Paxos - Washed up yachts??

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Then I spend at least one or two weekends every month out of the season on my boat that is located now near Šibenik (Croatia).

I'm in Marina Kremik (Primosten) but this year we decided to head North rather than South to Greece but had rudder problems so had to turn around in Skradin and go back to Kremik for a lift-out. In the end we only got as far as Rab which was lovely.

Richard

Monique

Visit site
I found a method which works towards removing close proximity anchorers.

I stand in the cockpit watching the evolution with concern... if the process continues, I scowl and shake my head in disapproval. If the offender does not take the hint, I set my fenders and wait. If by pure bad luck my message is not understood, I pull out my big new digital TTL camera and take photos...

Works well, esp when they realize their insurance company would not be pleased.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

Ah yes ... the insurance company. It reminds me of when we were kids and my Dad used to tell us that there was a bogey-man who lived in the linen cupboard in the corner of our bedroom. If we weren't good boys the bogey-man would come out in the night and get us!

It never did the three of us any harm (!) although we still call that cupboard the "bogey hole" which now causes much puzzlement when said in front of wives and offspring! :)

Richard

RupertW

Visit site
I found a method which works towards removing close proximity anchorers.

I stand in the cockpit watching the evolution with concern... if the process continues, I scowl and shake my head in disapproval. If the offender does not take the hint, I set my fenders and wait. If by pure bad luck my message is not understood, I pull out my big new digital TTL camera and take photos...

I think we would get on - I do something similar and put my fenders out as soon as I come into the anchorage assuming I will end up far too close to another boat so avoiding any damage. If I'm not too close when I anchor I can be sure that somebody after me (and a few more) will fill in the gaps around me. So, like you, it's a questions of expecting the odd nudge and preparing for it.

reginaldon

Visit site
Ah, if only they had been English! Then they would have re-acnhored perfectly and in orderly manner and everyone could have had a nice cup of tea.
From what I've been reading in this forum recently, it is not just diplomacy that is an alternative form of war (by words) but so is sailing (by anchor). Lighten up! If you're like this on your boats, God help us if we ever meet you on a congested road!
We used to have regular posts from Croatians and Italians but they seem to have buzzed off, because what we are seeing is no longer banter but xenophobia (that's from the Greek; like many great British things, the English language is all the richer for its imports!).

With you man!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ah, if only they had been English! Then they would have re-acnhored perfectly and in orderly manner and everyone could have had a nice cup of tea.
From what I've been reading in this forum recently, it is not just diplomacy that is an alternative form of war (by words) but so is sailing (by anchor). Lighten up! If you're like this on your boats, God help us if we ever meet you on a congested road!
We used to have regular posts from Croatians and Italians but they seem to have buzzed off, because what we are seeing is no longer banter but xenophobia (that's from the Greek; like many great British things, the English language is all the richer for its imports!).
Yes , have to say I too at times I feel that people on the forum go too far,
But you also have to remember some here do talk out of their back side .
It's a world of keyboard where in some case words are written by non sailor or by sailor who never leave their own sailing ground repeating hear say just to be notices .

but has you well know out in the real world,everything is very different and most of us get on very well , what ever country we come from.
We have more French, Germany, Italian, and Dutch sailing friends then we have British,
I can't remember the last time I went up to an Italian or French boat at anchor to say Hi and not been invited on board,
which isn't the case with my own countrymen .
Maybe it's time we dropped our stiff upper lip.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
What happened recently (last week??) in Paxos??
I've seen lots of photos, posted on FB, showing afew yacht's washed up on a beach and on the southern breakwater in Gaios.
Are you perhaps referring to blow on 11th August that affected Corfu and Paxos? The forecast was for moderate-fresh NW winds, when around 6pm the wind swung round to the NE and started to blow at gale force: some people say they recorded 60kt gusts. It lasted about 2 hours and caused carnage in all those anchorages that are open to the NE. I was anchored off Petriti where numerous boats dragged. In both Garitsas Bay, the main anchorage for Corfu town, and (I understand) Gaios boats were driven ashore. There's a blog here: http://www.eagiesallatsea.com for a yacht driven ashore at Garitsas Bay, recovered by a hair-raising tow-off.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
We where also in Petreti and collected a German boat across our bows, which caused half an hours excitement whilst we unshackled our bridal to release more chain and drop back, They where neatly hooked inside our bridal with the rudder so well stuck. Nice to know the Manson held both of us though. Our Airmar Weather Station showed 55kt gusts at the peak of it. Lesson learnt is that I need to fit a quick release to the bridal though, pulling shackle pins was no fun!

11252766_10153642227001414_4663273413686667862_n (Small).jpg
IMG_0336 (Small).JPG

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We where also in Petreti and collected a German boat across our bows, which caused half an hours excitement whilst we unshackled our bridal to release more chain and drop back, They where neatly hooked inside our bridal with the rudder so well stuck. Nice to know the Manson held both of us though. Our Airmar Weather Station showed 55kt gusts at the peak of it. Lesson learnt is that I need to fit a quick release to the bridal though, pulling shackle pins was no fun!

View attachment 53378
View attachment 53379

D what you complaining about , the boat was full of women in tiny swin wear , :)
No wonder it took you a while to get your pin out , I bet S was keeping a close eye on you .

AndrewB

Visit site
That yacht in the top left-hand corner of your pic is us! We watched you with concern, and am only sorry we were not able to help. Pleased to see you sorted it without any obvious damage.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
That yacht in the top left-hand corner of your pic is us! We watched you with concern, and am only sorry we were not able to help. Pleased to see you sorted it without any obvious damage.

Hey, no worries and nice to know you where around. It was never really a problem, our catamaran is built like a tank anyway! I must say that the German skipper swam over after they where clear with a can of beer and an apology :)