Peeing sitting down

maxi77

Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. Go to your GP and ask for a PSA blood test, no fingers up the bum required. :eek:

On the other hand if that is what you want, phone 09000 GSPOT :)

[Later] By the way, if you put your feet on a small platform, or just sit with your feet on tiptoes, it increases the flow from both orifices.

The PSA test is just for prostate cancer which they say I do not have, and as I understand it the PSA test will not show up an enlarged prostate which does give one certain peeing problems but for many can be treated with drugs.

If you dribble go and see the quack, my peeing is not as bad as it was but I will never win a pissing against the wall contest now.

It does however amaze me that people with no medical qualifications give advice on medical problems that fly in the face of medical advice, but that is life on the internet.

ps I have been at sea in one or other way for over 40 years and can pee standing up into the bowl pretty consistantly, and if I do miss clear up after myself. The problem is not missing it is clearing up and a pisser than fails to do this is no better than the person who does a number 2 and fails to use the brush provided to remove the evidence. It is just a personal hygene thing.

little_roundtop

tntatsea.wordpress.com
There are several symptoms of an enlarged prostate but one of them is dribbling. This is often made worse by peeing sitting down. If this is a problem for you (it was for me until I came across this technique some years ago) then take a look at this.

johnphilip

Visit site
Wrong Brand

Some ( most ??) laundry product bottles do not have a wide enough top.
Try before you buy.

Sainbury's Super Concentrate biological liquid bottles have an adequately wide top.
( I now keep one in the car :mad: )
Surely Comfort would be more appropriate?

maxi77

Visit site
Relying on the PSA test is apparently not wholly satisfactory.

Read this article (it may be slow to load)

I think the suggestion was not that the PSA test was at fault rather that it was just an indicator to show further testing was required before starting treatment, which may cause more harm than good. First you need to know there is cancer, then what kind. I think you will find in the UK that the PSA test is purely used for screening and is only taken as an indicator that further exploration is needed.

maby

Visit site
I think the suggestion was not that the PSA test was at fault rather that it was just an indicator to show further testing was required before starting treatment, which may cause more harm than good. First you need to know there is cancer, then what kind. I think you will find in the UK that the PSA test is purely used for screening and is only taken as an indicator that further exploration is needed.

Indeed - I had prostatitis some years ago and my PSA went up. It's just an indication that further investigation is necessary.

FergusM

Visit site
Women often seem to have this fixation about making men sit down to urinate. I can't help feeling that there is an underlying agenda here. Interesting that PBO is now run by women, and has started on about this. As others have said, kneeling is more effective if you have to use the "equipment provided". Otherwise a bottle/bucket (like the bed bottle I mentioned earlier or a detergent container etc.) is ideal.

I had an operation for an enlarged prostate (not cancer, thank God) in my mid-fifties. It really is worth having a check up. Cancer can be terminal, and an enlarged prostate a real nuisance, so do go and see your GP. Early intervention is always best.

Billjratt

Visit site
It's different for everybody.
Kneeling isn't an option on my boat, sitting is awkward and is avoided unless naturally required.
Emptying the personal "S"-bend has to be done standing up, and invites dribbles during the transition from sitting to standing.
The fact that I don't have room to kneel invites the possibility to wedge securely while standing, and there is a hook to keep the seat and lid up out of the way on Stb'd tack, so it's a no-brainer.
Fine spray is a problem, and knees slightly bent helps a bit, so does a wipe-round with toilet tissue which then joins the flush.
Clothes (salopettes) are not an issue with a motor-sailer but they would be my final argument to endorse 'homo pissus erectus'
I submit this to the house....

bbg

Visit site
I heard that the RNLI called these casualties LIFO (Lifejacket Inflated, Flies Open)

Several years ago someone said the the USCG had that acronym. I actually contacted them to see if it was true. Apparently not. I'll see if I can find the impressively prompt email that I received to my enquiry.

