Portugal issue??

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
It took 15 days from my appointment with SEF for my residence card to arrive. Now to learn the local lingo, which might take me several decades.

Really can't think why my wife thinks I should have learned more than **** off and other expletives after 53 years of marriage. Never had an argument with mother-in-law, she didn't speak English :D

Visit site
It took 15 days from my appointment with SEF for my residence card to arrive. Now to learn the local lingo, which might take me several decades.
I can give you a few tips - first is FORGET the grammar, you will acquire enough as you go along, to communicate you need vocabulary. No language is,per se, difficult at a basic level.Five year old children chat easily without ever having had a grammar lesson. Some of my fellow citizens will say that it is "uma lingua traiçoeira" because it makes them feel clever. Forget it and just start learning some words.. It's a good idea when learning a noun to note the gender e.g. uma mesa (table) but um copo and if you go round the house sticking name labels on everything you will soon learn. Portuguese is basically a Latin language and a vast number of English words have the same origin so look for the similarities e.g. similaridades.When a word ends in " ão" a nasal sound ow rhyming with now it indicates that the letter n has been lost and the word is likely to exist in English - pronunciação - pronunciation .
Some people find looking at the front page of a popular Portuguese newspaper both helpful and interesting - you may well recognize current news items and a popular rag like Correio da Manha tends to use the present tense in it's headlines which simplifies reading and learning. We do the same in everyday conversation - if I ask you about holidays you are likely to say "We are going in August" instead of the grammatically correct "We will be going".
I do not claim to teach Portuguese which would take hundreds of hours. My aim is to teach people how to learn and I have had some degree of success during the past few decades correcting the damage done by "teachers" who will treat adults like schoolchildren, insisting on unnecessary grammar.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Went to the Lisbon one on Tuesday. Big queues but the security at the door took us in after we showed the email and put us in a line alongside a line which the girl at the desk dealt with first. I suspect it was the named time which prompted this. She scanned the code on the paper we have had for a while and gave us a waiting number. We sat down for about three quarters of an hour. Then in and it was all done quickly. The address at the marina was a bit long for the boxes she looked at our invoice for the berth so she shortened it. Index finger print and photo then out. Took about 10 minutes.
said up to two months for plastic card to arrive. Explained that we should look at our account and how to pay €15 each

billskip

Visit site
I'm really surprised to read this! All the Portuguese people that I've interacted with have gone out of their way to be welcoming.
Here it has always been bring an interpreter, I think it's a legal requirement to ensure there is no misunderstanding.
The Spanish people here could not be more friendly and helpful, to the extent they apologise to me for their bad English....

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Here it has always been bring an interpreter, I think it's a legal requirement to ensure there is no misunderstanding.
The Spanish people here could not be more friendly and helpful, to the extent they apologise to me for their bad English....

Under UK law if you sign something, you are assumed to have read it but, Portuguese law dictates it must be read out to you and anything not understood is explained. When purchasing property, I had to take interpreter although I could read and mostly understand the documents, wife not allowed to interpret for me as she was involved party and a relation. The notary spoke excellent English but it had to be someone independent but not necessarily qualified interpreter, so I took a friend.

P.S. Parts of the translation were difficult as some Portuguese law terms have no direct UK equivalent.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
Took my native interpreter with me at Lisbon, they wouldn't allow her in. Woman doing application spoke perfect English.
Yes, happens here ...its only in really difficult situations I have to send in the interpreter to explain everything, she comes out and I go in .

Inselaffe

Visit site
Hi,
My wife worked for SEF as an intern many years ago, she was sacked for refusing to work slower - true story.

I know this makes me sound very dumb (fittingly) but what are the docs you need to prove to the authorities that the boat is EU VAT exempt?
I know it must be on here (elsewhere) somewhere, but I am lazily trying to avoid hours of searching by asking people who probably already know.

I have had my little UK flagged 1981 ETAP 22 here in PT for decades but never worried about it before, but contact with @Graham376 (thanks!) made me realise that for my post Brexit status (i.e. 90 days) proving this for B-Day is important

I have never bothered before as with such a small boat I didnt consider VAT status a problem
And because things were different here before, and I was younger and generally winged it.

By my question above, I mean two, separate things:
1. the docs etc to prove and to obtain this VAT status
2. the docs to prove you have this VAT status

Thanks

EDIT: I am PT resident

Inselaffe

Visit site
1. Your marina or boatyard receipt that covers 31 Dec 2020 (or was it 2021?) proves the boat was in the EU on the Brexit date.
2. The paper trail from when the boat was bought new should clear up any VAT questions
Thanks @Stingo
1. is easy
2. Prob not possible, boat bought in 1981 by a guy who is dead and from a company that no longer exists (ETAP), unless I can find out which dealer he bought it from
oh well

Stingo

Visit site
Ref 2, boats only became VAT payable in about 1987. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us exactly which year it was. I assume you have the purchase agreement from 1981, so that means you have no VAT issues

Last edited:

Inselaffe

Visit site
I assume you have the purchase agreement from 1981,
Ooops, no
I have a Kaufvertrag document that says that the last owner sold it to me. In 2003 . In Germany
I still have the original paper tags for the rigging etc, brochure, inventory etc though, and pretty much all other documentation :D
She's probly only worth about 3 or 4 grand, so being liable to pay vat is not a big deal, I am only interested in being able to sail her here in PT under an UK flag
I work in a state Uni and know PT bureaucracy - dont want to get involved in reflagging (then yearly(') inspections, etc etc etc)

greeny

Visit site
Ooops, no
I have a Kaufvertrag document that says that the last owner sold it to me. In 2003 . In Germany
I still have the original paper tags for the rigging etc, brochure, inventory etc though, and pretty much all other documentation :D
She's probly only worth about 3 or 4 grand, so being liable to pay vat is not a big deal, I am only interested in being able to sail her here in PT under an UK flag
I work in a state Uni and know PT bureaucracy - dont want to get involved in reflagging (then yearly(') inspections, etc etc etc)
I'd just keep sailing her on the UK flag and don't worry. No one here in the Algarve is asking for vat receipts to prove where and when, at least not at the moment. I assume Lisbon is the same. There may be an issue when you come to sell her. If selling to someone who wants to change her onto Portugal flag then there may be some vat to pay here (portuguese registration authority do ask for proof of vat paid on registration - been there) if you don't have supportive paperwork, but not a lot on that value of boat. If selling to someone who is planning on staying on ssr then they may not be too bothered or may ask for a reduction to cover potential for paying vat at a later date.
Out of interest, many Hull numbers incorporate the date of manufacture, if you could find yours it may show you are vat exempt anyway. Your receipts for work carried out around B day could also show boats location at that time.

Last edited:

Inselaffe

Visit site
Thanks @greeny
I do know that via the HIN, she was no 989, and that this meant she was built in 1981 - I even know the day and month! but I cant for the life of me remember how I got that info
Must have been an online database or a forum or somewhere!
This ties up with what the previous owner told me too - 1981

Other threads that may be of interest