Place your bets, how long to take up

Capt Popeye

Visit site
He has just bought a scuba set :encouragement:

Oh dear, can I dare ask? is he intending to sleep in the scuba set?

Anyways, hope that the intention, or grand plan, is to allow the boat to settle lower in the water than the water line so as to encourage the planking above the water line to so take up; not much point that I can see in using pumps to keep the outside water level only up to the boats water line. Will be pumping quite a while otherwise and the boat could be in trouble if she heels a bit on taking ground, putting dry planks below water level.
Oh well lets all hope that he lets us all in on progress so far, a bit of a cliff hanger here :)

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Well, I'm in, launched at 9.30 this morning.

Lots of water ingress initially (as expected) but with both bilge pumps going she was fine. Ingress has slowed considerably but the deeper pump is still running a lot. Sleeping aboard to keep an eye on progress so I'm hoping the pump will be quieter in the morning.

Feeling pleased and relieved.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
All looking pretty good, there is one seam that is still letting in water but the pumps are keeping the water level down and she is on shorepower.

I'm hoping that seam will close up in time but if not I can dry out for a tide and sort it.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
it was mentioned that I could try sprinkling sawdust on the water at launch as it would be drawn into the gaps and swell - is that what you are suggesting?

I suppose I could take a handful of sawdust and try to release under water it in the area of the leak?

Hi, yes never had to use the 'sawdust' method myself, but as I understand it the 'sawdust' is sprinkled in /on the water inside hull and the boat beached /hauled out and as the water inside leaks out through the seams the 'sawdust' is taken into the leaking seams so sealing them, of sorts, the water left trapped inside the hull keeps the timbers wet as so the timbers take up :)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
it was mentioned that I could try sprinkling sawdust on the water at launch as it would be drawn into the gaps and swell - is that what you are suggesting?

I suppose I could take a handful of sawdust and try to release under water it in the area of the leak?

When my Dad's first boat had similar problems (clinker-built ex-lifeboat), we used a sack of sawdust pushed down with a boat-hook outside where the water was coming in. It worked, but you need plenty of sawdust - a sack full, not a handful.

Caveat - I was about 9 or 10 at the time, so my memory may not be absolutely correct!

I wonder if you could spread canvas outside over the leak, then introduce sawdust between the canvas and the hull?

scottie

Visit site
Sorry just seen this post.

We used to spray the hull with water about 24 hours before launching.

New owner knew better but was asking for his money back when he Ist launched.
Again memories for 1950 and the boat was about 80 years old then.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Ahoy there

Just to clarify the 'saw dust' procedure somewhat.

The aim is to get the water borne sawdust to float into any gaps in the planking so providing a seal against water entering the hull when the hull is launched into the river.

So if the hull is launched and water is coming in through any gaps in planking, spread some sawdust into the boat near water water is coming in, the sawdust floats in the water inside the boat; then haul out or beach the boat near high water time and allow the water inside boat hull to drain out through any gaps in planking as the tide recedes. As this water drains out the idea is that the water borne sawdust will be drawn into the gaps in the planking by the movement of the water draining out. The sawdust then is squiggled into the planking gaps.
Pump out any remaining water, await the tide to float her again, and the sawdust should afford a seal against water coming in again. :)

cliffordpope

Visit site

You tie a pan to a long pole, fill it with sawdust, and quickly invert it in the water so that the dust floats, ie it stays inside the pan.
Then push the pan down under the leaking plank and invert it, so releasing the sawdust.

It needs to be really fine dust, as from a dust extractor bag.

So I have been told. I've always wondered what happens to the dust and the nails when the plank does expand, because now the dust will be trapped in the seam.
I'd have thought something squishy, like soap or tar, applied before launching, would be better. Or, as I said, bitumastic paint.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Just to report back to those that posted...

She will have been launched a week tomorrow and is still taking up, I have been measuring the time between pumpings on the auto-bolge pump. It is slowly getting longer even comparing yesterday to today.

I'm guessing it must be 80-90% there now.

On the whole the planking has firmed up nicely there is one more serious leak around a bilge stub that may need the roves hardened up but in the short term I will dry out for a tide and run a bead of mastic on the outside of the land to help things along and give the pump a rest.

On balance I'm really pleased with how she has taken up.

thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
:0

Great news indeed, perseverance does pay off :)

Just, suggest that you make sure that a few planks above the water line are taking up, or treated, otherwise if she leans over when drying out she just might take on water expectantly.