Orca attack

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
The problem as I see it is that it maybe only 3 or 4 Orcas that actually do the damage, you cant blame the hole pod or even all Orcas for the antics of a few, can you?

You may well have a point regarding the numbers.
However, the consensus is growing among the scientific community that having a go at yacht rudders is 'learned behaviour'.
There have been reports of adults showing youngsters how to do it.If it is indeed learned behaviour it would follow that it can also be unlearned.
And I am not sure that just 'sitting there, doing nothing and waiting for them to go away' is the way to achieve this.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
If you can’t beat them join them. ?

Adopt a whale or dolphin
Excellent idea. I see that they have an Adult/Junior option and the Junior ones seem to be causing more problems. Even better, you get monthly updates about your adopted whale. Daily updates would be better but monthly is better than nothing if it let's me know exactly where at least one Orca will be located.

Goldie

Visit site
From the latest Noonsite newsletter:

“Atlantic:
As orca interactions with yachts off the Iberian peninsula in Europe continue, the Spanish authorities have launched Orcinus this month, so that yachts can see orca sightings and interactions as they happen. Orcinus is a free reporting and tracking app which allows users to view and make reports relating to Orca whale sightings and encounters. This means that as soon as a sailboat using the App sights orcas, they can report it on the App and all other App users will be notified of the position. This is a huge step in helping sailors plan their route safely around the Iberian peninsula.”

The App is available FOC on the App Store.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Just had this footage appear on my facebook feed, some of you wont be able to see it as you dont do FB. What it shows is the view of an orca attacking a fishing boat with twin outboards ( 2 x 150 hp ? ) on the back. Some of the comments are quite interesting, in that people are saying the antenae in the sharks noses are picking up the electrical field from the engine, it is similar to that of a fish. The Orca is definitely attacking, sorry interacting in an inquisitive manor with the engines and yes they are running

abc4explore - search results | Facebook

Edit Not Orca its a shark

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Just had this footage appear on my facebook feed, some of you wont be able to see it as you dont do FB. What it shows is the view of an orca attacking a fishing boat with twin outboards ( 2 x 150 hp ? ) on the back. Some of the comments are quite interesting, in that people are saying the antenae in the sharks noses are picking up the electrical field from the engine, it is similar to that of a fish. The Orca is definitely attacking, sorry interacting in an inquisitive manor with the engines and yes they are running

abc4explore - search results | Facebook
Confusing that you mention Orca attacking and then sharks picking up electrical field from the outboards. Sharks do have electroreceptors but I'm not aware of Orca having very well developed electroreceptors. It is well known wrt sharks but less information relating to Orca. I think some dolphins were found to have the ability to detect prey via weak electrical activity.

I haven't seen the video and don't know if it shows orca or sharks.

Last edited: