pilot book

tcm

Visit site
Re: livre de bord

It's ever so tempting to try and become fully prepared for everything before you depart. However, almost everything on the continent is better and cheaper. The same applies to their almanacs/pilot books. Buy a "Livre de Bord" for 20 euros upon arrival in France - plenty of sections for brits. Can you imagine Mr Heinkells books having any french innem? Or telephone numbers that were correct? The "livre be bord" is twice as good for half the price. Oh, and its mandatory for all french-reg boats over a certain size to have one on board - so this is always for sale everywhere. Yes, covers france as well as lots of the western med, and the channel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chrisc

Visit site
For French canals there are two excellent alternatives. One is Guide Vagnon, it is written in French, English, German and Dutch, has all the info you need about the canal, moorings, some restuarants and local info. It is issued on 7 or 8 sections and you buy the part you want to use. The other one is very similar, think it is issued by Navicarte.
For you initial routeplanning Practical Boat Owner did a few years ago publish an overview map of France, Holland and Belgium which is a good initial reference when deciding on route. Contact them for a copy.
Enjoy the canals, they are great!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site

I've bought mine, here in Barca, now I can see why you are so enthused about it, excellent publication, I wont be without one again. Thanks Matt!

<hr width=100% size=1>

saskia

Visit site
The Navicarte guides are good so far as charts go, but tend to be out of date regarding facilities. Many times promised luxuries like showers, water, electricity - even restaurants - just are not there. Try the recently issued new edition of David Edwards-May's Inland Waterways of France, published by Imray. Very detailed and much more up to date.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site

Sorry not to be precise and clear, but I meant where in Barcelona.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>