pantaenius

graham42

Visit site
03/08/03 gibraltar. a royal navy "safety boat" rams private yacht.
anchored north of the runway, early sunday morning, bright clear skys, vis 10 miles a the navy safety boat, riding on the plane, looses control and rams my vessel. damage; split open starboard stern, shock damage to outdrive leg and other damage.
ring pantaenius who tell me to have boat lifted. in sheppards marina the insurance accessor arrives views damage, takes verbal statement, then informs me he works for pantaenius and contradicts my statement.
pantaenius 3 weeks later email me to say i agree with accessors facts that outdrive leg damage is nothing to do with accident.
pantaenius does not reply to my phone calls, the extentions they put me through to are engaged and staff are always on holiday.
i have comprehensive insurrance, been with the company for years but now, they dont want to know.
this is my first marine accident, pantaenius advertising suggests they are a caring company. ive found they only care for themselves.
ive had to do all the chasing for quotes, insurrace details from the m.o.d.
i have a better dialog with the m.o.d. than this insurrance company.
ive appealed to the govenor of gibraltar, the cammand sec, royal navy, who now owns up to being the local contact.
sheppards marina, who are the only people who can do the repairs and give quotes are not the easiest of people to deal with.
it ought to be simple and straight forward, lt cammander pete cooper admitted the accident was his fault, an open and shut case and yet pantaenius will not call me back, until yesterday refused to email me.
i filled my claim in on the internet, but theres no contact addresses for accident reporting. phone calls from a mobile are expensive and many gib phone dont work.

comments and help would be appreciated
gragam gingell

Post edited only to take out a speculative comment about financial welfare of company -- Kim

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 26/08/2003 19:12 (server time).</FONT></P>

chrisrixon

Visit site
Oh dear, sorry to hear this. Having had a boat wrecked in Benalmadena last year I can fully sympathise.

It does confirm what I have concluded about Pantaenius, they are good as gold with a small claim but quite the reverse with a big claim.

Our boat was sufficiently damaged to warrant having it trucked back to the UK as the Spanish yards (including Sheppards) don’t have the experience for a big repair. This may be worth considering. You should also consider getting your own survey done. Pantanius will tell you Sheppards and the Spanish yards are ok but this is not so.

I recently met a professional who has worked in Spain and he said he would not trust his boat to any Spanish yard.

Another thing you could do is pay to have a UK yard go out and quote for a repair. This might not be as expensive as it sounds. The cost of a UK repair + trucking might be less than the Sheppards repair anyway. You at least then have a warranty from a UK company. Peters Plc (Chichester) could truck you back for quite a reasonable rate.

Chris.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rixon.net/z> St Malo to the Med on the web</A> /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

timevans2000

Visit site
Graham,

sorry to hear of your accident with your boat. I had similar difficulty with Pantaenius on a small claim when I dropped my outboard over the side. I eventually got them to pay out but it took time. My advise would be to stick with it and hassle the hell out of them. I wrote to them several times. This seem to do the trick.

Assuming you get Ladybird repaired soon, where are you heading for next?

Regards

Tim

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I am sorry to hear about your problem. I got cold feet when there was a lot of complaints about them at the start of the year. I cancelled my insurance and went to Navigators - which was cheaper and - I think - a better contract, especially when it comes to replacing the rig.

Good luck - Don't hang around - just go for their b***s and issue a write - or what ever .

<hr width=100% size=1>