Poised for the perfect docking manoeuvre... engage astern... and there goes the propeller...

Tranona

Visit site
Claim off your insurance if you can't find the prop and cutter. New bits over £1k plus towing and lftout/launch - another £500? An hour for a diver, maybe £100+ to show the insurance you tried. Claim that as well for inspecting for any other damage.

That is what you pay your premiums for. Would guess your excess is around £4-500 and the claim won't have much effect on future premiums.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well just maybe trusting a Boat to Stop quickly , going in either direction , is best not relied upon , eh ? Best practice I maintain is , have only Just enough way upon Her to perform the manouver intended , so that She glides into place /berth , maybe thats the Way ? When working the London Thames I ofte saw Pleasure Craft using 'big hands full ' of thrust when close manouvering along side , sometimes these Pleasure Craft made quite a bump or crunch when contacting the Pier , Pontoon , other Craft , etc etc all quite unessary in my experience , but suppose one does as one can

Tranona

Visit site
Well just maybe trusting a Boat to Stop quickly , going in either direction , is best not relied upon , eh ? Best practice I maintain is , have only Just enough way upon Her to perform the manouver intended , so that She glides into place /berth , maybe thats the Way ? When working the London Thames I ofte saw Pleasure Craft using 'big hands full ' of thrust when close manouvering along side , sometimes these Pleasure Craft made quite a bump or crunch when contacting the Pier , Pontoon , other Craft , etc etc all quite unessary in my experience , but suppose one does as one can
You try it with 8 tons of high windage boat getting into a tight marina berth.

Tranona

Visit site
I imagine that depends on the policy. But mine with GJW is protected no claim discount. My excess is £250-00 but £500-00 for SH.
Most policies allow some choice with excess as the higher the voluntary excess the lower the premium, although most as you say have a compulsory minimum.

The financial decision to claim depends of course on the individual sums involved and your ability to keep the cost as low as possible. Here, Mark might be lucky and the diver finds everything and reattaches it underwater (seen that done in Greece with a charter boat like mine) which might cost a couple of hundred. However once you get towing and lift charges a claim starts to look sensible.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Claim on your insurance for a new propeller and lift out plus additional berthing and traveling back home and back.
And then they don't pay the entire claim, leaving you with a big charge, and after a few more similar episodes, cancelled insurance. Finally, there is often a clause requiring you to do what you can to minimize the loss, which in this case is a diver.

Should not be hard to find. In my case, I keep a dry suit on the boat as a matter of contingency seamanship, and I would have snorkeled for the prop within 10 minutes. Probably done before you got the camera rigged up. I'd would likely have had it back together the next morning, after aquiring a nut, without hauling. Yup, done stuff like that before.

For example, what would you do if you were somewhere truly remote? What if the weather was too rough for an easy tow? Easier to dive for the prop than figure it out and do the paperwork.

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
My old Albin Ballad (30 foot, long keeled) I used to own, I would manoeuvre very slowly around marinas and warp a lot (she was much lighter, so I could), and use her prop walk (want to go twenty degrees to port in the boats length?? Do 340 degrees to starboard instead!). With Mirage, she is a Bavaria 40, and I tried tiptoeing around marinas like I did with Triola with disastrous results. She has lots of windage, is too heavy to rope around in any wind, and with a fin keel, and spade rudder, has very little grip. You slow down, the wind will take you, and you WILL go sideways (at pace), or the bow will blow off. The best method is to keep on pace, and yes, to stop quickly.

If astern would have functioned, it would have been perfect. We used to have a bow fender, as I learned to use the boat, that now sits in the garage (my boy pointed out we should have had it on) as I can hold her in position perfectly well on the engine. I am very glad my wife didn't try and stop her on warps or do anything foolish. You can repair the boat, my crew are more dear to me (I'm not sure they would always agree!).

I appreciate the advice though.

Thank you everyone for the useful comments. I wish I was man enough to get in the drink and have a delve. I DO have a wet suit... no snorkel though... (that is at home - should keep it on board!)... One trouble will be the visibility, getting down there is one thing - finding it in near zero visibility will mean rooting around for some time.

Tranona

Visit site
On visibility. Many years ago when my old Eventide had a Stuart Turner engine I had taken it apart while the boat was on its swinging mooring and took various bits including the cylinder head home - can't remember exactly why. It was early in the year and after doing whatever was needed I was anxious to get it back together. Unfortunately like a couple of weeks ago there was a series of low pressure systems rolling across which meant for over a week I could not get out. Sunday afternoon and a bit of a lull so I chanced it. Rowed out in my little clinker ply pram with the bits in a bright yellow canvas bag,. For some reason when I got close to the boat I stopped rowing and looked behind me. Wind caught me and swung onto mooring chain of the boat behind. Flipped the dinghy and dumped me and bag in. The moorings are in about 3m at low water on the north side the channel that is dredged to about 8m. Fortunately had a buoyancy aid on and managed to hold onto the dinghy which floated upside down. The wind was mainly from the south so a combination of wind and swimming got me into shallow water and I was able to walk back to the yard where my car was.

Next morning it was almost flat calm and I got hold of a diver who found my bag still with contents halfway down the cliff at the edge of the channel. He said it was like soup and most of the search was by feel although the bright yellow helped. Took about 20 minutes. Everything dried out OK including the original ST handbook and got the engine going later in the week.

So worth trying a diver, not least because it will show your insurer should you decide to claim, you tried the cheap solution first.

Tranona

Visit site
And then they don't pay the entire claim, leaving you with a big charge, and after a few more similar episodes, cancelled insurance. Finally, there is often a clause requiring you to do what you can to minimize the loss, which in this case is a diver.
Of course they only pay what they are obliged to by the contract but no reason not to claim if the sum involved justifies it. As I explained above typical excess is between £250-500 and this claim is likely to run up to £1500-2000. The claim might result in an increase in future premiums but likely to be a lot less than the value of the claim.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Last time I was at Woolverstone I was in company with 2 other boats & berthed on the upstream end of the pontoons. That part traped a massive amount of scum & filth 6-9 inches thick. It moved slowly along the pontoons in a big wadge.It then piled up against our boats making a mess of the topsides. We even tried letting out boats drift out from the pontoons by 3 feet so the muck would drift around us better. It seemed to collect in a lagoon near the shore.
If I was a diver, there is no way I would consider diving in anything like that. I assume it works its way throughout the marina on each tide . We did not stay long enough to find out.
With no useful services, I cannot understand the attraction of the place. But many do stay there, so it must have something, apart from water & electric.

Martin_J

Visit site
Surely a castellated nut and split pin are foolproof.
Sadly, these Volvo saildrives only have a thin plastic washer, a cone that is tightened first and then a long cap had screw down the middle that's locked against the cone.

I had always thought it strange with neither a castellated nut with pin, nor a tab washer to hold this into place.

I must admit, using a split anode now, I no longer have to remove and refit the prop on every anode change nowadays.

Screenshot_20230530-142816_Gallery.jpg

Looking at an online schematic though, I found one that appears to show a Volvo saildrive leg with washer/cone/bolt but in a small box above that, there is what looks like a castellated nut and securing pin.

Screenshot_20230530-140204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is that possible? To replace a cone and bolt with a castellated nut?