Plastimo platismo?

EASLOOP

Visit site
Which ever! I have one, a hand bearing compass with a permanent light. Trouble is the chamber now has a bubble in it and the light has gone out! Can they be repaired? or is it cheaper to buy a new compass?

All the best
John

Habebty

Visit site
Buy new bulb and compass fluid (although some say gin or vodka can used)

Bulb complete with twisted wire ( which must remain twisted) from chandlers.

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
First the bad news - it probably isn't cost effective to have it professionally repaired. You might successfully open the bung and top up the fluid and it is possible to source new lights, but by then you'll have spent as much as buying a new compass. The light can be temporarily revived by exposing it to a UV light, there was a little piece in PBO some months ago by someone who set up a UV LED circuit to do just that - with a warning not to look into the light yourself! IIRC about thirty seconds of exposure gave a useable light for long enough to take a set of bearings.

The fluid used varies between manufacturers and I can't remmeber which Plastimo use, but they're all commonly available and you can identify them by their smell.

Rob.

VicS

Visit site
Two types of non-battery powered light light have I think been used.

One relies on beta particle emission from a small tritium source. ( sometimes called beta light) As the tritium decays so the light becomes progressively dimmer. The half life of tritium is approx 12 years. The tritium capsules can usually be renewed by a compass repairer.

The other type is what is known as "photo-luminescent". It is activated by exposure to bright light and requires no maintenance.

I think the photo-luminescent type have completely replaced the beta light type. It is what you have it is described as permanent.

As far as the fluid is concerned if you do not use the correct, or at least a compatible, fluid you risk completely mucking up the compass !

If I were to chance it, based on past experience I would try white spirit, a refined paraffin such as barbecue lighting fluid, or possibly even ordinary domestic paraffin.

It should be possible to check candidate fluids by comparing their refractive indices with the original.

Put a small quantity of a candidate fluid in a test tube ( everyone has a rack of test tubes at home don't they?) Add one drop of the fluid extracted from the compass and watch as they mix. If you have found the right fluid then you wont see it as they mix. If you can see it as it mixes its not the same!.
I they don't mix at all you have saved yourself from a ghastly mistake!

EASLOOP

Visit site
Thank you. I knew it was there somewhere i just did't know where. It's my age you know.
Thanks for your replies. Looks like a replacement with the upgraded light is best, Sourced one as £35.
Thanks again

rob2

Visit site
I just found the instructions for my Iris 50. It has a luminescent card and says it is activated by exposure to light - but not to leave it lying in direct sunlight (it'll fog the fluid or cause it to burst). A torch will re-activate it, apparently, but the beta light type will require a UV source.

If you do buy a new one, I'm sure someone will be delighted to have the old one for daytime use - checking for dragging at a lunch stop, for instance.

Rob.

chewi

Visit site
I successsully tooped up my plastimo bulkhead compass with johnsons baby oil.

I would expect them to use the same fluid in a handheld.

Billjratt

Visit site
I topped up my handheld with white spirit successfully having found and repaired the crack in the plastic which caused the original problem. There is a warning about the Betalight which infers that it may be harmful if tampered with.

VicS

Visit site
There is a warning about the Betalight which infers that it may be harmful if tampered with.
That's because it contains radioactive tritium! A beta particle emitter, as I said earlier!

VicS

Visit site
Don't fancy playing around with radio active compass so its replacement time.
Thanks guys
Happy sailing

A compass repairer will be able to replace it.

I had it replaced in my Offshore Mini compass....needs replacing again now.