Panama Canal Transit

tcm

Visit site

BradleyC

Visit site
Thanks - I found it really interesting, and it gave me a better idea of what is involved. Good to know so thanks

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Hi Michael,
Just got to watching your video and I've got to say that it reflects our passage through back in '96 (scale, forces involved and the apprehension at the helm) - much more so than TCM's buddy's offering.

Maybe it's an age thing (though I was in my mid-forties at the time of the transit).

Thanks for posting.

BTW we also tied alongside the tug Chester Harding in one lock - wonder if it's still floating.

panama-canal.jpg

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Thanks very interesting. I am thinking of transiting early next year so it gave me an idea of what to expect - the turbulence in the locks looks scary!

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Thanks very interesting. I am thinking of transiting early next year so it gave me an idea of what to expect - the turbulence in the locks looks scary!

My wife and I have done four transits - one as line handlers and three with our own boat - turbulence can be strong but not scary. We found the advisers that accompany you are very sound and do give good advice and direction. Competent line-handlers make the whole thing an enjoyable and exciting trip, including the overnight tie-up to a big ship buoy in the Gatun Lake.