Paint on planes

MARNEN

Visit site
I am having trouble getting Int. Epoxy paint in Sicily. Is it ok to buy it in the UK and pack it in my hold baggage when we fly out in the spring?

z1ppy

Visit site
Ask the airline first. Paint is classified as hazardous for transport and usually falls under UN 1263 with packing group I, II, or III. Ask the manufacturer for their Material Safety Data Sheet, section 14 will give you transport information.

Generally it will need to be packed in a type approved box and documented accordingly.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Generally speaking paints are classified as Dangerous Air Cargo (DAC) and the carriage of DAC is, for the most part, not permitted on passenger aircraft. This is the case even when the various packaging requirements are met as mentioned above. You can try asking the airline but I doubt that you will get permission.

MARNEN

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I will try and source on the ground. Thanks for the link to SVB24 Sandyman, good prices too.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It might surprise you how little it costs to have items shipped out to Europe. Try Interparcel as a guide. We ship boxes of stuff out to Greece most years, a box of around 40 x 40 x 30 cm costs about £30, cheaper than taking it as hold luggage with Easyjet.

Sandyman

Visit site
It might surprise you how little it costs to have items shipped out to Europe. Try Interparcel as a guide. We ship boxes of stuff out to Greece most years, a box of around 40 x 40 x 30 cm costs about £30, cheaper than taking it as hold luggage with Easyjet.

Yes indeed always worth checking shipping costs. Recently had two large packages delivered to us here in Faro. Both around 60Kg. The one from SVB in Germany was 39.95 Euros. The one from the UK was 126 Euros. One of those situations where what I required was only available from the UK or I would not have bothered.

Ric

Visit site
Several years ago I was working as a factory pilot for an aircraft manufacturer. One day the sales department tasked me to deliver a brand new aircraft to a customer. At the last minute, the customer requested that a large pot of special paint for the aircraft be included in the delivery. Being busy rushing around getting the flight ready, I didn't think too much about the potential implications. Somebody from the spares department placed the pot in the rear of the aircraft. I took off, and was just climbing through 12000ft approximately, and there was a large bang from the back of the plane, giving me the fright of my life. I looked round and saw the interior of the brand new plane re-decorated with white paint. It took them a week to clean and repair the plane.

Davegriff

Visit site
When we wanted to take some spare parts for the dinghy outboard by plane to France, SWMBO telephoned the airline and asked about putting the stuff in the hold luggage. When asked what we were taking, she replied 'spare parts for an outboard - drive shaft, gears, metal tubing and paint' and was told just to parcel it up and it would be alright.

Just be be sure, I stuck a label on the taped-up and sealed container stating exactly what it contained, including a security camera I had decided to take. No questions were asked at check-in even when I pointed out said label, and retrieval at Toulouse airport was via the "irregular-shaped" collection area without question. The parcel had not been opened and all its contents including the tin of paint were intact.

teredo

Visit site
PLEASE don't try to take paint on an aeroplane. It often has flamable and/or toxic vapours that will build up in the hold if the can bursts which is all too possible given the delicacy of our beloved baggage handlers who may not the the only ones affected by the vapour as a blevy in the hold affects everyone. Lower atmospheric pressure assists lids to come off too.
Not surprisingly carrying paint is specifically outlawed by all airlines as it is quite rightly classed as dangerous goods.