Pontoon problem

Refueler

Visit site
TFkYktIl.jpg

The three pontoons to left in channel are now across the channel creating a floating bridge from one side to other. This makes electrical supply much easier and access to boats from both banks.

But the pontoons are 2nd hand and quite old. The woodwork being plain untreated and was not so good in various places when I bought. But price was good ...

I have new grooved treated wood specially for balcony's pontoons etc ready with main beams ... but problem is the pontoons are metal framed with closed metal pipe flotation. Very heavy. Weather has created soft ground and would not be possible to get suitable truck to lift as when they were lifted in ...

nNqxFFVl.jpg

The problem of construction :

The grooved boards - same as many UK pontoons as Latvia actually exports same to UK etc for pontoons !! - are screwed to main beams set into metal longitudinal U frames. Take off the boards - no problem .. but then need to have footing to stand and remove the main beams ... standing on the flotation pipes is not advised ...

So how to remove all and leave metal frame .. then fit the new main beams ? They are 6m long and 20cm x 20cm sqaure for sides and 15 x 20 centre line beams ....

One suggestion made by a pal ... wait till winter and they are frozen in ... the ice will be thick enough to walk and work on ... mmmmmmmm not exactly my idea of fun !

I am considering towing each one in turn to the nearest slipway and then the truck can lift and bring them home to stand on the ground.

But if there is a way to do while on water - that would be preferred...... my truck crane can lift the beams OK .. so maybe put pontoons back along the bank ??

Refueler

Visit site
metal pontoon frame.jpg

The main beams and cross boards must go on without joints ... which means the metal frame shown here must be completely clear of old woodwork. Looks like I will need large flat sheet or boards to lay across the pipes to stand on ...

Removing old - I am hoping to remove without need for chainsaw ... but if necessary that will be ..

When new cross boards go on - I am going to have plastic 200ltr drums under as well. The pontoons as now with just the metal pipe floats are very unstable unless locked together. Seller which had these as the visitors pontoons in Roja port - put drums under - which he also gave me. I will be getting more drums to add and create my own pontoons ...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Due to the fact we have very few trees in South Africa all wood is imported the fences are made form sections concrete which are mainly flat panels about 300mm wide by about 1.2 meters long and I have considered using this or concrete "sleepers which is also of similar sizes as the walking surface of my jetty.

reinforced Concrete last a very long time and in fact Durban Marina jetties are steel framed infilled with cast in reinforced concrete and are very stable and long lasting.

Your channel land end could be developed into a launching ramp with a concrete base and with your mini digger could be dug out and a concrete cast into the ramp.

It may be possible to block off the water side of your channel to allow the ramp to be gug and concreted in the dry and when the water freezers

Just some thoughts

Refueler

Visit site
Yep ... my head gets full of ideas ... the damming of end was considered - but I already have a shallow sill problem there where I cannot get to it with excavator ... its what prompted me to buy the excavator and consider mounting on a pontoon.

Marintec use concrete for their pontoons

My channel really needs sorting and a proper layout designed ...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Could you not mount your existing digger onto one of your exiting pontoons to clear the channel entry sill

You could park your cars and attach lines to tow bars to control the position of the pontoon while using the digger if you don't have cleats on the edge of the channel

Bouba

Visit site
Make the metal frame so that the barrels are captive...but loose. That way they act as wheels and can be rolled in

Refueler

Visit site
As I mentioned before ... the excavator was bought with intention to put on a pontoon. The problem is that the pontoon tips when working and the excavator is at risk ...
The pontoon requires extra outrigger flotation to control the roll and pitch of the pontoon.

Boubas idea of loose barrels is not as daft as it first reads - but the weight of the pontoon and its height trap the barrels and stop them rotating. It could only work if partially afloat.

Waders ? We are not talking about a small piece to shovel .... its about 3m x 15m ... and needs to have about 60 - 80cms removed .... that's just the sill ...

There's also on running out of the channel - the stbd side is deep .. deep part about 6m wide ... but the other port side is shallow and about 7m wide ... that runs for about 50m .....

So Waders ?? It is a dredging job.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
For outriggers use some barrels on a beam across the jetty and position the jib of the digger at the front in the center of the of the width. The barrels can then be filled with water to balance the digger arm when swung sideways. the barrel at the stern end can also be filled with water to balance the digger arm out front.

The dredger at Durban has legs that can be lowered down to rest on the bottom of the channel to stabilize the jetty

Refueler

Visit site
Yes the design was already made with barrels on outrigger beams as the pontoon was to be also used as a normal pontoon without outriggers.

Second we were looking at mounting Acro stands as used in holding up upper floors / walls of a house ... at least the digger corners to lock the unit in place - avoid it moving out of position when digger in action .. then it became one for each of the four corners ... making the outriggers only really for when pontoon moves ...
From Acros - we then looked at the legs that have cog teeth one side - that can be wound up / down with handle.

We spent a lot of time looking at it ... now it appears I will be constructing it myself alone.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I would cut out the deck planks to access the beams underneath, then use log scissor lifts to grip the beams under the decking, lay planks or ply down on the ground, drive the Hiab or whatever you have over and lift out the decking and beams in one go. Construct the new decking and beams to allow the scissor lifts to access easily.

Something like this Temu | Explore the Latest Clothing, Beauty, Home, Jewelry & More

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I would cut out the deck planks to access the beams underneath, then use log scissor lifts to grip the beams under the decking, lay planks or ply down on the ground, drive the Hiab or whatever you have over and lift out the decking and beams in one go. Construct the new decking and beams to allow the scissor lifts to access easily.

Something like this Temu | Explore the Latest Clothing, Beauty, Home, Jewelry & More

I made a similar lifting grab for lifting 12 105 Ah LA batteries in to and out of my boat

Could also be lifted by screwing an eye bolt into the wood with a rope and a small hook or snap shackle

Refueler

Visit site
I have no trouble using the Hiab .. it has reasonable reach if pontoon is against the bank.

The question is myself and another guy who will be working with me - is having to stand on the metal frame to install the beams etc. while still on the water.

Ideally the pontoons should be on land for this work - but with the weather we've had - ground is now too soft for the larger truck to access alongside channel ... even my mini truck was losing grip at times ..

William_H

Visit site
Hello Nigel. I presume you have considered getting commercial dredger in to clean out the channel. A barge with large digger on might do the job easily if expensive. Worth getting a quote I would think. They may also be able to lift the floats on to dry land. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
Hello Nigel. I presume you have considered getting commercial dredger in to clean out the channel. A barge with large digger on might do the job easily if expensive. Worth getting a quote I would think. They may also be able to lift the floats on to dry land. ol'will

I already have contact and used a commercial land based long arm excavator .. where the land at end of channel has been improved from the swamp it used to be - I could (when dry weather for a while) have them back again.

Wife and I were discussing this yesterday ..

Excavator arrives and then they add extra long arm extension :

sE19bJXl.jpg

First top corner cleared :

hMFUmBOl.jpg

Starting on main channel..

EkVlaGal.jpg

dWjd7WQl.jpg

Guy is over 3m into water ..

9q7kybkl.jpg

Moving round to complete

KJqL2Pnl.jpg

As I say - the land has been raised at the channel end - where when above work taken on - was too wet for the excavator. Now its possible.

There are no water borne small dredgers available in this area .. and what are in Latvia will not accept work outside their local areas. The reason I decided to try create my own. The idea is now taking on more importance and I want to solve it.