Perros Guirec marina, lock doors left open

PeterWright

Visit site
I think that will depend on whether they can deflect a charge of negligence (over not having some safety precautions)...
That really depends on the nature of the safety precautions concerned. If they involve additional administrative controls, they will be of very limited value. In the real world, admin controls such as independent checking that the safety action has been taken provide very little reduction in frequency of failure. If the additional precautions include a well engineered automatic protection there is a good chance of reducing the risk, but then it will be of a different design from the marina that suffered the accident.

Of course, depending on the policy wording, the insurer may avoid paying out this time.

Whatever, I imagine there will be substantial claims against the marina from yacht owners and I cannot imagine that the marina will not seek to recover this cost from their insurer. Whether that claim is paid or not, every other insurer who covers marinas will take a close look at whether they are exposed to similar risks resulting in either increased premiums or clearer policy wording excluding this risk.

Peter.

dslittle

Visit site
It’s certainly something else for me to think about in my decision on where to keep my boat; Le Havre (all tide) or Port Deauville (locked in - accessible about 16hrs/24). TBH, I’d already pretty much made my mind up to go with Le Havre for a variety of reasons…..

If you are going to worry about that happening again, I’m afraid that quite a lot of Brittany will not appeal to you for cruising…

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
However substantial the insurance claims, they’ll be way less than they would have been without the timely intervention of Titouan Galle. It might be appropriate for the marina owners and insurers to get together to make him a gesture such as free berthing.
Always assuming that he still has a functioning boat, else that might be a tad ironic!

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Back in 2004 Le Havre looked like a dump, as I stopped over for a couple of days in lousy weather, on my way past. However, as I have revisited a number of times since, there has been a move to improve. The flats - or should i say concrete jungle- behind the marina has been changed. The club is quite good & if one walks along the sea front there is some bits of interest. Travelling SW there are some scupltures built with containers that I want to look at again. I think the tourist board have been at work with some degree of success. Now I have a decent electric bike I intend to stop for a few days & make an effort to explore, not only Le Havre, but the surrounding areas.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Back in 2004 Le Havre looked like a dump, as I stopped over for a couple of days in lousy weather, on my way past. However, as I have revisited a number of times since, there has been a move to improve. The flats - or should i say concrete jungle- behind the marina has been changed. The club is quite good & if one walks along the sea front there is some bits of interest. Travelling SW there are some scupltures built with containers that I want to look at again. I think the tourist board have been at work with some degree of success. Now I have a decent electric bike I intend to stop for a few days & make an effort to explore, not only Le Havre, but the surrounding areas.

I agree with your remarks. Le Havre has greatly improved over the last 20 years.

Edouard Philippe (who was Prime minister from 2017 to 2020), is the Mayor, and is generally considered to have done a huge amount for the City.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I think it would be a good time Perros addressed the question of it's Gate.
I don't know if anyone else here has been trough it on a falling or rising tide? The gate is rather narrow and as the water rushes through with a good 3-4kts, the prospect elicits a white knuckle death grip on the helm, for even the slightest deviation from dead centre will suck you invariably into its concrete walls.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I think it would be a good time Perros addressed the question of it's Gate.
I don't know if anyone else here has been trough it on a falling or rising tide? The gate is rather narrow and as the water rushes through with a good 3-4kts, the prospect elicits a white knuckle death grip on the helm, for even the slightest deviation from dead centre will suck you invariably into its concrete walls.
Anyone know how old that gate is? It's over thirty years since I went there and I really don't remember it being that narrow? (Probably a silly question, they're hardly likely to have made it smaller, so being a yoof I probably thought six inches each side was plenty...).

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I think it would be a good time Perros addressed the question of its Gate.
I don't know if anyone else here has been through it on a falling or rising tide? The gate is rather narrow and as the water rushes through with a good 3-4kts, the prospect elicits a white knuckle death grip on the helm, for even the slightest deviation from dead centre will suck you invariably into its concrete walls.
That was my reaction to the picture in post #6 post-7879091

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Anyone know how old that gate is? It's over thirty years since I went there and I really don't remember it being that narrow? (Probably a silly question, they're hardly likely to have made it smaller, so being a yoof I probably thought six inches each side was plenty...).
I'm not sure, but at 11' I had to practically resuscitate my Brother who, perhaps reckless on my part, was at the helm.
Leaving, I took the wheel, but, once committed, you have near enough controll over the event as being flushed down the toilet.

Arcady

Visit site
Oh yes, definitely a fun ride! 3 to 4 kn of flood tide together with 3 to 4 kn speed through the water just to maintain steerage way, and the resultant 8 kn passage through with inches to spare either side is definitely a buttock-clenching moment!!! (13’8” beam + skinny fenders).

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
I got towed through it a couple of years back when I had a rope around the prop. Went through at about 3 knots to keep steerage way. Fendered both sides, Wifey on the helm , and me ready to fend off if needed. our beam is 3.6 metres. :)

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I'm only 27ft long, but at 13'6" wide, plus the fenders, I should probably give it a miss, especially if I'm running a bit late :eek:
Our boat was 12' 9" and I don't remember it being close - I read that the gates are 19' wide. The gates I do remember as interesting were at St Katharine's Dock, but it was the cross tide that was the scary bit.