Planning to liveaboad in the med

Prima

N/A
Visit site
One thing I should add, you do need to register any apartment you intend to rent out with the local authorities (I'm not sure who exactly, my lawyer is handling the nitty gritty bits like that), and I am led to believe it takes several months - which suits me, as I plan to do a bit of internal modernisation and decorating over the winter months ready for the next season

Prima

N/A
Visit site
It seems to be region by region.
Yes it is. For example I will have to register in the Malaga province, what I meant was I don't know what the office is called or anything like that. I'm still in the early stages of it all and learning

Carmel2

Visit site
Yes it is. For example I will have to register in the Malaga province, what I meant was I don't know what the office is called or anything like that. I'm still in the early stages of it all and learning

Plenty of help on the above forum, BTW, not that your are, but they don't favour the bull in a China shop approach that is some times displayed on YBW.

Last edited:

Prima

N/A
Visit site
I do hope I'm not going at it all like a bull in a china shop, I am familiar with the area having had an apartment there since about 1990 which was used only for family use in the past, but I have contacts/friends who can assist me with things like key handover, cleaning etc should I not be there to do it myself for whatever reason.

I still plan to work, albeit possibly not as much as I do now, and so long as I have an internet connection, a laptop and a few bits of software, I can work anywhere in the world I choose to, and that includes from the back of a boat or even inside a pub ;)

I will have enough money as back up for several years without lifting a finger, so doing a little bit of work (or a lot depending how I feel), along with renting the apartment during the summer months seems to be the best way of generating a reasonable income in order that the pile of money goes up, rather than down.

I've had other ideas on how to make money, contract cleaning for ex pat bars and cafes being one of them, employing casual workers during the summer months - Lord knows, many of the ones I have visited over the years could benefit from a good clean ;)

I think there are plenty of ways to make a living in the Med, but the OP's way just doesn't seem to be the best one I have ever come across

Sybarite

Visit site
Hi everyone I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice please.
I am 58 years old with very little sailing experience, together with my son who is 36 we will be taking our competent sailing course in June of this year, together with our v.h.f radio course and hope to take our day skippers course by the end of this year. We are planning to by a boat around April / may next year and spend next season sailing and learning as much as we can, if all goes well we could maybe take our coastal skippers course as well. We would like to spend 2019 in the med leaving the u.k April / may. The budget for the boat will be about 50k. We will have a healthy budget to go with about 12k but I am aware that any amount of money will run out sooner or later if there is nothing coming in.
What I would like to know is, does anyone think that if we obtain the right licenses would we be able to make a modest amount of money taking people out snorkelling, dolphin watching, or just a days sailing.
We would do this discreetly so as not to upset anyone and if it paid our marina fees that would be great
If you think we are nuts please tell me, you are probably the best people to ask thanks.

The way to make a small fortune in a boating activity - is to start with a large one.

Fluvial66

Visit site
The way to make a small fortune in a boating activity - is to start with a large one.

We bought a boat for 50 thousand, and after 3 years sailing in the UK have spent the
past 2 seasons moving it down to the Mediterranean.
Two observations - UK to the Med is a long, long passage with constant exposure to
Biscay and the Atlantic. I would not wish to do that journey on an annual basis.
Secondly, I am now on the Costa del Sol moving slowly eastwrds.
Every marina with any form of tourism has the locals fully occupied offering charters,
tours, dolphin watching etc etc. They are professional outfits and it takes little
imagination to appreciate their total lack of enthusiasm should a foreigner try and
muscle in on their turf.
These are small marinas / harbours and they would quickly become aware of your
activities.
On an annual basis I save 5 thousand over winter for summers on the boat for 2
of us. I also add another 1800 a month for cruising costs. I would not like to try and
earn this money on a local basis.

Denek

Visit site
Hi fluvial.
We are planing to take a boat( yet to be purchased ) down to the med over a couple of seasons and would welcome any insight and advice on this. Sorry did not mean you hijack this thread but if you have done this then I am sure we could learn from you.

Fluvial66

Visit site
Hi fluvial.
We are planing to take a boat( yet to be purchased ) down to the med over a couple of seasons and would welcome any insight and advice on this. Sorry did not mean you hijack this thread but if you have done this then I am sure we could learn from you.

Speaking purely from personal experience, I do feel that crewing on a couple of
yacht deliveries first pays dividends !
I did a 2 week trip, Lagos to Dartmouth in foul weather, then a 3 week trip, Gibralter
to Falmouth in fine weather. They gave me much needed experince in long passages
and the confidence to have a go in my own boat.
We did mainly day sailing, following the coastline and have taken 2 seasons to go from
Dartmouth to Mediterranean Spain.
Night passages across the channel, Biscay (La Rochelle to Santander), and a 120 nm trip
from Lisbon to Lagos to avoid being harbour bound for a week with strong winds.
In essence you need Fuel, Water, Food and Time, lots and lots of time to sit out the
bad weather. Trying to rush things is when mistakes happen.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, found it very challenging and plan
to continue slowely eastwards across the Med on a summer basis.
One thing I hadn,t expected, living 4 months on the boat each summer results in more
time for cleaning / maintenance. She is in much better fettle now than when I started,
and certainly prefers the drier, warmer weather.
The old saying, the hardest part is leaving your marina in the first instance is certainly
true !