Paying upfront - what is reasonable?

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
If its custom work 50% down payment is justified. He is investing in materials and time to produce the goods. If he didn't take a down payment, the risk is all his. He may have had a similar experience to you, and not been paid. He won't find it easy to resell the custom parts.

I would rather do business with small companies, they survive by their reputation and generally provide very good workmanship.

If I were you, I would ask him to agree a delivery date, if he fails to deliver then the small claims court service is very cheap and very quick.

He certainly would not a county court judgement against his business.

Wow the guy has not done any work yet, not even had an order and your're suggesting sueing him, are you an American?

Bassplayer

Visit site
As someone who has run a business for 35+ years I cannot understand why many small businesses don't take cards.
It costs £15+vat per month plus around 1.5% for c/cards and 30p for debit.
Not a lot to get paid quickly and not have cheques bounce etc. And give your customers some reassurance.
So many businesses complain about outstanding debt, yet don't take cards - it's a no-brainer.
I think the OP did the right thing. His supplier needs to re think his mo

Plevier

Visit site
As someone who has run a business for 35+ years I cannot understand why many small businesses don't take cards.
Not a lot to get paid quickly and not have cheques bounce etc. And give your customers some reassurance.
So many businesses complain about outstanding debt, yet don't take cards - it's a no-brainer.

If it's a retail business, of course; but a metal fabricator's business is likely to be almost all trade account. How many of those will pay by card? Probably none.

Blue5

Visit site

Because for a SMALL BUSINESS it is not worth it. I bet you would not do 1/2 dozen transactions a year.

I have never been asked if I accept cards and nowadays all my customers pay with bank transfers and occasionally cheques

Anwen

Visit site
Because for a SMALL BUSINESS it is not worth it. I bet you would not do 1/2 dozen transactions a year.

I have never been asked if I accept cards and nowadays all my customers pay with bank transfers and occasionally cheques

I had a very good rigger do some work on my boat a couple of years ago, and to my surprise and delight, he took credit cards. With a 3G chip and PIN card machine, he could take my money there and then on the boat. Excellent all round - he gets his money right away, and I have the payment protection should there be a subsequent problem.

I quite agree with the posters who have advocated small businesses accepting credit cards. People are generally more comfortable paying by card, and for the business, it can help with timely payment. Small businesses which don't move with the times will lose out to those who do.

claudio

Visit site
Wow the guy has not done any work yet, not even had an order and your're suggesting sueing him, are you an American?

If you re-read the post, the OP was worried that he would not get his goods, he was asking how he could protect his deposit, and recover it if something went wrong.
I gave him a plain and clear option that he could take if that eventuality occurred.

No, I am not an American, I empathize with the supplier who was requesting a 50% deposit, which is common practice for custom work.

For such a small order, the risk is minimal, I would not have made any fuss about it at all, so NO, I was not suggesting suing him at all!:eek:

claudio

Visit site
I am sure that the supplier has been in business for some years. He has probably come across tyre kickers, time wasters, non-payers, spec shifters and nit pickers.

The 50% deposit is an effective way of filtering out these people as they eat all the profits and make demands long after the work has been completed.

Accepting a credit card in this instance is like being on the receiving end of a whipping stick, some people are never satisfied.

Simple dialogue to save trouble in future

Q. Do you accept credit cards
A. No

"Bye, I won't waste your time then"

Blue5

Visit site
I had a very good rigger do some work on my boat a couple of years ago, and to my surprise and delight, he took credit cards. With a 3G chip and PIN card machine, he could take my money there and then on the boat. Excellent all round - he gets his money right away, and I have the payment protection should there be a subsequent problem.

I quite agree with the posters who have advocated small businesses accepting credit cards. People are generally more comfortable paying by card, and for the business, it can help with timely payment. Small businesses which don't move with the times will lose out to those who do.

So if the rigger had not accepted credit cards would you have not given him the order?

Anwen

Visit site
So if the rigger had not accepted credit cards would you have not given him the order?

It wasn't a factor in the decision making process - just finding a rigger in South Wales is hard enough, and there was no material procurement involved. I needed him to install a radome and run the cable for me. However, as I said before, this is my preferred method of payment.

Given the OP's experience in the past, I can quite understand why they would have been reluctant to stump up 50% without any security. I don't think he has been unreasonable. Ultimately, it is the small business which has lost out here.

sailorman

Visit site
It wasn't a factor in the decision making process - just finding a rigger in South Wales is hard enough, and there was no material procurement involved. I needed him to install a radome and run the cable for me. However, as I said before, this is my preferred method of payment.

Given the OP's experience in the past, I can quite understand why they would have been reluctant to stump up 50% without any security. I don't think he has been unreasonable. Ultimately, it is the small business which has lost out here.

50% of a 1/3 of £400
Is no money only the cost to fill his car up 1 1/2 times

claudio

Visit site

Not necessarily so, the original supplier may be the best in the business and the OP has gone to the equivalent of Marine Megastore. They accept credit cards don't they ?

:D

Bassplayer

Visit site

And what do you do when the cheque(s) bounce?
Since my accident and 2+ years off work my t/over has dropped to below the vat limit and some. Still take cards though. Couldn't survive without.
Costs? Checkout how much the banks charge for cheques and paying in cash...

prv

Visit site

Sounds like it isn't really, as it's of American origin where they don't have chip & pin and are still swiping bits of audiotape and signing paperwork. So the device and software can't accept and verify the PIN and has to use other methods instead, which in the case of Visa at least seem to be rather complex and onerous.

Pete