• Yes

Votes: 115 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 76 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It would seem to be more common than we may have expected . Doesn't necessarily have to be your own fault. Lets find out.

Votes not displayed publicly .14 day poll.

• Multiple votes are allowed = May be more than just yourself falling in.

Dipper

Visit site
I fell off my stern ladder whilst on my swinging mooring. I was wearing wellies and full clothing but also a lifejacket which kept me afloat whilst I scrambled back out. My car key fob in my pocket survived because I immediately removed the battery and dunked it in a mug of fresh water followed by a good soaking in WD40.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I fell off my stern ladder whilst on my swinging mooring. I was wearing wellies and full clothing but also a lifejacket which kept me afloat whilst I scrambled back out. My car key fob in my pocket survived because I immediately removed the battery and dunked it in a mug of fresh water followed by a good soaking in WD40.
Good to know.
Do mobile phones survive and does inserting them in dry rice make them work again ?:)

penberth3

Visit site
Good to know.
Do mobile phones survive and does inserting them in dry rice make them work again ?:)

I don't think the rice is necessary. Anything electrical and wet I remove battery, remove or open all possible covers and leave in a warm dry place for a couple of days, e.g. near a CH radiator.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've fallen in the water whilst getting into the dinghy. Was wearing an auto LJ - the hardest bit was getting the transom ladder lowered so I could climb back aboard - now have a rope attached to the retaining clip so can be released when in the water.
Also fell off a ladder in the boatyard whilst fixing the winter cover(make sure you fully tighten the bowline before pulling taught) The boatyard owner saw it happen - no injury though.

bdh198

Visit site
I’ve been in three times unplanned. Twice in a marina and once when solo sailing a Sailfish 18 down Farnham Creek. However, I’ll only cast one vote.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Many capsizes from many racing dinghies many years ago.
Once from a dinghy which capsized when I was doing some work under the bridge deck of our catamaran. To this day I can't see how it happened. Climbed out, retrieved and emptied dinghy, no harm done.

pandos

Visit site
I fell in whilst tieing UpTo a mooring in the dark whilst it was raining in full foulies and boots... Life jacket worked and all was well. Surprising how hard it is to keep a pair of Dubbarry boots on whilst you swim....

I'd be dead without the LJ.

Also fell from ladder in yard... Not tied on...managed to grab with one hand which caused ladder to spin. I ended up hanging from the underside by one hand...(it hurt alot but no long term damage) a few days later a neighbour fell in a similar fashion and broke his hip....

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
i too fell from the deck of my yacht while in the yard, the previous yacht a fin keel, on a trailer. so quite high. had motorbike gear on so that made the landing heavier but also protected though it still hurt my back and winded me
I fell from a pontoon and landed on my coccyx. It would have been better if I had fallen into the water. Took about 18 months to get right.

In the water once. Conventional ever widening gap as per Youtube offerings.

Hunterlees

Visit site
I tipped up a dinghy and went into the harbour a couple of years ago. My nearly new automatic lifejacket would not inflate even by pulling the toggle.
I now check them all carefully before they are put into service.

NealB

Visit site
I've sailed since about 1965.

I feel illogically nervous of saying so, but I've never fallen in accidentally from a cruising boat.

I have had several unplanned dunkings, from numerous capsized dinghies.

The most memorable was in a National 12, at the gybe mark, during a bitterly cold, fiercely breezy, Hamble Warming Pan in around 1974ish.