Outboard up or down in the Marina?

sprocker

Visit site
We are about to take delivery of our new boat, which has an outboard engine. As I am new to modern outboards I have been trying to find out what is 'best practice' in terms of leaving her docked with the engine tilted up, or left down in the water as our outdrives always have been. Looking around our marina I notice that it is approximately 50/50.

I'm interested to know what the forums thoughts are.

z1ppy

Visit site
We lift ours out of the water to prevent fouling. I also moor stern too so the expensive engine bit isnt out in the fairway where it could accidentally get clouted.

most bigger outboard have a hose flush point where you can attached the hose and flush through even when the engine is tilted. (no need for engine to be running)

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
My outboard manual says to store it in the vertical position, which I didn't want to do because one of the biggest advantages of an outboard is that you can tilt it out of the water to avoid fouling, electrolysis and general deterioration. I asked the dealer, and they confirmed dpb's point that it's to avoid the risk of damage due to freezing, so I tilt it up out of the water during the season, but leave it vertical in winter, when it's stored on a trailer on my drive anyway.

Maybe the people who leave their outboards down in the summer just read the manual and took it at face value.