Paddle wheel log ... located ? (Bilge Keelers ...)

G

Where is your paddle wheel through hull located in relation to your bilge keels ....

I have a few options where to fit mine - but wish to check where others have ... see if there's a trend ...

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
On my centaur just to port of centre, a little ahead of keels.

[/ QUOTE ]Same place on our Griffon. This is inside one of the under-bunk lockers, which are sealed to well above the static waterline. That makes pulling the impellor to clean it a bit less scary, and easier to mop out the water that does come in.

pampas

Visit site
On all of the twin and triple keeled boats that I have owned and seen, the paddle wheel is usually about 1ft in front of the leading edge and halfway between the keels (Triple) and 1/2 way from c/l and the bilge keel,thus keeping the paddle in smooth water. The disadvantge being the on some boats it reads slower on one tack. This statement is not true for all bilge keelers.

William_H

Visit site
High Nigel I have been through the paddle wheel stage. The weed growtrh and crustaceans was simply a killer for the whole system and eventually I removed it and filled in the hole.

If I had my chance all over again I would mount the paddle on a stick at and below the transom. It could easily be pulled up for cleaning and in fact in my case would be out of the water until the crew and skipper sat in the cockpit. Meanwhile I will do without.

Now I don't really expect you to do this but still think it worth the comment in the discussion. Obviously you wouldn't have so much weed growth as I do. Currently I can see the growth on the hull over a week after scrubbing. But for all that it seems paddles are still fouled regularly in UK .
Good luck Nigel it won't be long before the sun shines for you. olewill

Bajansailor

Visit site
We have the same problem re weed and fouling...... and the Stowe log unit got into a major strop some time back and decided to pack up..... hence I think I will follow your sound advice, take it all out, and glass up the hole - that will be the 5th through hull fitting below the waterline that I get rid of! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And if we can ever persuade Mr. Stowe to be more cheerful and work again, then I shall try your method of hanging him off the back on a stick. Only want it for comparison purposes against the GPS anyway.

G

[ QUOTE ]
High Nigel I have been through the paddle wheel stage. The weed growtrh and crustaceans was simply a killer for the whole system and eventually I removed it and filled in the hole.

If I had my chance all over again I would mount the paddle on a stick at and below the transom. It could easily be pulled up for cleaning and in fact in my case would be out of the water until the crew and skipper sat in the cockpit. Meanwhile I will do without.

Now I don't really expect you to do this but still think it worth the comment in the discussion. Obviously you wouldn't have so much weed growth as I do. Currently I can see the growth on the hull over a week after scrubbing. But for all that it seems paddles are still fouled regularly in UK .
Good luck Nigel it won't be long before the sun shines for you. olewill

[/ QUOTE ]

I already had considered mounting the paddle on a tube of the transom ... for the very reason you mention ... but now boat is in fresh water and only occasionally venturing to brackish baltic sea ... so fouling is not such an issue.

Why do I want one ? I bought a dual Echopilot years ago and only fitted the Echo-Sounder part ... boat stayed afloat - so basically stopped me drilling the hole. It also fouled up a lot ... sitting on berth..... in UK - now she's in Latvia.
The river I live on has a current and I want to survey / compile a geo data file for it and also I plan to use my boat for private teaching others to sail etc. The log will be important addition to both. Before others shout GPS ... great - but then I don't want to have to keep drifting to read current !! Rather drop hook, pour a beer ... once boat settled - read log !!
It's a long term project !!

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Aye paddle wheel as stated in front of keels slightly off centre line either to port or stbd in a location of generally undisturbed water flow.

But what is happening with all you guys!!! Surely weed does not grow on the paddle wheel as you are sailing. The reason you have a little plug thinghy, is that you should remove the paddle wheel every time you moor up and replace it with the plug. If perchance if fouls as you are sailing then you pull it out , clear it and replace immediately.

Perhaps you expect the service crew to do all that tedious stuff for you!!!!

G

[ QUOTE ]
Aye paddle wheel as stated in front of keels slightly off centre line either to port or stbd in a location of generally undisturbed water flow.

But what is happening with all you guys!!! Surely weed does not grow on the paddle wheel as you are sailing. The reason you have a little plug thinghy, is that you should remove the paddle wheel every time you moor up and replace it with the plug. If perchance if fouls as you are sailing then you pull it out , clear it and replace immediately.

Perhaps you expect the service crew to do all that tedious stuff for you!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots here are a little worried about getting a bit of water up the spout !!

My concern is forgetting to pull the thing before the lift strops go round ... as now she's in Baltic - no way can she stay in for winter.

My engine intake is in line with aft egde of BK's ... just to stbd of C/L .... on my Snapdragon prev. boat to this one - I fitted it same place ... seemed to work ok ........... but she was triple keeled so central keel tended to reduce keel effect on it I think.
I was hoping that another had fitted clear of lift areas - basically at / around aft BK line ...

Bajansailor

Visit site
Our paddle thingy had been in place for a couple of years or so when we acquired the boat, and it did not come with a blanking plug...... it was another 8 years before I finally thought it might be a good idea to get a plug - only to find that there is no-way I can get the spinny thingy out - it seems to be jammed in solid.
As it dont work nowt anyways now, thought I might as well take the whole lot out now, and glass up the hole.