Here's the passage plan....

51756681183_da2c29465c_z.jpg

....and here's the boat.

51756681228_f09f0f8eaa_c.jpg

Thoughts?

andsarkit

Visit site
Cheers
I remember seeing her at Exeter Maritime Museum before it closed.
CHEERS, Dick Newick's 1968 OSTAR Atlantic Proa

Race Committee letter, October, 1967: Royal Western Yacht Club of England

"I notice that you are taking steps to enable the crew to right the vessel when it has capsized, but my committee are more interested in any steps you may take to stop the capsizing in the first place. We are still of the opinion that to race along at 25 knots in between periodically capsizing is not a proper way to cross the Atlantic..."

dialdan

Visit site
The Proa Jzerro Has some history, now owned by Ryan Finn . Previously sailed across the Pacific to Australia , back to NZ then shipped back to the US 1640155535228.png

Chae_73

Visit site
It was explained to me that true Proas shunt (i.e. the rig is moved and the boat direction reversed when the boat goes through the wind). If the boat tacks, and maintains the same direction of the hull through the water, it is an outrigger rather than a Proa

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
Is that you, Zoidberg? If so, good luck! An awful lot of that is against prevailing wind and currents. Not much you can do about Cape Horn (except take an inside passage), but I suspect you'll want to go a lot further out in both the Atlantic and Pacific at the two ends of that trip.

DownWest

Visit site
No, AndreB, you misunderstand.

I'm too fond, now, of warm croissants and slippers for that kind of stuff.
Ah, I was connecting the drogue questions with this, except confused about which boat you had.
Saw the other day in a boaty travel book, that Cape Horn was named by an not often remembered Dutch navigater after the town of Hoorne., in Holland.

zoidberg

Visit site
'Pologies, AndrewB. My OP was ambiguous.... and, no, I have NO desire to sail around Cape Horn the hard(er) way, passing dozens of more pleasant places along the way.