My solution (offshore solo) when I needed to pee (when I was in the cabin) was to stand up. In the companionway. And pee into the cockpit. If I was already in the cockpit, kneel near the stern and try to get most of it overboard. But then I had enough water coming into the cockpit that anything washed away very quickly.

bbg

Visit site
I heard that the RNLI called these casualties LIFO (Lifejacket Inflated, Flies Open)

Maybe the RNLI uses the acronym, but the USCG apparently doesn't use a similar one:

My email exchange with USCG, with addresses edited. I was impressed that they answered within 9 hours.

Dear Commander Stilleke,
Thank you for your prompt and informative reply.
Regards,
bbg

"Stilleke, Steven CDR" <email address@uscg.mil>
Sent by: address@uscg.mil
03.10.2007 20:08
To
bbg
cc
Subject
RE: Coast Guard Web Mail: Acronym FDFO
Mr. bbg,
The Coast Guard does NOT use such an acronym. Although we do know that people
have fallen overboard in this manner, it is not something on which we keep
statistics.
Regard,
Commander Steven Stilleke
U.S. Coast Guard
Office of Search & Rescue
Washington, DC
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 1:24 AM
To: Stilleke, Steven CDR
Subject: Coast Guard Web Mail: Acronym FDFO
Category: Search and Rescue
Subject: Coast Guard Web Mail: Acronym FDFO
There is a rumor in the boating community that the USCG uses the acronym FDFO
for boaters who are "Found Drowned, Fly Open". Used for people who drowned
after falling off their boats while urinating.
I have two questions:
First, does the USCG use this acronym
Second, how many people are found or assumed to have drowned for this reason?
Thanks and regards,
bbg

MM5AHO

Visit site
I have a cut down plastic milk bottle. (1 litre type, square cross section about 20cm high?). Cut it with scissors so as to not leave sharp bits! Cut away part of the top and side leaving the handle intact, making the hole big enough for your own needs.
Advantages include: deep enough to not get splash back; Covered in enough to use in rough weather; sufficient volume for even a big pee; easily obtainable replacements; low cost; disposable (as if an empty milk bottle - which it is); translucent so that contents can be seen; doesn't break - so it can bounce about the cockpit if needed.

Using the jabsco I kneel. There's just space and aim is far better at point blank than standing. Getting out of oilies to pee is too much work. There are handles behind the loo, but holding them while standing means steadying the upper body, while feet on the ground fixes the lower legs, this leaves the heaviest part (torso, hips) to swing about between these two fixed points. That results in erratic aim.
All of this is modified by circumcision or not. Typically circumcised males have better aim, with a tighter flow stream. Having a sprinkler nozzle on the end doesn't help.

Laurie

Visit site
I have a cut down plastic milk bottle. (1 litre type, square cross section about 20cm high?). Cut it with scissors so as to not leave sharp bits! Cut away part of the top and side leaving the handle intact, making the hole big enough for your own needs.
Advantages include: deep enough to not get splash back; Covered in enough to use in rough weather; sufficient volume for even a big pee; easily obtainable replacements; low cost; disposable (as if an empty milk bottle - which it is); translucent so that contents can be seen; doesn't break - so it can bounce about the cockpit if needed.

Using the jabsco I kneel. There's just space and aim is far better at point blank than standing. Getting out of oilies to pee is too much work. There are handles behind the loo, but holding them while standing means steadying the upper body, while feet on the ground fixes the lower legs, this leaves the heaviest part (torso, hips) to swing about between these two fixed points. That results in erratic aim.
All of this is modified by circumcision or not. Typically circumcised males have better aim, with a tighter flow stream. Having a sprinkler nozzle on the end doesn't help.

If the sprinkler can't be withdrawn, please go and see your GP, too?

I think it's great that men are openly discussing this, curious that it has taken this forum to do it:confused:

Frankie-H

Visit site
I often do this, but it's annoying when your todger dangles in the water.

I supose you can tell how deep the water is too.:D

The answer to the prostate problem is to gently massage your abdomen and ease the rest of the urine down. I have had this problem for several years and discovered the massage for myself. This has also been confirmed by my doctor.

It also works when you are standing or kneeling as long as you have the feeling that you still need to pee.

Last edited: