Pacific Windpilot

eebygum

Visit site
I have a Winpilot Pacific on my Westerly Storm. Have crossed oceans with it and it is the best and most reliable crew that you can hope for.

Good design, good materials, easily fitted and maintained and well supported by the supplier.
Hi, Sent you a PM. I’m also considering a Windpilot for a Westerly Storm.

geem

Visit site
I have just acquired a tillerpilot to connect to my windpilot as an autopilot back up. I will be making a bracket to mount it today🙂

Jonny A

Visit site
I have just acquired a tillerpilot to connect to my windpilot as an autopilot back up. I will be making a bracket to mount it today🙂

As far as I know, Peter at Windpilot specifically warns against using a tillerpilot acting directly onto a Windpilot, as it isn't designed to take the loads. If you haven't already, I would talk to him about your plans first.

fredrussell

Visit site
I’ve always considered there to be a ‘big three’ of wind vanes: Monitor, Aries and Hydrovane. I’ve seen so many Windpilots in the last few years I’m wondering if that should now be ‘big four’.

Jonny A

Visit site
I've had mine for a year, and as an engineer myself, the standard of design and manufacture is very high. It took me a little experimentation to get the best out of it, but quickly found it to be reliable and accurate.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
As far as I know, Peter at Windpilot specifically warns against using a tillerpilot acting directly onto a Windpilot, as it isn't designed to take the loads. If you haven't already, I would talk to him about your plans first.
OTOH, the lower swinging arm has a tiny hole to fit the pin of the autopilot, it is positioned to give the same span of movement of an ST1000/TP10, IIRC 25cm (?)
I plan to use one as well, though I am considering a pull/pull system with one or two bowden cables, that would allow to keep the ST1000 in the cockpit and make it easier to do the +10/-10, the two buttons are very near to the ram exit so basically very near to the vertical tube of the Windpilot.

Jonny A

Visit site
You may well be right, but I would still check what you intend to do with Peter. In my experience he is very quick and helpful in answering any emails.

andsarkit

Visit site
I think this just applies to the Pacific light which I assume is the one you have on your 26.

geem

Visit site
It has the hole drilled in the Windpilot ready for the mounting pin. It creates no more load than the vane. It's only pushing the vane arm back and forward. Yes you have to ensure that the ram on full range doesn't exert load on the Windpilot but the basic calcs suggest that the windpilot vane arm has more range than the autopilot tiller ram

geem

Visit site
I’ve always considered there to be a ‘big three’ of wind vanes: Monitor, Aries and Hydrovane. I’ve seen so many Windpilots in the last few years I’m wondering if that should now be ‘big four’.
We mainly see Hydrovane and Windpilots