PLB question!

derekgillard

Visit site
I'm planning a couple of Solent to Cherbourg crossings this year.

We will have a life raft but increasingly I'm thinking a PLB or similar might be worth the investment. Likely we would have three on board and was thinking of one for the boat so in the event of rig failure and loss of our DSC radio we could seek help.

Is this a sensible option and if so what device would you recommend?

Thanks Derek

Plum

Visit site
I'm planning a couple of Solent to Cherbourg crossings this year.

We will have a life raft but increasingly I'm thinking a PLB or similar might be worth the investment. Likely we would have three on board and was thinking of one for the boat so in the event of rig failure and loss of our DSC radio we could seek help.

Is this a sensible option and if so what device would you recommend?

Thanks Derek

A PLB is a good idea for each person but i don't see why you need one for the boat as well. Think about where you will fit the PLB. One in a pouch fitted to the waist strap of your lifejacket may be extremely difficult to reach if you end up in the water with the lifejacket inflated. An inflated lifejacket severely restricts what you can reach and what you can see downwards. I chose the Ocean Signal PLB1 because its small size allows it to be fitted inside my lifejacket fixed to the mouth top-up tube right where i can see and operate it. If i need it before my lifejacket inflates it is easy to unzip my lifejacket outer.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

prv

Visit site
A PLB is a good idea for each person but i don't see why you need one for the boat as well.

The OP is a little unclear, but I don't think he was suggesting a PLB per person plus one for the boat. I read the "three on board" as three people, not three PLBs. He's proposing to use a PLB as a substitute for an EPIRB, which is not an unreasonable idea. The extra battery life of an EPIRB is irrelevant in European waters, and the auto activation only works if you also buy the expensive self-launching housing which most yachts don't. Otherwise the function of an EPIRB and a PLB carried on the boat are pretty much the same.

Pete

William_H

Visit site
The OP is a little unclear, but I don't think he was suggesting a PLB per person plus one for the boat. I read the "three on board" as three people, not three PLBs. He's proposing to use a PLB as a substitute for an EPIRB, which is not an unreasonable idea. The extra battery life of an EPIRB is irrelevant in European waters, and the auto activation only works if you also buy the expensive self-launching housing which most yachts don't. Otherwise the function of an EPIRB and a PLB carried on the boat are pretty much the same.

Pete

I guess you are right about PLB versus EPIRB however our government authorities require an EPIRB be carried and say a PLB is not acceptable as an EPIRB substitute. Hwever rescue is more likely to be longer here.
One thing for sure an EPIRB or PLB does give a huge additional safety net. As for loss of mast so los of radio I woulds trongly suggest a pushpit mounted optional antenna for VHF. good luck olewill

derekgillard

Visit site

Pete

Yes I was thinking of a PLB available on the boat in as an alternative to an EPIRB , I am only doing cross channel work and maybe offshore down to the West Country not blue water sailing, I just felt it was an added safety device worth buying.

Is this reasonable??

Thanks

AHoy2

Visit site
A PLB will cover the coastal cruising you describe and also has the advantage that you can take it with you if you sail on other vessels (or trek in remote parts come to that).

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
My PLB is effectively registered to the boat.
The registration form is filled in with:
Name of vessel
Type of vessel
Max number of persons carried
MMSI
Callsign
Radio (tick boxes for types)

As well as my details.
I'm guessing that the details supplied to register an EPIRB are the same.

Bathdave

Visit site
I recall reading somewhere that you had to hold them at arms length above your head to have any realistic proposition of it being detected, and as this was rather a tall order if one was in the sea they weren't much practical use.

Can anyone elaborate?

D

Deleted member 36384

A PLB is no use if you can't hold it in the correct position, if dropped overboard or let go when your in the water, or it's held the wrong way it may not be capable of transmitting clearly. If you are wanting the security of an EPIRB which will float and transmit on its own without any human assistance then buy the EPIRB instead.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The PLB should ideally be held so the antenna is vertical and not submerged. Of these two points, keeping it out of the water is the vital one. So if floating in a lifejacket, hold it on you chest. In a liferaft, just make sure it's not submerged in any water that's made it's way into the raft. You'll get better signal radiation if the antenna is as near vertical as possible but it'll still work provided it can see the sky.

pcatterall

Visit site
Another variation on emergency devices are things like our SPOT device, fair enough they would not be much cop on your person in the water ( but OK in life raft).
What we like about ours is the fact that we use it every day for routine 'reporting in' and so are confident it works.

lw395

Visit site
I recall reading somewhere that you had to hold them at arms length above your head to have any realistic proposition of it being detected, and as this was rather a tall order if one was in the sea they weren't much practical use.

Can anyone elaborate?

Complete nonsense.
They are tested for approval mounted on a dummy's lifejacket.
There is margin in the system and they work fine held in the hand so long as the antenna is halfway clear of metal or water.
Not every transmission has to get through to a satellite.