Pilot recommendations for the Ionian and Greece & Charts too

Marsupial

Visit site
I Agree, my test of any pilot book is to study what it tells me about a place I know very well - most don't pass muster, but in Greece the Admiral is the best so far but by no means a bible.

GTom

Visit site
Which electrinic chart is recommended nowadays? Navionics has a quite good deal for the entire Med.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Which electrinic chart is recommended nowadays? Navionics has a quite good deal for the entire Med.

I use Navionics on the plotter and have the HD version on a tablet. Quite OK but the cartography for Greece is far from total, so in some places they guess! Shallows often shown where they do not exist, fortunately very few instances of the opposite, although there are a few 'uncharted' rocks.

NOHOH

Visit site
The Italian 777 pilots are very good......and they are in the process of translating them into English. The Sicily/Malta pilot in english is due to be published any day now......and volumes covering the Greek Ionian........and Greek Aegean will follow in due course....but if you understand Italian....you don`t have to wait

GTom

Visit site
I use Navionics on the plotter and have the HD version on a tablet. Quite OK but the cartography for Greece is far from total, so in some places they guess! Shallows often shown where they do not exist, fortunately very few instances of the opposite, although there are a few 'uncharted' rocks.

Thanks! I'll definitely fetch the HD app, not sure about the plotter, I might want to replace the whole thing (10+years old now...).

Yngmar

Visit site

Navionics on a phone/tablet is pretty good and excellent value. Had one spot where the soundings were way off, otherwise good, and the now integrated ActiveCaptain comments are useful. We also use Navily for reviews of anchorages/harbours.

The C-Map charts are ignoring entire areas where yachts would like to go but ships do not, so the detail in many popular cruising areas is far too low to be useful. Same for their attempt at competing with Navionics on a phone, called Embark (plus their app is pretty wobbly so far). I hope they keep improving though, as monopolies are not good for us.

Then we have the standard Rod Heikell Greek Waters Pilot book, which does the job, at least when used together with the above tools.