Portugal on the Red list

Visit site
We are still in Cascais, launched yesterday after a stupefyingly expensive month in the yard and an Airbnb flat. Just paid a month up front's marina fees, need to be out of here by end of March as prices more than double then.

Engine trials next week hopefully, then hoping to head for the Algarve at the end of the month or first weather window thereafter.

If the hotel quarantine nonsense continues then we may head for the Canaries and leave the boat there while we fly home for the Summer. Then back to the Algarve in the Autumn via Madeira.

Plans are pointless at this stage, but thinking about options is fun!

(And having a boat + Portuguese residency gives us more options than many)

- W
Exactly right and good to make scenarios. I sense your frustration and anger. Mine is probably greater though being stuck here in England. Everything is crap, but there are those suffering more greatly with personal tradgedies. Notwithstanding these truisms, your residency indeed gives you options for sun and cheaper living. The 90/180 days, and the VAT wrongs, are the biggest problems and barriers for most of us if we 'survive':- it's just not yet truly realised by the great majority how damaging the latter things will be. Covid is just going to be part of life one way or another forever...and if it's not Covid it WILL be, guaranteed, another similar type of HxNx virus that comes, in the next 2 years or a little more, from the over industrialisation of meat food production and the improper association of 'wild" species with domestic animals and humans in China, SE Asia or West Africa, or indeed from the antibiotic dependent and contaminated animals/ meat from the West. So, our big problems are really Political. Off topic perhaps, but not really when you think about it in a bigger picture. Anyway, back to planning my cruising escape....

Sailfree

Visit site
I think for the average traveller, vaccination certs are rarer these days since smallpox no longer needed. For out of the way places no doubt still required, I remember the typhoid, cholera, yellow fever etc., jabs I used to have.

Last cruise to Caribbean including Panama Canal many ignored the Cruise ships pre check in warning that Yellow fever Vaccine was required. During cruise check in there were bus loads of them being taken to a local Vaccination Centre to pay for and get Yellow Fever Vaccine.

I suspect it will be repeated in future but now for Covid - if the Cruise Industry is to ever recover.