Perros Guirec marina, lock doors left open

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
It's in Mali Losinj island, northern Croatia, a tiny channel to go "across" the island.

If this works..
Mali Losinj · Croatia
Thanks very much; I thought it looked familiar. But I have been on trips based on Pula for N Croatia but also Zadar/Sukosan which is nearer to where searching for "Privlaka" took me; very confusing!

I'm sure we hung around with a mass of other yachts waiting our turn to go through. But I cannot remember if that was for the one way system to switch round or for the flow to abate; or both!

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
We've visited PG maybe half a dozen times in the last 10 years and on two of the occassions the gate (not a lock) was closed during published opening hours. No response from the Tel. No. in Reeds either. Seemed a bit of haphazard outfit on the whole.

doris

Visit site
From memory doesn't St Vaast have a cill which stops the the marina emptying completely?
The gate at St Vaast closes with about 2.2 meters of water above the sill ( don't ask how I know) so should it not close the level in the marina would drop by that amount. I have no idea how much water there is to spare under the pontoon berths but it might surprise some of the fishing boats against the wall!

rwoofer

Visit site
Our boat was 12' 9" and I don't remember it being close - I read that the gates are 19' wide. The gates I do remember as interesting were at St Katharine's Dock, but it was the cross tide that was the scary bit.
Agree. I went through in our Moody 44 at 4.17 metres beam (13ft 8 in) about 20 odd years ago. Never even noticed it was tight, possibly because I was more worried by depth under the keel (draft 2.01m) over the sill!

madabouttheboat

Visit site
It’s certainly something else for me to think about in my decision on where to keep my boat; Le Havre (all tide) or Port Deauville (locked in - accessible about 16hrs/24). TBH, I’d already pretty much made my mind up to go with Le Havre for a variety of reasons…..

My boat grounded on a mooring in Le Havre a few years ago during lws. Not sure if it’s been dredged since but something to be aware of.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Agree. I went through in our Moody 44 at 4.17 metres beam (13ft 8 in) about 20 odd years ago. Never even noticed it was tight, possibly because I was more worried by depth under the keel (draft 2.01m) over the sill!
I should think that the colourful scrapes on, not to mention the deep gouges, in the the concrete gate walls tell another story.

If there is any current in the gate and you are not dead centre, the hydrodynamic effect will invariably suck you against the wall.

It might also explain why at slack water there are not many standing by the gate watching, whereas when the tide's in a bit of a spate, you may notice, if you dare to look while passing, quite the lively audience in caps and Gauloises looking down on you.

st599

Visit site
The gate at St Vaast closes with about 2.2 meters of water above the sill ( don't ask how I know) so should it not close the level in the marina would drop by that amount. I have no idea how much water there is to spare under the pontoon berths but it might surprise some of the fishing boats against the wall!

Having been in there in a 2.1m draft boat on springs when the fishing boats wanted to leave 30 mins early, the gates opened with only 2m above the cill. We went hard aground.