lives sort of living in limbo.

Hopefully herd immunity from those that have had Covid plus vaccine will slowly bring it under control.

Governments have to plan now for future pandemics. When you consider the amount of international travel its amazing really that we have not had a pandemic since the Spanish Flu over 100yrs ago.

We built our house with a view to parties, music nights family and friends visits - all on hold and possibly restricted in future with potential increased travel costs for Covid tests each way, risk of quarantine and being caught in shutdown and health insurance costs. The days of considering a trip UK to Lisbon for £19.99 are gone forever I suspect!

What marina are you in now?

atol

Visit site
I wonder what will happen with all those people that drove down to portugal in vans and motorhomes and are needing to leave the EU by the end of march ?

Graham376

Visit site
Hopefully herd immunity from those that have had Covid plus vaccine will slowly bring it under control.
Governments have to plan now for future pandemics. When you consider the amount of international travel its amazing really that we have not had a pandemic since the Spanish Flu over 100yrs ago.

I suspect this pandemic will be around for long time yet due to the numbers who will refuse to be vaccinated allowing mutations with no vaccine cover. Maybe we'll be back to the old days where vaccination certificates had to be presented for travel to/from some areas.

atol

Visit site
I suspect this pandemic will be around for long time yet due to the numbers who will refuse to be vaccinated allowing mutations with no vaccine cover. Maybe we'll be back to the old days where vaccination certificates had to be presented for travel to/from some areas.
It would be problematic when ,A you can still carry the virus even if vaccinated,and B we are only vaccinating those 18 years and over.

syvictoria

Visit site
I feel your pain, truly I do, but we ALL just need to stay put and wait for the situation to improve - which it will do if we all play our part. Purposely avoiding/ignoring quarantine, travelling through other regions/countries, generally going/doing whatever you want, is selfish and will ultimately only prolong the situation. It's frustrating, it's annoying, it's life wasting, but it is what it is. As they say, act as if you're asymptomatic - and be a considerate citizen/human being.

We are all where we are (geographically speaking) due to previous choices. Now we just have to wait it out.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Glad your engine now better! Just got to cure Covid.

Covid is causing financial problems for many and causing a lot of mental illness with stress.

I think you just have to deal with the isolation as best as possible until Covid infection rate falls.

Its a sad situation for many. Its effectively 18months out of our lives sort of living in limbo.

We built our house with a view to parties, music nights family and friends visits - all on hold and possibly restricted in future with potential increased travel costs for Covid tests each way, risk of quarantine and being caught in shutdown and health insurance costs. The days of considering a trip UK to Lisbon for £19.99 are gone forever I suspect!

What marina are you in now?

We are still in Cascais, launched yesterday after a stupefyingly expensive month in the yard and an Airbnb flat. Just paid a month up front's marina fees, need to be out of here by end of March as prices more than double then.

Engine trials next week hopefully, then hoping to head for the Algarve at the end of the month or first weather window thereafter.

If the hotel quarantine nonsense continues then we may head for the Canaries and leave the boat there while we fly home for the Summer. Then back to the Algarve in the Autumn via Madeira.

Plans are pointless at this stage, but thinking about options is fun!

(And having a boat + Portuguese residency gives us more options than many)

- W

Sailfree

Visit site
In Portugal GRN are doing lots of roadside checks and handing out lots of fines for transgressors.

With the current death toll I think failing to obey the quarantine/lockdown rules is akin to attempted murder.

No one gets Covid without contact from an infected person.

Reactions: GHA

Sailfree

Visit site
We are still in Cascais, launched yesterday after a stupefyingly expensive month in the yard and an Airbnb flat. Just paid a month up front's marina fees, need to be out of here by end of March as prices more than double then.

Engine trials next week hopefully, then hoping to head for the Algarve at the end of the month or first weather window thereafter.

If the hotel quarantine nonsense continues then we may head for the Canaries and leave the boat there while we fly home for the Summer. Then back to the Algarve in the Autumn via Madeira.

Plans are pointless at this stage, but thinking about options is fun!

(And having a boat + Portuguese residency gives us more options than many)

- W

Sorry for your unexpected problems and extra expense.

No help but the text message I put on the screen of a early mobile phone " When there is no sh*t in life - it means your dead!"

Bobc

Visit site
Greece announced today that they are considering vaccine passports for visitors, where to get one you have to be vaccinated and also have a covid test within 72hrs of departure. With this you won't have to quarantine.

They have obviously seen the speed at which the UK are vaccinating and have worked out that the UK is the market that can save the Greek tourist industry this summer. I wonder which other countries will follow suit? Spain, Portugal, Italy, France?

Graham376

Visit site
Does Portuguese residency mean that you don't need to worry about the 90/180 day rule?

Having residence allows unlimited stay in that country but 90/180 elsewhere. Under current travel restrictions, we're not allowed to leave our local area without very good reason so, being registered with address in Cascais, Webby doesn't have valid reason for in-country travel. Likewise, our address is Lisbon so no excuse to travel to boat in Faro, unless there was a serious problem with it.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Greece announced today that they are considering vaccine passports for visitors, where to get one you have to be vaccinated and also have a covid test within 72hrs of departure. With this you won't have to quarantine.

They have obviously seen the speed at which the UK are vaccinating and have worked out that the UK is the market that can save the Greek tourist industry this summer. I wonder which other countries will follow suit? Spain, Portugal, Italy, France?
British government developing vaccine passport

Graham376

Visit site

Good idea, would force those wanting to travel to have the vaccine.

st599

Visit site

Old days? I've used mine about 10 times for work in the past 5 years.

IATA already have a vaccine passport in trials with Emirates. Hopefully the UK will be sensible and actually sign up to at least a Europe-wide scheme, rather than go it alone and end up with a scheme incompatible with those used in places people want to travel to.