Portugal - Best West Coast Port of Entry

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
I’m planning a direct crossing from UK to Portugal this summer. I had my hopes set on the Douro marina but it look like this isn’t a recognised port of entry. Can anyone recommend a good port of entry nearby?

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Hmm, Noonsite is OK but some of the entries date back to 2015. I was hoping for some input from someone whose recently done it!

greeny

Visit site

V1701

Visit site
I've been in Leixoes recently, the visitors pontoon is on the left just as you enter the marina, park up there if you arrive in the middle of the night or something. Or anchor outside. The lady in the office is business-like but friendly, everyone is generally very friendly & it's cheap as chips. Get a berth as far away from the entrance as you can, less swell. Very easy access to Porto but there are plenty of bars, eateries, food shops, etc. close by...

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I would be wary about planning several days in advance to enter some of those ports, without knowing if they offer a safe access or not when you actually arrive there. There may be bad weather but also simple swell which can make a number of them plain dangerous (some are officially closed, or entry is conditional to some minimum boat size). Povoa, Figueira da foz, Viana do castelo etc have had their number of sinkings (and as rescue people died while trying to save people from boats stranded on the bars, now there are also hefty fines for people attempting entry when not allowed.
Updated conditions can be found here
Estado das Barras
Without internet, once in Portuguese waters you may hail by VHF "Cencomar centro" to have a real time update of port entry conditions, sometimes it takes a bit of repeated calling. :)