osmosis

kris

Visit site
info please from anyone who has carried out d.i.y osmosis treatment;does it work and how painfull is it?.would you do it again?

G

I did a Hurley 22. Big blisters all over so used angle-grinder with sanding pad and coarse un-clogable pads initially to take off down to glass throughout. left for 2yrs to dry out compleatly. Abraided and washed with fresh water then left overnight to dry. Weather forcast dry for a couple of weeks so applied 3 coats ` Blakes Osmosis Treatment `at recomended intervals then keyed in antifoul, 3 coats and relaunched. So far no problems ( 2 seasons ). Allthis was done outdoors on friends garden and the grass grew green again after a couple of cuts but beware of neibours washing when sanding and WEAR A MASK. Easy DIY job if time consuming, great feeling of satisfaction at saving £1000- 1500.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by harrygreasley on Wed Jul 4 11:13:01 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
My last effort was on a Spirit 28 about 17 years old, I got tired of repairing two bob size blisters every time I pulled out to antifoul.
Ground off the gel coat to glass with a 4-inch angle grinder fitted with a concrete grinding wheel that looks like galaxy swirl, it really takes it off fast and will not clog.
I let her dry out for 3 months and gave it a sanding then applied micro balloons and re-faired the hull. Then applied 3 coats of resin, followed by 3 coats of International paints (Interprotect) designed to prevent osmosis. Then a mist coat of Interprotect and applied the first coat of antifouling before the mist coat dried to ensure a good key. Completed the job with 3 coats of Interspray 900 on the hull above the water line and it still looks fantastic.
This not easy work, you will need a lot of time, a boatload of effort and even more patience. The end result is very satisfying and cost effective.
Knock yourself out……OldSaltOz.

Roy

Visit site
I have done treatment on several boats and found using a grinder the most effective. It is hard work but you will save a lot of money. The bulk of the price for a yard to do it is the labour. Material generaly comes to about 1000 pounds, depending on the boat size and extent of damage.
Buy a good quality filter mask! the choise of products to use are big. International, blakes, west system, hempels, stoppani to name a few. Most of them supply techincal books on their products and how to use them. Read these first and then choose.
Don't dispair, it is hard work but very rewarding at the end.
Yes I would do it again!