Part Identification Help

luismartins

dovetailkid.com
Hi everyone,

The attached image shows a piece of "plastic" that I removed from the roller furler top swivel. It's a kind of plastic that was riveted to the inside of the swivel that slides up and down the genoa foil. I guess this is used to provide a smoother motion and not have aluminium on aluminium which would damage both the foil and the swivel.

This is kind of pinkish colour and it's around 1mm thick and somewhat flexible.

Does anyone know what kind of material this is? Can I use a sheet of teflon to fabricate a replacement?
The furler in question is a Colnebrook Seareef which no longer exists.

Regards,
Luis

IMG_3204.jpg

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Milk container unlikely to be PVC it would be PET

Regards

Donald

Getting too technical for me - never did chemistry... :D

Coke bottles are PET (??) which I associate with clear shiny hard plastic - milk bottles are an opaque more malleable plastic, and looked like the OP's original picture...

The font of other peoples misunderstandings/guesses and mistakes (aka Wikipedia) says "More recently, plastic bottles have been commonly used for milk. These are often made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), are used only once, and are easily recycleable."

knuterikt

Visit site
Hi everyone,

The attached image shows a piece of "plastic" that I removed from the roller furler top swivel. It's a kind of plastic that was riveted to the inside of the swivel that slides up and down the genoa foil. I guess this is used to provide a smoother motion and not have aluminium on aluminium which would damage both the foil and the swivel.

This is kind of pinkish colour and it's around 1mm thick and somewhat flexible.

Does anyone know what kind of material this is? Can I use a sheet of teflon to fabricate a replacement?
The furler in question is a Colnebrook Seareef which no longer exists.

Regards,
Luis

View attachment 53263
Looking at the picture it seems as if the material have been worn down, what is the clearance between the inside of top swivel and foil?
It it originally has been a sleeved insert you must get a new machined and get the swivel off to replace:

VicS

Visit site
The hard , transparent and colourless bottles such as Coke, bottled water etc are PETE ( or PET ) polyethylene terephthalate Chemically the same as the terylene used for rope or clothing.

Milk bottles and many other bottles are usually HDPE, High density polyethylene.

The more heat resistant plastics used for some kitchenware and some packaging is polypropylene (PP)

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I would venture to say that the main characteristics of the plastic would need to be (1) the thickness, (2) resistance to abrasion and (3) the resistance to degradation. If it were me I would use any convenient pliable material of the right thickness as long as it is not polypropylene and does not have any filler.