Orca attack

JayDomK

Visit site

JayDomK

Visit site
Given that Orcas seem fairly plentiful in the NE Atlantic, why don't the relevant authorities just cull this problematic pod before someone dies and/or they teach others?
I guess there are too many fish in the sea, that's why there are so many orcas. If we catch more fish, there will be fewer orcas. Or what do orcas eat? Isn't it fish?
In any case, killing the orcas might provoke their aggression, I think.

Laser310

Visit site
You don’t expect neutral reporting from the Beeb. There’s always an agenda. I was dismayed to see not a shred of concern for sailors’ safety or of their boats: "We have to remember that the sea is their home - we're the intruders,"

The moralizing tone is obnoxious and unhelpful - why does everything have to be considered in terms of good/bad.., right/wrong. It's really a very religious way of looking at the natural world.

many animals move in and out of the sea regularly...

Are seals "intruders" when they are on land? Or, maybe they are intruders when they are in the sea?

I occasionally see deer swimming in the sea - are they "intruders"?

cherod

Visit site
You don’t expect neutral reporting from the Beeb. There’s always an agenda. I was dismayed to see not a shred of concern for sailors’ safety or of their boats: "We have to remember that the sea is their home - we're the intruders,"
Correct , whats your problem with that , are you denying this . ?

Whaup367

Visit site
No wrong. It’s ours now. We took it. They need to learn who their masters are, because if they don’t, it won’t end well for them.
Assuming you're right, we now need to manage it responsibly because if we don't it won't end well for us.
Extermination may not be a good option.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
It's the only option man knows.......kill it...

And when it comes to unpleasant dogs, wasps, mosquitoes, rats, mice, jelly fish, sharks and most anything else considered dangerous or even just a pest to mankind, that option's widely supported. However, any species considered cutesy, photogenic or that has had a heart-warming film made about it must be protected at all costs.

wingcommander

Visit site
And when it comes to unpleasant dogs, wasps, mosquitoes, rats, mice, jelly fish, sharks and most anything else considered dangerous or even just a pest to mankind, that option's widely supported. However, any species considered cutesy, photogenic or that has had a heart-warming film made about it must be protected at all costs.
Needs a heart warming film about orcas, oh wait hang on a mo.?.
Free summat or other

Very true though, mankind needs some serious education in sharing and caring.

Boathook

Visit site
A few years back if I saw a wasp near me it was game for killing. Now I leave them alone, partly as they take part in pest control and I believe pollination and I just don't see many nowadays.

Cariadco

Visit site
My Mate's Rowing across the Atlantic, and this is what this morning greeted him with.....
View attachment 172323
Sadly, just been told that my Mate Died. His back-up team lost contact with him whilst heading for Cape Verde. A passing ship went to check and found him dead in the Cabin. He was Diabetic, but dunno if this was the cause of his demise. RIP Mike Holt.