Orca attack

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Enjoy Mazagon.....er, its a bit hard to. Not much there.
Rota and Cadiz are both fab when you have passed through the 11 billion pot markers on the way. :)

As you say, not much in Mazagon and one of the marinas frequently not having the berth size requested so charge more for a larger one. We usually anchor outside, off the beach and give the town a miss. Rota is nice but, a ferry ride away from Cadiz which is well worth visiting. if not anchoring outside the small marina behind the new bridge in Cadiz, we use Port America marina. Good showers and washing machines but long walk into town.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Enjoy Mazagon.....er, its a bit hard to. Not much there.

Rota and Cadiz are both fab when you have passed through the 11 billion pot markers on the way. :)
Cadiz tomorrow and we’re resting a day or two there. Then Tarifa to check out of Spain (we’re going to Morocco after all ). We might have to divert to Gibraltar en route.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
As you say, not much in Mazagon and one of the marinas frequently not having the berth size requested so charge more for a larger one. We usually anchor outside, off the beach and give the town a miss. Rota is nice but, a ferry ride away from Cadiz which is well worth visiting. if not anchoring outside the small marina behind the new bridge in Cadiz, we use Port America marina. Good showers and washing machines but long walk into town.
No berthing problems. One night was 17 euros. I’ve just logged into the Wi-Fi of the bar on the waterfront. Download speed 457 Mb. The fastest I’ve EVER seen. Upload not much slower.
No orcas so far.

capnsensible

Visit site
Cadiz tomorrow and we’re resting a day or two there. Then Tarifa to check out of Spain (we’re going to Morocco after all ). We might have to divert to Gibraltar en route.
There are no berths in Tarifa. Anchor off and get sandblasted. Tough dinghy landing. Better honestly, crank on to Gib.

Goldie

Visit site
Friends stamped out of Spain by walking to the border (with Gib’) from La Linea Marina. They took their ship’s papers, marina receipt etc. and it took a couple of phone calls by the border control guys (they didn’t know what to do) but passports were duly stamped. This was in June. They were off to Morocco of course…

Last month, we simply walked into La Linea from our transit berth in Gibraltar and were stamped out of Spain when we walked back in to Gib’.

GHA

Visit site
Cadiz tomorrow
Wonderful place, spent a summer there & got to know a load of people, Flamenco seeps out of every crack int the walls there.

A fav eatery, restaurant downstairs in an old water cistern with tapas upstairs. >>
Google Maps
& vague memories of an excellent bakery across the street from there & up a bit

steve yates

Visit site
It doesn't matter who heard of the CA before this project, what matters is that it has been widely publicised and now most reports are from non-Brit, non-member sailors. The work is free for all to benefit from and this has been recognised by affected sailors of many nationalities.

It was indeed a sailor who came up with the “Herminio” reverse manoeuvre and then several more. However that was declared illegal by the authorities. Behind the scenes the CA persuaded the GTOA to lobby the authorities to approve reversing, which they did. The Portuguese ICNF relented and lobbying of Spain’s MITECO continues behind the scenes.

GTOA hadn’t lobbied before because they were not convinced this was a long term solution (and as non-sailors thought it might be dangerous, which in certain circumstances it obviously could be).

Recent reports suggest that some GLADIS orcas are not deterred by reversing. We are asking people who reversed to advise at what point they started, whether they reversed in a straight line or circles and as much detail as they can so that we can check the comments to see whether there is a common factor where reversing fails or succeeds. I am particularly interested to find out whether the oft stated recommendation for reversing in circles is the indeed best way. You can perhaps imagine how long the volunteers involved in this spend publicising the project and studying comments.

And so frankly, were I sailing in that area I would have no hesitation in filling in a form, given that I am worse affected than those passing through and have a greater interest in finding a solution. Those who are savvy with their smart phone would take about 6-7 minutes to fill in an uneventful passage report (I timed myself before telling people online that it takes less than 10 minutes). We have had at least one interaction form filled in at sea immediately after what must be a traumatic experience.

To achieve statistical significance we need as many reports as we can get. And remember that the area for reporting uneventful passages is restricted and moves, so it’s only for certain months of the season that a local sailor could submit an uneventful passage report.

I‘ll leave that thought here, thanks to all who have supported the CA project.

Why on earth does it take 6-10 mins to fill in a report saying that nowt happened?
Perhaps the CA need to revise the report procedure to make it as simple and quick as possible if you want folk to bother doing it?