Passports for UK Coastal trip.

PWLS08

Visit site
MOD Police have Absolutly no authority over the general public unless you are on MOD land. They sometimes forget this

Wrong.

MDP officers may now exercise police powers where a local police force requests the assistance of MDP officers. Where such assistance is provided, Ministry of Defence Police officers will be under the operational control of the local Chief Constable from the requesting force, and will have the same police powers as officers of that force. An MDP officer may also exercise police powers to deal with emergency situations where he/she is in uniform, or in possession of documentary evidence of membership of the MDP, and has “reasonable grounds for suspecting that an offence is about to be committed, is being committed or has been committed, or “…reasonably believes that action is necessary to save life or prevent or minimise injury.”

Paulfireblade

Visit site
My only run in with Border Force was last year departing from Harwich last Winter planning to head North and looking to cross main channel (at a right angle obviously) I planned to cross over as they passed me but before they did, slowed down just behind us and sat there for a while matching our speed. Not wanting to turn in front of them I had to carry on past my intended crossing point. After what seemed like five minutes and not wanting to maintain a direction towards Holland I decided to call them on Channel 16 but before picked up the mic the sped past us and kindly left us rocking in their wake. Thanks for that:mad:

Paulfireblade

Visit site
A small aside, a friend was on a boat off the coast of Holland and an official boat pulled alongside and asked to see their passports. A stick with a bag on the end was waved in their direction and they had to put their passports in it. Thankfully the stick was returned after so they could successfully retrieve their passports.

PWLS08

Visit site
Now you mention it, I don't recall them identifying themselves - they certainly did have guns!

If the were Police the would have had POLICE in big letters on their black suits, not easy to miss (BF are normally marked up in a similar way) and indeed on their boat. If they did not, then they were most likely Poole Canoe Club or similar on a day out, training or for a special event.

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If the were Police the would have ad POLICE in big letters on their black suits, not easy to miss (BF are normally marked up in a similar way) and indeed on their boat. If they did not, then they were most likely Poole Canoe Club or similar on a day out, training or for a special event.
Surprised that a canoe club carry weapons - and that the Poole chapter train in RIBs on the Thames!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If the were Police the would have had POLICE in big letters on their black suits, not easy to miss (BF are normally marked up in a similar way) and indeed on their boat. If they did not, then they were most likely Poole Canoe Club or similar on a day out, training or for a special event.
Of course, they may have had either of these markings - oddly, IT WAS THE MEN WITH GUNS that I noticed!

wonkywinch

Visit site
A couple of years ago on the Solent, a black rib with 4-5 well built Caribbean guys on it, all dressed in black, approached us at high speed which, if it hadn't been the Solent, would have caused a fair bit of anxiety as to intentions.

As they drew alongside, they held out a net on a pole with stuff in it. Turned out to be some t shirts and handful of Mount Gay rum miniatures. They were promoting the next Barbados Sailing Week event.

Cool way of doing it, I needed that shot of rum!

st599

Visit site
A small aside, a friend was on a boat off the coast of Holland and an official boat pulled alongside and asked to see their passports. A stick with a bag on the end was waved in their direction and they had to put their passports in it. Thankfully the stick was returned after so they could successfully retrieve their passports.
In the Netherlands, even a train ticket inspector has the legal right to demand your passport.

Gustywinds

Visit site
In the Netherlands, even a train ticket inspector has the legal right to demand your passport.
We were asked for our passports by a guy I thought was policeman but turned out to be a marina security guard when we moored in Haarlem. Only time in Netherlands apart from coming into the country. A bit of confusion about the fact that we were both travelling on British passports but the boat was Dutch registered. Same on Sunday when I arrived in Dunkerque. I had paid for berthing on a UK card and from a UK address but gave an Irish passport as ID (because I'd entered the EU on it this time)

st599

Visit site
Surprised that a canoe club carry weapons - and that the Poole chapter train in RIBs on the Thames!
I think you're mistaking the Poole Harbour Canoe Club who paddle about in little boats and the Poole Canoe Club (Special Boat Service) who thrash around the harbour and as far as the Solent in blacked out RIBs, no lights, 40+ knots.

Alicatt

Visit site
The water police gave a lift to one of our club members from the next haven to ours when they dropped him off they came over to us, we were just back from a trip out with the eldest lad and his wife. The water police asked to see all documents and then all our safety equipment.
We got faulted on the fire extinguisher which was too small at 1kg, the rules had changed a few weeks prior to require you to have a 2kg extinguisher within 1m of the helm, so we now have a 2kg at the helm and a 1kg in the cabin plus a fire blanket close to the cooker. The other thing was a radar reflector which we now also have onboard.
And yes the water police are armed looked like a 9mm Sig on one of them and a rather large revolver on the hip of the other guy, could not make out what make or calibre it was.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I think you're mistaking the Poole Harbour Canoe Club who paddle about in little boats and the Poole Canoe Club (Special Boat Service) who thrash around the harbour and as far as the Solent in blacked out RIBs, no lights, 40+ knots.
Er, so neither would be up the Thames then?

Thames, black RIB, unsmiling blokes with shooters, chatty lady asks about our trip, job done. Could have been a bunch of extras from "Slow Horses" having a laugh for all I know.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Does anyone carry a UK passport on board for a UK coastal trip?
Its been suggested to me this is required as proof of ID in case of challenge from Border Force.
I would have thought usual contents of wallet would be sufficient eg driving license and other UK cards.
Thoughts would be appreciated to settle a debate on the subject.
If asked, tell them you chucked it overboard, when you left France :rolleyes:

Daydream believer

Visit site
We got faulted on the fire extinguisher which was too small at 1kg, the rules had changed a few weeks prior to require you to have a 2kg extinguisher within 1m of the helm, so we now have a 2kg at the helm and a 1kg in the cabin plus a fire blanket close to the cooker. The other thing was a radar reflector which we now also have onboard.
And yes the water police are armed looked like a 9mm Sig on one of them and a rather large revolver on the hip of the other guy, could not make out what make or calibre it was.
Whose rules are those? Certainly not in the Uk one assumes. If UK flagged should one still need to comply when abroad?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Are you sure they were BF? Not normally armed. Anti terror police do operate on the Thames, something to do with that funny building with the big clock and a long memory of events in 1605!
Could have been a 'joint patrol'. BF have one set of powers the 'men in black' from some other organisation another.

In the past I have known HM Customs Officers to carry personal protection weapons.

Alicatt

Visit site
Whose rules are those? Certainly not in the Uk one assumes. If UK flagged should one still need to comply when abroad?
Aus Belgian Rules on a Belgian Flagged boat.
We have a different set of conditions/rules that must be complied with depending on a) how fast your boat goes, b) whether inland waters or open sea, c)size of vessel

Required equipment for a Belgian flagged boat
https://mobilit.belgium.be/sites/default/files/documents/publications/2023/IACS99 - Belgian specific requirements v1.2.pdf

This gives an actual list
Uitrusting voor pleziervaartuigen | mobility

Last edited: