Passage planning advice - Cherbourg to Solent

fastjedi

Visit site
O.K ... we are sick of Cherbourg and keen to get home on Sunday or Monday (prefere the westerleys on Sunday even if the sea state is more challenging). Assuming we aspire to a daylight crossing the tide in the needles channel will be against us from 6pm to midnight :-(
Looking at the Bembridge ledge option, the SE IoW tides are against us from around 7pm onwards too :-(

Should we
a) Battle through the neap tides to the east of IoW (I know from experience this doesn't work on a spring!)
b) Keep well to the east of IoW (Selsley Bill) and then rocket in on the west going solent tide
c) Have a lie in and plan to arrive around midnight

I am not sure an earlier departure is a great idea based on the current forecast!

Boomshanka

Visit site
Depart really early on Sat and aim to be inside the Needles channel before the tide turns?

Have you seen the forecast for the Channel on Saturday :eek: Obviously the skipper's call, but if it were me I'd hold off until this blow has gone through. Even then, I'd favour the eastern approach on Sunday/Monday to avoid any remnants of seastate going through the needles channel... but that's just me.

Could always nip round the corner to St.Vaast before the blow if you want a change of scenery?

fastjedi

Visit site
I know I am putting too much faith in a weather forecast at this stage but .... the strong winds are falling back over Saturday night / Sunday morning. It may be a quick look out of the hatch at 5am will answer my question (plan for a midnight arrival) .. I doubt a look out of the hatch at 2am would encourage me to reach for the main halyard!

Yes ... we pondered St Vaast but that restricts our departure time (so we are going on the bus tomorrow)

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Have you seen the forecast for the Channel on Saturday :eek: Obviously the skipper's call, but if it were me I'd hold off until this blow has gone through. Even then, I'd favour the eastern approach on Sunday/Monday to avoid any remnants of seastate going through the needles channel... but that's just me.

Could always nip round the corner to St.Vaast before the blow if you want a change of scenery?

I'm with Boomshanka on this one; the Needles Channel ( Bridge ) is no place to be after a big blow.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Have you given thought to leaving around 4 or 5pm? You leave in the light, do most of the crossing in the dark to arrive at first light off IoW, Bembridge side?

HappyHunter

Visit site
If you have wind against tide at the bridge, go west of the shingles into Christchurch bay then follow North Channel. Did that on weds pm with F6 southwesterly and a couple of hours of ebb tide left. Swell eased close to shore and 10 mins slog at hurst castle and you're home.

l'escargot

Visit site
I would also go for the North Channel option and come in through Hurst. Avoids the Bridge altogether, doesn't add as much time to the journey as coming in from the East and avoids a final beat home.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I would also go for the North Channel option and come in through Hurst. Avoids the Bridge altogether, doesn't add as much time to the journey as coming in from the East and avoids a final beat home.

Good advice, seconded, have found the North Channel much quieter and you don`t want to batle rough seas in the Needles channel when tired at the end of a crossing.