Overtaking (non boaty)

tr7v8

Visit site
Re: You wanna try..

Max speed of trailer in the UK (talking cars & tin-tents or boats here) is 60MPH on M/ways & dual carriage ways and 50 everywhere else (unless lower speed limit applies of course). As some one who used to tow race car trailers and boats and (he sez hiding) a tin-tent, yes you can overtake. With decent size tow car and enough space it's not a problem HOWEVER if it all goes mega pear shaped, then braking to slow it all down is a more major problem due to the crap over run brakes we are forced to use. In the US they have electric brakes rather than over-run ones and are apparently MUCH better.
Big problem towing in the UK is the total muppets who will hog the middle lane, which as you're not allowed to use the outer one is a real pain, they are also oblivious to flashed lights etc.
And if you think it's bad in Scotland try Norfolk, the Caravan club have a huge Rally in the summer at Sandringham, after a 40 mile journey behind that lot on a weekend you feel like pulling 'em over and setting fire to them. They tow at 40ish MPH in close convoy for mile after mile and get VERY excited if you ever overtake.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Middle Lane.. In the Highlands????

there aint no middle lane on the A9 (or any where else in the Highlands.. the A9 at best and infrequently is Duel carriageway mostly single lane.. even some of our "trunk routes" are single track with pacing places.!!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Re: You wanna try..

I am talking about a small box trailer with my inflatable, outboard, maybe a few hold alls and cool box fills it. Owning a coupe and having a boat 80 miles from home and taking two dogs sailing can be a little restrictive on space.

My car is quick off the mark, when I floor it on the straights and the vtec jumps into action I can be out and in pretty handy. I don't go for it on bends or where I can't see ahead, though it is easier at night when you can see the headlights for miles.

The other thing that gets me to smile is when you can see the road ahead for miles even when winding over the hedges etc. You overtake someone coming into a bend which you have already checked before the approach to be clear, yet the hand gestures and flashing lights as you go past just show how many people only see as far as the end of their bonnet.

Another thing, I follow someone around bends as they coast into corners (lethal), I keep a good distance as I would hate to be unsure of my driving like they must be and have someone hanging on my arse. We open to a shortish straight and they put their foot down, often stopping me going past, or even as happens they floor it as I am cruising past, why do people do this, would they rather have me angry behind them trying to get past, or see me dissapear off in front leaving them to travel at their leisurly speed.

Driving tests should definately teach people to drive on roads where there are no instructions, because my experience is that most can't. You probably read this and think I am a lout, so be it, I take driving seriously, if it is raining or slippery expect to be queing behind me. Most of my passengers fall asleep in the passenger seat, this is not the behaviour of people uncomfortable with their driver.

Maybe I do drive fast, but don't judge me be the characteristics of the standard production car, I have a sports car that can pull up quickly and then get going as quick, this means I drive into corners, I do not drive like this in a 'normal' car.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ukstaffords.com>http://www.ukstaffords.com</A>

SteveE

www.xisis.net
Does anyone know of a study into how many people are killed by police speeding, against those killed by Jo public, and then looked at how many Police cars on the road and how many Jo public's car, and look at the percentages..... I think the findings if one had been done, would not be published...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
The film belonged to the police didn't it as it was the on board (police car) camera, so the police had control over broadcast I would have thought.
We appear to be agreeing but while I don't slow at every junction I do consider the probabilities. The point I made about traffic lights will no doubt depend on the area you drive in. The chance of a car crossing on red in the SE is not an improbability but highly probable if you ignored this possiblity you would eventual have the misfortune of comming to grief. I was at a set of lights they were red, it was a three lane junction under an underpass. I was in the left lane a car was in the right lane when a lorry (foreign) passed between us at about 40 mph, if a car had been crossing the occupants would have been killed. So I have good reason to be cautious as I said no good being in the right but dead.
Also it appears we must now watch out for cars travelling legally on the motorway at 120+ mph.
Anyway glad we agreed on main points.
Stay safe!
Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>