Pontoon problem

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes, I can see but you don't know until you try. Clearly digging out is the best and widening your channel entries with a flow diverter at the upstream end may also help further silting

Boathook

Visit site
Understood ... but strange as it may seem - the area to clear is split into two :

Here is the general layout of my channel in relation to the bend in the river ... flow of river is from bottom to top ...

View attachment 183608

Now zoomed in you can see that the shallow bit (red square) is actually on the UPriver side - not on the downriver side as you'd expect.

View attachment 183611

Blowing would likely cause transfer to the other side of channel - possibly just widening the problem. It needs to be piped to the downriver side and out into the river to ensure it does not collect.

You can also see the long red rectangle - that is also shallow and needs removal ... the grass / reed cutter could only surface clear the growth .. we still have the growth under the water - ready to appear again.
I think that you will always have the silting problem unless you re-engineer the river.

Just a case of sorting out the easiest way for regular silt removal, which I feel is an water pump with the outlet directed at the silt forcing it back into the river.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
A skyhook would solve that problem! NASA have used that technique successfully on Mars 😉

Having designed and built several types of lifting equipment there are solutions but at a cost depending on the local conditions but It looks like one of Nigel's problems is soft soil conditions next to the channel so his truck will get stuck

Mister E

Visit site
Build the pontoon on your slipway with rollers underneath it. Then when complete winch it into the water using 2 winches fixed to each bank of the inlet.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The pontoon I built I used my boat trailer to launch my pontoon down the slipway at my club and once floating I then towed it to the required location with my motorboat.

I don't think Nigel has a slipway

DownWest

Visit site
Just mental meandering...
But, put a skirt on the pontoon and a decent fan, so you can 'hovercraft' it about? Fan could be powered by a small car engine?

While measuring up for the construction of a causeway out into the Tejo river, part of a lesure complex, they showed me a small hovercraft and asked if I could get it going.. Used a VW golf engine for the fan...

Boathook

Visit site
A skyhook would solve that problem! NASA have used that technique successfully on Mars 😉
Many years ago had a catalogue that listed sky hooks. I can't remember the company name now.

I was a technical trainee at work and some wise person came and asked me to source some sky hooks. I gave them the catalogue and asked which type. No more problems from that person !

steppygas

Visit site
In regards to the dredging would a plough style system work, either dragging a bucket / RSJ from land with a winch, with it being set up like a kedge with one of the boats and pulling the muck in land. Or towing behind one of the boats dragging it out into the river be an option?

Mister E

Visit site
Many years ago had a catalogue that listed sky hooks. I can't remember the company name now.

I was a technical trainee at work and some wise person came and asked me to source some sky hooks. I gave them the catalogue and asked which type. No more problems from that person !
DMM name some hooks that had a carabiner attachment for use on very small bits of sticky out rocks when climbing.
I don't remember them selling well.

Refueler

Visit site

New Cadets on ships were often asked to :

1. Collect a bucket of steam from E/R
2. See Duty Engineer for 'Key of the Keelson'
3. See Duty Engineer for 'Skyhooks'
4. Go to bridge and ask Duty Watchkeeper for 'Long Stand'

There are others ...

Refueler

Visit site
OK ... Pontoons .... having used guys to lift Superanne and truck home so I can complete cabin rebuild ... I spoke and struck a deal with them.

The three pontoons were transported by them to my channel - but now ground is too wet and truck would have problems.

ryA0hiol.jpg

Deal is that now my Motor Boat is back in service again .. I shall tow each pontoon about 1km downstream to public slipway area and they will be lifted out .. placed on top of each other on the truck and then brought to my house .. placed on the ground upside down - to have the corroded sections of the pipes plated ... then when that's done - they will return to flip them over - for the woodwork to be replaced.