Picking up casual work whilst cruising

capnsensible

Visit site
Since leaving the UK on our yacht in 1999, Ive generally worked in the sailing business apart from a couple of Caribbean cruises. Deliveries and sailing schools are a good source. But, a big but, is that you really should keep it legal. Having the correct commercial licence makes you employable, or by conforming to local regulations, it is entirely possible to start and run your own business in lots of european destinations.

As mentioned by others, be ultra careful not to tread on the toes of locals!

Also beware of nasty internet trolls. :rolleyes:

capnsensible

Visit site
Have met people earning a bit of pin money doing sailmaker stuff, hairdressing, bit of electrics, some bar work and receptionist at a doctors surgery! Some of it was a bit on the black side. Not recommended.

Kelpie

Visit site
Ach well, not the answer I was ideally hoping for but never mind! I don't want to go down the bar, waiting, etc route because I think that anything that goes outside the cruising community is a no-no.

I've done a little transcription work before, so this could be a good fit, subject to decent and affordable internet. And I may well try a bit of busking, for a laugh, when SWMBO boots me off the boat. Plus some delivery work if it suits.

All of this would be entirely supplementary, since we aren't going anywhere until we are in a position where we can rely on some income from the house.

Heckler

Visit site
Have met people earning a bit of pin money doing sailmaker stuff, hairdressing, bit of electrics, some bar work and receptionist at a doctors surgery! Some of it was a bit on the black side. Not recommended.

And of course there is the Delos and La Vaga model! Barry Perrins, who I like to think is much like some of is on here is slowly picking up Patrons!
Stu

Mee

N/A
Visit site
I've done a little transcription work before, so this could be a good fit, subject to decent and affordable internet
You don't need particularly reliable internet for transcription work, you ony need a basic connection, and most countries now offer PAYG data plans cheaply - and you will probably be buying a SIM card anyway. Also, most marinas, bars, cafes, McDonalds etc offer free wi-fi now. The days of internet cafes paying through the nose are long gone. You don't even need the connection for when you are actually doing the transcription, you could be anchored offshore somewhere working, and then upload it as and when you get a connection

It really boils down to how much money you will need to make to survive - if you are travelling from place to place, you'll probably end up spending more time looking for work than actually doing any work - if you can get a regular bit of low paid transcription work from upwork.com or freelancer.com for example, this in my eyes is preferable to door knocking at every port of call - plus you are free to do as much or as little of it as you want, at your own pace

Carmel2

Visit site
You don't need particularly reliable internet for transcription work, you ony need a basic connection, and most countries now offer PAYG data plans cheaply - and you will probably be buying a SIM card anyway. Also, most marinas, bars, cafes, McDonalds etc offer free wi-fi now. The days of internet cafes paying through the nose are long gone. You don't even need the connection for when you are actually doing the transcription, you could be anchored offshore somewhere working, and then upload it as and when you get a connection

It really boils down to how much money you will need to make to survive - if you are travelling from place to place, you'll probably end up spending more time looking for work than actually doing any work - if you can get a regular bit of low paid transcription work from upwork.com or freelancer.com for example, this in my eyes is preferable to door knocking at every port of call - plus you are free to do as much or as little of it as you want, at your own pace

Do be careful with theses sites as they charge you a rather high commission rate.

From upwork's T&C's

10.2 CLIENT BILL RATE; PAYROLL EMPLOYEE PAY RATE

The total amount the Client pays is the “Bill Rate”, which includes the Payroll Employee’s hourly rate or salary amount (the “Pay Rate”) as well as Upwork fees. The Client will pay Upwork’s service fees for the use of the platform and the use of Upwork Payroll (collectively, the “Payroll Service Fees”). The Payroll Service Fees are 23% of the Bill Rate. For example, if the Client Bill Rate is $25.00 per hour, the Payroll Employee’s Pay Rate would be $19.25. All fees are paid by the Client, and there are no Upwork fees paid by Freelancers for engagements using Upwork Payroll.

And from freelancer.

Services

If you are subsequently hired to perform that Service, a 20% fee of the total service price is charged. This is charged when the service is ordered by way of a deduction from the payment you receive.

Last edited: