Passports for UK Coastal trip.

Momac

Visit site
Does anyone carry a UK passport on board for a UK coastal trip?
Its been suggested to me this is required as proof of ID in case of challenge from Border Force.
I would have thought usual contents of wallet would be sufficient eg driving license and other UK cards.
Thoughts would be appreciated to settle a debate on the subject.

Gustywinds

Visit site
There isn’t a requirement to provide identity information UNLESS you are arrested (in the UK)
Except if you are driving a vehicle in which case you are obliged to show your driving license if stopped by police or take it to a police station within 72 hours. You do not have to have been arrested.

ylop

Visit site
There isn’t a requirement to provide identity information UNLESS you are arrested (in the UK)
You are required to provide information in some circumstances - not just when arrested - but you are never required to provide physical proof of that (like a passport). If a constable has reason to doubt that information, or you refuse to provide it they can arrest/detain you for the purposes of establishing your identity. There is no requirement to even have photo ID in the U.K.
Except if you are driving a vehicle in which case you are obliged to show your driving license if stopped by police or take it to a police station within 72 hours. You do not have to have been arrested.
7 days not 72 hrs. But that is only the driver not any passengers.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Does anyone carry a UK passport on board for a UK coastal trip?
Its been suggested to me this is required as proof of ID in case of challenge from Border Force.
I would have thought usual contents of wallet would be sufficient eg driving license and other UK cards.
Thoughts would be appreciated to settle a debate on the subject.
No.

I have a very old drivers license, pre photo ID, so that would not work.

Somebody needs to find out what powers a BF officer has when it comes to proving who you are.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
No.

Somebody needs to find out what powers a BF officer has when it comes to proving who you are.
They usually have a very large boat with big engines. When we were stopped as it approached it was very scary :oops:

Momac

Visit site
No.

I would have thought the Border Force would accept folks accurately revealing identification verbally . I may be wrong but would expect they have access to peoples home address date of birth and passport images. Obviously not everyone everyone has a passport type id.
They usually have a very large boat with big engines. When we were stopped as it approached it was very scary :oops:
What did they ask you? Did you have to show any identification?

Greg2

Visit site
Absolutely no need for U.K. nationals to carry a passport in U.K. waters. In the unlikely event that you are inspected by Border Force it is very likely that you would quickly be able to satisfy them in terms of identification. Even if suspicious they will have access to information and/or could make swift enquires to corroborate who you say you are.

Bouba

Visit site
I would be amazed if anyone with the demographics that this forum is likely to have gets arrested for not being who they say they are…..but totally unfazed by the idea of getting arrested for being arsey to an official

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
No, I don't carry my passport for UK coastal trips.

Whoever suggested that probably listens to and believes Jeff Taylor on YouTube.

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
an Immigration Officer has quite wide ranging powers including “examining an individual” (and searching a vessel) when the enter or leave the U.K. The question is whether those powers extend to examination of an individual who has not actually left the U.K. It likely they would if the Immigrafion Officer had reason to suspect you were/had entered the U.K. recently but unless you both fall out with an immigration official and have very deep pockets it’s unlikely to ever be tested.

Not all Borders Force staff are actually Immigration Officers either, and I think even some immigration officers may not be trained/authorised to arrest/detain you. I would suggest that replying to a question about where you have come from with “are you authorised to detain me if I refuse to answer that question” might heighten the suspicion and ultimately be more likely to lead to detention. FWIW if I was a borders force officer and someone started handing me passports but said they had not left the country or intended to leave the country that would make my spidey senses prick up - so it may actually be counter productive to the suggestion in the OP!

Presumably most skippers have some sort of paperwork relating to the vessel (an insurance document, a SSR certificate, the VHF license, your VHF Operators certificate) and are likely to have a bank card or similar. It seems very unlikely to me that any vessel operating legitimately will really struggle to convince officials they are “legit”, unless the skipper/crew decide to be difficult about it.

IF you are not a U.K. national, the boat is not U.K. flagged, you don’t have a British accent, or potentially your name or ethnicity might result in follow up questions then carrying some ID might make any interaction quicker. If I was in that group, and sailed in waters where it might be suspected I was entering the U.K. I might keep a copy of my passport with my boat papers - then your passport number etc would speed up any search. In fact, for other reasons I have a photo of both passport and driving license one my phone.