Passports for UK Coastal trip.

Momac

Visit site
We were stopped by a huge border force boat. It was a bit scary. They obviously heat scanned the boat to check numbers onboard. They would not speak on the radio and they came along side and asked questions by shouting to us. There were about 6 or so questions and it all took a few minutes. No real issue but just scary. Their attitude was ok but could have been better
Did they ask for passports ?

Momac

Visit site
MOD Police have Absolutly no authority over the general public unless you are on MOD land. They sometimes forget this

So for example they can only arrest you for shoplifting if the shop is on MOD property.

But they do have authority outside of MOD establishments regarding MOD related matters.
1724921053356.png1724921053356.png

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We were approached by Border Force in the Thames - one delightful, chatty woman and a bunch of unsmiling, partly shaven men clutching guns. After a chat that was more "how are your holidays" than "assume the position", they were on their way, having kept our borders safe for another day.

SC35

Visit site
I would be interested to hear from people who have been stopped at sea in UK waters on a UK coastal trip by a border force vessel and how it went. Did they demand to see identification or did they just ask the people on board a few questions such as the post above?

We were in a convoy coming from Belgium to the UK ... one RIB got stopped.
No demands for any kind of ID: just a chat for a few minutes to confirm circumstances.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Did they ask for passports ?
No and we did not have them. We were on one of those boats with flappy things and ropes they call sheets. It was a passage from The Hamble to the River Orwell over 3 days. I think because we were in UK waters they could not have expected us to have them and there is no requirement in UK law in my opinion. It certainly gave us the willies when this monster vessel about 0.5 miles away turned in our direction all engines full chat and was obviously heading for us cos nowt else was out where we were

st599

Visit site
That is not what a Regular senior Plod told me
The MOD police are in charge of on the water policing within the limits of the RN dockyard ports. Those limits are quite large, for Portsmouth it's the entire harbour, plus the waters from Osborne to Hayling island and down to Seaview. I'm assuming the Plymouth patch is a similar size.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The MOD police are in charge of on the water policing within the limits of the RN dockyard ports. Those limits are quite large, for Portsmouth it's the entire harbour, plus the waters from Osborne to Hayling island and down to Seaview. I'm assuming the Plymouth patch is a similar size.
All true, but they have powers beyond those limits as well.

ylop

Visit site
We were approached by Border Force in the Thames - one delightful, chatty woman and a bunch of unsmiling, partly shaven men clutching guns. After a chat that was more "how are your holidays" than "assume the position", they were on their way, having kept our borders safe for another day.
Are you sure they were BF? Not normally armed. Anti terror police do operate on the Thames, something to do with that funny building with the big clock and a long memory of events in 1605!
That is not what a Regular senior Plod told me
So you assumed regular cops were always right and mod plod were sometimes mistaken but didn’t consider if the opposite could also be true? Their jurisdiction is not determined by geography but rather by subject matter, but they can also unilaterally decide a “civi” matter is so urgent and serious that they can and must intervene.