Polpero warning

Blakey

Visit site
On a passage back from the Isles of scilly we stopped of at Polpero,it was evening so we went in moored up on the visitors bouy went ashore by dingy tied up to the steps just outside the main harbour,had a nice dinner in one of the local pubs,on our return to the dingy we found someone had untied the rope and let it loose.Luckely for us the wind was light and the dingy had just drifted into a rockey corner of the outer harbour.
I like to think it was just kids having a bit of fun.But Who knows,
I would advise anyone visiting to either take the dingy in to the inner harbour or make sure to keep an eye out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
sadly anywhere with large numbers of bored children is likely to result in problems. you were lucky the ding wasn't dried out on a shingle beach as it might have been used as a trampoline.

i heard the story of a man who arrived at the shore to find a family using his beached boat as a picnic seat. he sat on their car to eat his sandwiches and got them very upset indeed. they couldn't see the parallel as they seemed to assume boats were communal property.

i have heard other darker rumours about treatment of visitors' boats in polperro but don't know if they are true.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lynette

Visit site
I was in Polperro yesterday and also nearly lost the dinghy - more a case of the tide rising far more rapidly than expected than vandalism. But there is absolutely nowhere outside to tie the dinghy to, not even a convenient stone!

Its a pretty place but so narrow outside on the moorings that with our stern no more than 10 feet from the rocks we didn't leave the boat for long. And vicious gulls!

charles_reed

Visit site
Polperro

I once, in about 40 trips, stopped at Polperro - the business of the gates, the rudeness of the emmetts and the general angst of working one's way in, decided me against ever calling there again.

So I treated the N Cornish coast as a non stopover leg and am very glad I did so.

I'm afraid that during holiday times ones' dinghy is always at risk, even in France, which is one of the more civilized cruising areas.

I always:

1. Padlock the outboard onto the transom
2. Use a large grapnel on chain and rope to moor the dinghy.
3. Frequently remove and hide the oars.

<hr width=100% size=1>